Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

Just now, Sockin said:

Sorry to bring it back around to this but the Twins not having met with Wheeler just reminds me of the Padres not having met with Machado last offseason. 

Except wheeler wants to sign early and has made that clear while machado was willing to sit out.

The padres got involved because it was a slow market. 

10 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Jon Lester was a way better pitcher at the time of his signing than Bumgarner is now. He was coming off a five win season, 2.46 ERA/2.80 FIP over 219 innings. 

Strasburg in 2019 is a better comp for Lester in 2015. 

Similar in a lot of ways , not every way. They are not identical twins. Basically a lefty FA signing to jump start the rebuild's finishing touches. I can't remember everything I found similar. Mostly it was age, innings pitched, post season innings pitched ,similar things for their careers. More than a one season comp that you are doing.

I' m on the Wheeler bandwagon along with everyone else and my post already said people made valid points about his downside in the very 1at paragraph.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

I can. 

I agree with the logic too. Wheeler is a better pitching acquisition than Didi or Castellanos are hitting acquisitions.

THOUGH, castellanos at cinci's stadium is some whiplash.

They did just way over pay Mike Moustakas after all

6 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

Blue jays have been a weird team. Definitely difference between this season and offseason is more teams that you are like "realllly?" are jumping into add. Obviously, since they have some of their top prospects up you don't want to waste too much time, but just a shortwhile ago they traded stroman where they had 2 years of affordable contract.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Blue jays have been a weird team. Definitely difference between this season and offseason is more teams that you are like "realllly?" are jumping into add. Obviously, since they have some of their top prospects up you don't want to waste too much time, but just a shortwhile ago they traded stroman where they had 2 years of affordable contract.

The other big problem is Jay's might have to put up more money cause the taxes in Canada are horrible 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

No clue at how legit this account is, but the information he’s provided last month is well-worded, if nothing else

https://mobile.twitter.com/HotStoveintel/status/1201915072114823168

One can interpret those things in positive and negative ways, I think it's pretty clear sox will be aiming still pretty high on a second pitcher. That's what I choose to believe there.

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

No clue at how legit this account is, but the information he’s provided last month is well-worded, if nothing else

https://mobile.twitter.com/HotStoveintel/status/1201915072114823168

I'll go ahead and say the 89 follower twitter account knows nothing; he's literally just regurgitating what FG's said they believed the White Sox would do.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

One can interpret those things in positive and negative ways, I think it's pretty clear sox will be aiming still pretty high on a second pitcher. That's what I choose to believe there.

Would certainly be weird if the Sox ended up signing Hamels and Castellanos. 

From the Hamels "news" today, I take that to mean that Hamels is on the back burner and they want to nab their big target before even moving onto tier 2. Tier 2 may be contingent on what they get in Tier 1. That, to me, was the best news of the day because it showed that the Sox aren't focused on the Hamels of the class right now.

9 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'll go ahead and say the 89 follower twitter account knows nothing; he's literally just regurgitating what FG's said they believed the White Sox would do.

He's actually doing quite the opposite. So far I've read that the Sox aren't in on Wheeler and want to go short term.... and that they don't like the OF free agent options because of defense. That's fairly counter to the narrative at this point. 

EDIT: OK, nevermind. this guy's an idiot. tweet from 2018 suggesting the Sox trade Luis Robert to the Marlins for Realmuto and Prado. #lolemoji#

Edited by Charlie Haeger's Knuckles

2 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

He's actually doing quite the opposite. So far I've read that the Sox aren't in on Wheeler and want to go short term.... and that they don't like the OF free agent options because of defense. That's fairly counter to the narrative at this point. 

Huh? FG's said they were seeking short term, high AAV deals.

Where have you read that the White Sox aren't in on Wheeler? That tweet that I am citing is one of the only places I have seen that they weren't in on Wheeler.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Huh? FG's said they were seeking short term, high AAV deals.

Where have you read that the White Sox aren't in on Wheeler? That tweet that I am citing is one of the only places I have seen that they weren't in on Wheeler.

I edited my post. 

The Sox FO cannot get away with avoiding big ticket pitchers in favor of mediocre slop after last year's disastrous winter and after wasting money on Abreu.

They have to make big moves. They are boxed into a corner. There's no more putting lipstick on a pig. They have to spend....and not on short term trash.

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

The Sox FO cannot get away with avoiding big ticket pitchers in favor of mediocre slop after last year's disastrous winter and after wasting money on Abreu.

They have to make big moves. They are boxed into a corner. There's no more putting lipstick on a pig. They have to spend....and not on short term trash.

That is the logical way of looking at it. But with this front office, you never know.

The way I read this off-season so far from the White Sox, and this could be wrong, is they were aggressive out of the gate and gave their near top offers for the guys they wanted.

Wheeler got the offer, was happy because he wanted to sign early, but obviously wanted to shop around that offer. The Sox felt good that they were offering what he wanted, and thought he would decide quickly like Grandal. Wheeler wants to do his due diligence, and shop the offer around. Some teams are interested, but maybe not at the White Sox price. Other teams haven't bid as they're not sure they want to go there.

Wheeler sets a deadline before the Winter Meetings, and we sit and wait to see if someone beat the Sox offer or if it holds up. 

This is pure speculation though.

12 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

That is the logical way of looking at it. But with this front office, you never know.

Signing a pitcher for longer than 4 years will be a big test to see if they've learned anything from the last few years. They are in a position where they have to bend to the market and take a risk. No more self-imposed caps on years or money. None of this "Players wants to play for the White Sox" bullshit.

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The way I read this off-season so far from the White Sox, and this could be wrong, is they were aggressive out of the gate and gave their near top offers for the guys they wanted.

Wheeler got the offer, was happy because he wanted to sign early, but obviously wanted to shop around that offer. The Sox felt good that they were offering what he wanted, and thought he would decide quickly like Grandal. Wheeler wants to do his due diligence, and shop the offer around. Some teams are interested, but maybe not at the White Sox price. Other teams haven't bid as they're not sure they want to go there.

Wheeler sets a deadline before the Winter Meetings, and we sit and wait to see if someone beat the Sox offer or if it holds up. 

I agree with this completely. And it lines up with the 100m offer that was being speculated weeks ago. 

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Short term higher AAV means DK, Ryu, and Hamels. You're not getting Wheeler for less than 5 and 100. I think a few weeks back people were saying we offered him 100 million. I believe that and think we are the high bidder. I think the short years and AAV is for Cole and Stras. 

I agree as well, just wonder what Wheeler thinks he is actually worth.

17 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Hopefully Wheeler circles back to the Sox should a team outbid us. I think he probably would.

3 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Hopefully Wheeler circles back to the Sox should a team outbid us. I think he probably would.

Yeah, I think the White Sox would earn that right as the first time in with a big offer. 

If you nickle and dime your way to the top, you may not earn the right to counter.

Also, the Sox might want to consider not calling the agents bluff this time around.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer