MLB COVID-19 outbreaks: None of as Sept 18

bmags

18 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If you're outdoors and the tables are far apart (as required), I don't see why a mask is required. I won't dine inside until this entire thing is under control which could be months/year+ and in the two times I have gone out to sit outside, I never entered the restaurant.

I think you can never be too safe. My wife took me to Coopers Hawk for my birthday and the outdoor seating was spread apart about 8 feet. We still wore masks, ate, and then put masks back on until after every sip of alcohol. In theory we were probably okay, but if everyone takes that extra precaution it will help alot. 

Why didn’t MLB set up 3 separate bubbles for each division? There has to be at least one city in the east, central, and western part of the country that could have accommodated 10 teams in terms of lodging and having enough fields to play on. If nothing else, teams wouldn’t have had to fly on a plane every few days and potentially spread the virus like we’re seeing now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

There s plenty of Covid around so there's your supply but I never knew there was a demand for it.

very high among patriots and religious folks apparently. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

As Josh said the only good that can come of this is that Manfred is fired.

I've been something of a Manfred apologist before, but under no circumstances should he be able to keep his job now. 

So far, just those two games cancelled so far on MLB.com website.

No updates on the Braves or Reds...or what it would take for the Yankees/Phils to play tmrw.  

Just a two game set, so you’d think they would just hold off.   Then, the Phillies are scheduled to play the return leg Wed and Thursday at Yankee Stadium.

Just now, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Why didn’t MLB set up 3 separate bubbles for each division? There has to be at least one city in the east, central, and western part of the country that could have accommodated 10 teams in terms of lodging and having enough fields to play on. If nothing else, teams wouldn’t have had to fly on a plane every few days and potentially spread the virus like we’re seeing now.

That's what I was advocating. Play three games per day in each stadium. It's a made for TV event anyway. 

1 minute ago, mqr said:

I've been something of a Manfred apologist before, but under no circumstances should he be able to keep his job now. 

He's doing what the owners want. They are the only group that matters as far as him keeping his job. 

1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

West Coast would be where, exactly?   Denver?   

Definitely not Texas, CA, Washington or Phoenix.   East Coast would probably be okay, except FL teams and Atlanta.

For Central, Chicago, St. Louis, Minnesota, Pittsburgh?  Milwaukee?   Not too many super-obvious choices there.  Ohio seems to be a bit of a trouble spot, again.

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

My problem with this - it implies that Manfred is the leader of Baseball. The players want to play, the owners want to play, so Manfred's job as the man at the top is to stop that from happening. 

While that works in theory, the truth is that Manfred is not there to lead baseball - he is there to represent the owner's interests and be the fall guy if shit hits the fan. As long as the owners wanted to play, Manfred was going to greenlight it. He had to, he is a glorified puppet.

So yeah, fire Manfred because fuck him. But things aren't going to change much because the same 30 owners will be pulling the next guy's strings too, and I am worried that the "fire Manfred" takes are just going to make it easier for them to avoid blame. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Texsox said:

A top organization would be releasing a statement that sounds something like this . . .

Based on 14 players testing positive we are following the protocol we established before the season. The infected players and staff will be isolated at their hotel, replacement players are being flown in from the 60 team reserve squad, and tonight's game as been postponed and will be played at a later date, if necessary. 

This - or just state, we will go into a temporary freeze, pause season for 2-3 days, test all of the players, than based upon those findings either extend the delay and/or get back on the playing field with a plan to make up some of the lost games (either extending season by a few days or a week or adding in some double-headers along the way).  

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

West Coast would be where, exactly?   Denver?   

Definitely not Texas, CA, Washington or Phoenix.   East Coast would probably be okay, except FL teams and Atlanta.

For Central, Chicago, St. Louis, Minnesota, Pittsburgh?  Milwaukee?   Not too many super-obvious choices there.  Ohio seems to be a bit of a trouble spot, again.

It doesn't even have to be in separate geographic areas. Just pick three or four stadiums and start filming. 

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

This - or just state, we will go into a temporary freeze, pause season for 2-3 days, test all of the players, than based upon those findings either extend the delay and/or get back on the playing field with a plan to make up some of the lost games (either extending season by a few days or a week or adding in some double-headers along the way).  

Instead they look like they are making it up as they go, 

BTW the Soxtalk Mod team are being careful to socially distance ourselves in different states and no more than two will ever be in the same space. Damn good plan ChiSoxfn

1 minute ago, gusguyman said:

My problem with this - it implies that Manfred is the leader of Baseball. The players want to play, the owners want to play, so Manfred's job as the man at the top is to stop that from happening. 

While that works in theory, the truth is that Manfred is not there to lead baseball - he is there to represent the owner's interests and be the fall guy if shit hits the fan. As long as the owners wanted to play, Manfred was going to greenlight it. He had to, he is a glorified puppet.

So yeah, fire Manfred because fuck him. But things aren't going to change much because the same 30 owners will be pulling the next guy's strings too, and I am worried that the "fire Manfred" takes are just going to make it easier for them to avoid blame. 

I really don't know what Manfred can do. The owners gave him a drop dead season ending date of Sept. 27th. If this turns out to be the downfall of him, it certainly isn't consistent.  They probably should have emphasized the no high fives etc.  stuff they had in the program, but at some point, you have to treat them as adults which would include giving them some responsibility. There may be a very innocent reason for the breakout, it might be just stupidity. We will never know. But they need to eliminate any stupidity. 

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

When it Regularly takes 4-5 days for a person to test positive after an exposure, a 2-3 day shutdown deals with transmission from last week’s exhibition games but not from games over the weekend.

4 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Instead they look like they are making it up as they go, 

BTW the Soxtalk Mod team are being careful to socially distance ourselves in different states and no more than two will ever be in the same space. Damn good plan ChiSoxfn

I, for one, appreciate the effort mods.  If I caught Covid from Soxtalk, I would be in serious trouble at work and at home. ^_^

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

It doesn't even have to be in separate geographic areas. Just pick three or four stadiums and start filming. 

The problem with this is you’re going to need at least four stadiums....three or four staggered games per day times 4 locations.

All the cleaning between games.   Right now, just one highly infected team would very quickly wipe out another 5-6-7 teams over a single weekend. 

It would have worked had all the teams gone into protective bubbles 6-8 weeks ago, but by July it was already too late as cases started increasing as far back as Memorial Day weekend.   It was always more about mitigating owners’ losses than the health of players and their families.

22 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

This is what I don't get - how would you not have had contingency plans for if things hit the fan.  That is just staggering to me for a business the size of MLB.  

I've got some bad news about how smart the people running this multi-billion dollar organization are

e: more accurately, how equipped they are to handle any non-normal situation.

Edited by StrangeSox

24 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

This is what I don't get - how would you not have had contingency plans for if things hit the fan.  That is just staggering to me for a business the size of MLB.  

THey apparently spent all of the time on financials, and none on the actual problem.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

If you go off on your own at contract the virus in a non team activity, like a bar, in the NFL you will face discipline, including not getting paid.

There's virtually zero way to prove, to the level of fining someone, where an infected individual got it.