Jump to content
caulfield12

COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

Recommended Posts

I said it before and I hope this doesn't blow up in my face, but take notes at how Newsome (CA's governor) has stayed away from taking pot shots at the president and has instead focused on flat out working together with the federal government.  Pissing contest be damn, none of it matters when discussing all of the lives at risk and through it, he has actually been relatively complimentary of the president (maybe because he's smart enough to recognize the fact that it is better to put differences aside and focus entirely on doing the best you can to tackle the situation at hand - period).  Ignore the mudslinging (even if the pres wants to).  Be the bigger and better person for the sake of your state and the country.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

 

 

This is good news, though. Illinois testing rates continue to climb steadily.

 

EUrzjOTXsAAhtWU?format=jpg&name=small

 

 

edit2: this is not so good news:

 

Probably short on data but that positive cases line looks pretty linear at this point in spite of the explosion of tests. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I said it before and I hope this doesn't blow up in my face, but take notes at how Newsome (CA's governor) has stayed away from taking pot shots at the president and has instead focused on flat out working together with the federal government.  Pissing contest be damn, none of it matters when discussing all of the lives at risk and through it, he has actually been relatively complimentary of the president (maybe because he's smart enough to recognize the fact that it is better to put differences aside and focus entirely on doing the best you can to tackle the situation at hand - period).  Ignore the mudslinging (even if the pres wants to).  Be the bigger and better person for the sake of your state and the country.  

Even still, it is a massive, massive problem that anyone needs to have been kissing the president's ass to get help during a global crisis. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mqr said:

Even still, it is a massive, massive problem that anyone needs to have been kissing the president's ass to get help during a global crisis. 

No - It is just people need to ignore the politics.  Who the F cares who started what. When people are doing, get over it. Trump playing nicely with California actually shows he can do it too.  The problem is too many are completely using this for their own political gain and it pisses him off (and I'm not justifying him in the equation...and he should cut through it all and if he did he'd probably be a shoe-in for re-election).  But it is why I have so much issue with the current state of affairs, such a vast minority look through things with anything other than their specific color classes.  Everyone needs to shut the fuck up about politics and focus entirely on the serious matters at hand. Period.  

This is coming from someone who can't stand either party most of the time at this point.  But I do think the fact that the president can play nice with the most liberal state in the union is a positive (and i hope it continues).  As I said earlier, I really admire the job Newsome has done thus far during the crisis.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, he's playing nice because he knows you've got appease the toddler's ego or he will make you and your state suffer fatal consequences.

 

 

Edit: you can't really ignore politics here. It's an inherently political situation controlled largely by politicians. Politicians who have failed massively and continue to fail deserve criticism, not praise for a delicate ego. We need to care about "who started what" because these same people who are responsible for such an egregious early failure are still largely in charge and continue to make substantial failures. Pretending that doesn't matter won't fix things. Pretending that there isn't a deeply political core to the problem or that it can simply be ignored misses how this entire thing, from the lack of testing to taking the problem seriously to getting supplies to the Congressional response, is to miss most of the story.

 

 

Edited by StrangeSox
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

No - It is just people need to ignore the politics.  Who the F cares who started what. When people are doing, get over it. Trump playing nicely with California actually shows he can do it too.  The problem is too many are completely using this for their own political gain and it pisses him off (and I'm not justifying him in the equation...and he should cut through it all and if he did he'd probably be a shoe-in for re-election).  But it is why I have so much issue with the current state of affairs, such a vast minority look through things with anything other than their specific color classes.  Everyone needs to shut the fuck up about politics and focus entirely on the serious matters at hand. Period.  

This is coming from someone who can't stand either party most of the time at this point.  But I do think the fact that the president can play nice with the most liberal state in the union is a positive (and i hope it continues).  As I said earlier, I really admire the job Newsome has done thus far during the crisis.  

Jas, Newsom has done a great job, but like others have said, it's because he knows how the play the game with Trump. You have to kiss the ring in order to "get in good" with the President. It shouldn't matter what any state has said about the President in the past, the Federal Government should be doing everything in their power to support each state. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Yeah, he's playing nice because he knows you've got appease the toddler's ego or he will make you and your state suffer fatal consequences.

 

 

Edit: you can't really ignore politics here. It's an inherently political situation controlled largely by politicians. Politicians who have failed massively and continue to fail deserve criticism, not praise for a delicate ego.

 

 

And like I said...someone needs to break the vicious cycle and stop PRETENDING that this is a one sided conversation. Both sides continue to do this...PERIOD.  So thank god someone was finally a grownup and acted kindly and wow, the president acted kindly in response. Could we actually try to do this more?  God that would be a fucking great outcome of this entire mess.  

None of us would allow our children to do what either side of the aisle does in this day and age. None of us. Politicians need a reminder of the golden rules and we need to start voting more that way (vs. focusing on absolutisms).  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tony said:

Jas, Newsom has done a great job, but like others have said, it's because he knows how the play the game with Trump. You have to kiss the ring in order to "get in good" with the President. It shouldn't matter what any state has said about the President in the past, the Federal Government should be doing everything in their power to support each state. 

 

 

And Newsome was historically vicious to Trump.  Fact is he bucked up and did something and the president responded kindly as well. Takes two to tango. It isn't like the president responded with, its about time you figured out how amazing I am. Instead, he actually flashed back and commended the job a Democratic governor was doing.  Geeze - I wonder what would happen if more politicians behaved this way (Trump and all parties included).  I guarantee we'd see a lot more progress than the current state of affairs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

And like I said...someone needs to break the vicious cycle and stop PRETENDING that this is a one sided conversation. Both sides continue to do this...PERIOD.  So thank god someone was finally a grownup and acted kindly and wow, the president acted kindly in response. Could we actually try to do this more?  God that would be a fucking great outcome of this entire mess.  

None of us would allow our children to do what either side of the aisle does in this day and age. None of us. Politicians need a reminder of the golden rules and we need to start voting more that way (vs. focusing on absolutisms).  

 

I do not think it's actually a good thing that governors need to placate the toddler in charge with kind words or risk him deliberately depriving their state's residents of crucial aid during a pandemic. In fact, I think that is an extremely terrible thing and a core part of why the federal government continues to mismanage this thing so horribly.

 

Let me be blunt: Trump's mishandling is going to cause thousands of unnecessary American deaths. His fragile ego is causing suffering in multiple states across the nation. He and his failed administration deserves every bit of criticism they've gotten for this and more. That some governors correctly recognize that the person at the top of the federal government is so unfit to lead that they need to shower him with praise or risk his wrath is a damning indictment. I understand the tough position that Trump's malfeasance puts people like Newsome in, so I get why they are choosing the placate the toddler so he doesn't block medical supplies. But the problem is still inherently political and it still points to damning failures in one particular direction.

 

This isn't the "golden rule" at play here. It's the head of the federal government very clearly putting American lives at risk if he doesn't get the flattery he wants. Failures in leadership and management, especially those with such dire consequences, should never be immune from criticism. 

Edited by StrangeSox
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

And Newsome was historically vicious to Trump.  Fact is he bucked up and did something and the president responded kindly as well. Takes two to tango. It isn't like the president responded with, its about time you figured out how amazing I am. Instead, he actually flashed back and commended the job a Democratic governor was doing.  Geeze - I wonder what would happen if more politicians behaved this way (Trump and all parties included).  I guarantee we'd see a lot more progress than the current state of affairs.  

Absolutely.  CNN has become basically unreadable during this outbreak.  Everything is non-stop finger pointing and government shaming.  I’m appalled.  Like don’t these people have kids?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure, but it's a lot easier for leaders to change their tone. 

When I read what you'd written, Charlottesville came to mind almost immediately.

But this isn't about states' rights vs. Federalism.   It's bout clarity.   About everyone being on the same side... pulling in the same direction.   We also have to waste time educating governors about asymptomatic transmission or the dangers to the elderly of attending church services in Florida. 

Everyone should act like they have it Covid and behave accordingly... and thank God they don't.   At a certain point, there has to be a strategic plan for getting through the next four months, and especially beyond instead of reacting. 

Governors are going to have to work together to share equipment after peaks are over... and avoid too many peaks occurring simultaneously to prevent the entire health care system from collapsing.   Decide on a mask policy and stick with it.   Stop bidding up the prices of ventilators to $50,000 but agree to a framework for the order in which critical areas will need them. 

Unfortunately, we're still going to be dealing with states on the back end of this who waited too long because they didn't have surveillance testing to warn of a tsunami coming (see Albany,GA) before it was too late. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad we've found the real problem we need to overcome: governors not being nice enough to Trump.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Absolutely.  CNN has become basically unreadable during this outbreak.  Everything is non-stop finger pointing and government shaming.  I’m appalled.  Like don’t these people have kids?

It's because they DO have kids.  They don't want to see a health care system so decimated (think of all the doctors and nurses dying in Italy from performing so many intubations) that there's not just a threadbare framework left to save their kids or elderly parents when this is all over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Absolutely.  CNN has become basically unreadable during this outbreak.  Everything is non-stop finger pointing and government shaming.  I’m appalled.  Like don’t these people have kids?

If there was a bully on the playground who was taking everyone's lunch money if they didn't praise him as the greatest person ever and my kid finally had enough and popped him in the jaw? I'd be immensely proud.

 

The irony is that Trump hurting anyone who isn't sufficiently praising him is itself a political move. If many governors are out there pointing out the substantial and ongoing federal failures, it damages him politically. If they're all out there praising what a good boy he is (like many of his administration members do in cabinet meetings and these daily briefings, including the medical experts), it makes him look like a strong, competent, capable leader. 

Let me just say that again, for clarity: President Trump is causing Americans to suffer and die by withholding much-needed aid during a pandemic if their states' governors are critical of him. That is monstrous.

 

 

 

 

 

edit: caulfield, kids and multiple family members who are hospital nurses. I don't want them to be deprived of much-needed PPE because Pritzker dared to criticize the Trump administration's ongoing failures or their original failure to prepare for this in any way. 

Edited by StrangeSox
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bernstein's opening statement this morning is a roooooooough listen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who you voted for shouldn't determine if you live or die. The Electoral College shouldn't determine who gets all the supplies they need, who gets more than they ask for, and who gets nowhere near what they need. They are putting health care workers jobs on the line by playing politics and kissing someone's ass. This isn' a reality show competition, it's acually real.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Who you voted for shouldn't determine if you live or die. The Electoral College shouldn't determine who gets all the supplies they need, who gets more than they ask for, and who gets nowhere near what they need. They are putting health care workers jobs on the line by playing politics and kissing someone's ass. 

Why this isn't universally agreed upon is beyond me. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

And Newsome was historically vicious to Trump.  Fact is he bucked up and did something and the president responded kindly as well. Takes two to tango. It isn't like the president responded with, its about time you figured out how amazing I am. Instead, he actually flashed back and commended the job a Democratic governor was doing.  Geeze - I wonder what would happen if more politicians behaved this way (Trump and all parties included).  I guarantee we'd see a lot more progress than the current state of affairs.  

Newsom should be applauded for dropping political differences and getting Trump to help, I agree. 

I'm not OK with the idea that if Newsom doesn't play nice with Trump, the President will brush the state off. I know we've lowered the bar on what it means to be President since 2016, but I still expect the President of the United States to set some sort of example. It's the highest office in the country. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cuomo keeps stressing he wants to work with Trump in partnership, not politics.

Then the Trump says he'd like to run against Cuomo because Fox brought it up - Cuomo shoots it down. Trump suggests hospital workers are stealing masks, New York doesn't need ventilators, won't open the Javitz Center to COVID-19 patients as initially requested. Trump is forcing states to bid against themselves - and the federal government - for supplies

That's not Cuomo playing politics, that's Trump willing to let thousands die to avoid admitting he hasn't botched this and Cuomo trying to improve the situation.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Who you voted for shouldn't determine if you live or die. The Electoral College shouldn't determine who gets all the supplies they need, who gets more than they ask for, and who gets nowhere near what they need. They are putting health care workers jobs on the line by playing politics and kissing someone's ass. This isn' a reality show competition, it's acually real.

Mark this moment for posterity's sake, but I agree with Dick Allen.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Absolutely.  CNN has become basically unreadable during this outbreak.  Everything is non-stop finger pointing and government shaming.  I’m appalled.  Like don’t these people have kids?

This is classic false equivalency. You can't wait around for Trump to act. He is petty and never does half the things he has claimed to have done. He is not a stable genius. He calls liar over many things he is on record as saying. This is a lose-lose. Now the religious are claiming Fauci is out to undermine Trump. This will not have a good ending.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Tony said:

Newsom should be applauded for dropping political differences and getting Trump to help, I agree. 

I'm not OK with the idea that if Newsom doesn't play nice with Trump, the President will brush the state off. I know we've lowered the bar on what it means to be President since 2016, but I still expect the President of the United States to set some sort of example. It's the highest office in the country. 

We should be holding the office to the highest standards, and not some D student, well at least they tried type of garbage.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×