Sox Officially Sign Edwin Encarnacion (1YR/$12M), Kodi Medeiros DFA

Orlando

29 minutes ago, Drwhoo1 said:

SMH. We finally have good prospects and some want to trade them. Not 1 but let’s group 2 or 3 of them together.

I hope you have paid attention to cost of starting pitching this offseason and who is available the next one. Anytime you could trade a prospect at the least valuable position for TOR type pitcher you’d do it. 

Also I like Clevinger better the next 3 years than a guy who just scored a 7/$245M deal.

Also I forgot to preface my previous post, I would not trade Collins even after this signing, let him start in Charlotte and see if he hits well enough to serve as the 1B/DH of the future and make Vaughn expendable.

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Where do I go on fangraphs to find out exactly how pitiful the Sox were in RF and DH last year? 

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=6&season=2019&month=0&season1=2019&ind=0&team=4&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

click the team stats header

Edited by mqr

2 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

The curse of winning the offseason, haha.  Didn’t the Sox “win the offseason” when they added Samadzija, Melky, and Robertson?

Yup

And when they blew it up when they dealt Sale and Eaton (to some)

And when they added Frazier and Lawrie

25 minutes ago, oldsox said:

What does this signing do to Collins?  Trip back to Charlotte?

I'd prefer him getting as much playing time as possible

Ultimately, he can be used as trade bait at the deadline OR come up when McCann walks in FA

49 minutes ago, GradMc said:

Excuse me this ownership has a long way to go before crow starts showing up on anyone's menu.

For those of us that have endured the Reinsdorf Group and their 5 playoff appearences in 38 years and none in the last 11, ever eating crow is a non-event.

$120 million is chump change.

Keep it moving.

And they should be in the hunt for Mookie and a host of others next off-season.

Stop making excuses for them.

So we just tolerate boneheaded takes like this now? 

cool

a good organization spends when it is time to spend. I will applaud them for spending when they need. They can only spend so much all at once. 

Edited by Eloy Jiménez
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I think they were like -5 WAR IIRC between the 2.

Yeah. I thought the Sox were worse in RF than they actually were. 

The Sox were -1.3 in RF and -3.4 at DH. 

Between the two, they were -4.7. Just at those two positions alone, going by Steamer, the Sox added 7.7 WAR. Don't underestimate how that is a massive upgrade. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Between the two, they were -4.7. Just at those two positions alone, going by Steamer, the Sox have gone from -4.7 to +3.0

That's a massive upgrade. 

They don’t look as bad there because Leury did play a lot of right, but him playing there meant one of the other bums was in center. 

7 minutes ago, mqr said:

The difference between this offseason and ‘15/‘16 is that the core is significantly meatier. Instead of building around 4 guys, it’s 7 or 8 or 9. 

And the farm system is significantly deeper, even past the top guys.

Here's a look at what the Top 30 was back then: http://www.chicagonow.com/future-sox/2016/01/top-30-white-sox-prospects-preseason-2016-full-list/

Though he didn't look great in the postseason, he finished the regular season having hit .244/.344/.531 with 34 home runs. One potential red flag: he was underneath the ball far more often in 2019 than usual, resulting in a sky-high launch angle (over 22 degrees) and pop-up rate. Could that be a sign of decaying barrel control? Encarnacion will turn 37 in January, meaning he'll arrive at camp with "Attrition Risk" written on his forehead until he can prove otherwise.

For his career, Encarnacion owns an OPS+ of 125 across parts of 15 major league seasons. His 414 career home runs rank 52nd on the all-time list. Last season, White Sox designated hitters combined to bat a meager .205/.286/.356 with 17 home runs in 550 at-bats, so even if Encarnacion endures some decline he should still constitute a hefty upgrade over that 2019 baseline.

It's been an active winter for the South Siders, who are primed to get back to postseason for the first time since 2008 when they lost in the ALDS.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/white-sox-strike-up-christmas-day-deal-for-free-agent-edwin-encarnacion-per-reports/

3 minutes ago, hi8is said:

It’s been genuinely shocking and very welcomed.

This would have been a perfect offseason had they landed Wheeler. Keuchel is a nice consolation prize. 

Given that Wheeler didn't want to leave the East Coast, this is as well as the Sox could have done. Hell of an offseason. They kept a lot of payroll flexibility as well. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

This would have been a perfect offseason had they landed Wheeler. Keuchel is a nice consolation prize. 

Given that Wheeler didn't want to leave the East Coast, this is as good as the Sox could have done. Hell of an offseason. 

Yup... and I also think that what they’ve done and the pattern of financial aggression will bode well in the coming years if they do enter into free agent talks for someone like Betts.

31 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I think they were like -5 WAR IIRC between the 2.

25 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Between the two, they were -4.7. Just at those two positions alone, going by Steamer, the Sox added 7.7 WAR. Don't underestimate how that is a massive upgrade. 

On that subject: 

6 minutes ago, Quin said:

And, as we all discussed as nauseum, Mazara has the chance to be so much more.

And he had an OPS+ of 123 against RHP. Against LHP, Leury should play and his OPS+ there was 105.

Our idiot manager is going to fuck this up, isn’t he?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, The Sir said:

And he had an OPS+ of 123 against RHP. Against LHP, Leury should play and his OPS+ there was 105.

Our idiot manager is going to fuck this up, isn’t he?

Lol. Don't remind me that Renteria is still the manager you fucking buzzkill. 

(Half joking and 100% ball busting) 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• knightni changed the title to Sox Officially Sign Edwin Encarnacion (1YR/$12M), Kodi Medeiros DFA
  • bmags unpinned this topic