Sox vs Pittsburgh 8/26 game thread 1:10 first pitch

southsider2k5

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

So say there’s a team that loves Madrigal and wants him in a package for a big time controllable piece. Do you trade him?  Seeing how Mendick is playing, I personally wouldn’t hesitate.

I think everyone needs to slow their rolls a little bit with Mendick.  He's done very well this year, but he's still best as part time utility player.  Madrigal is a much better player and his numbers will eventually dwarf Mendick's (who I think is more of a long term .260/.300/.375 type guy).

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

I'm big on Mendick but this seems rash

Would you rather have a player slashing 253/305/400 (93 OPS+) or 267/319/413 (97).

The first is Danny Mendick before todays game and the latter is 2018 Yolmer Sanchez. 

Mendick is a fantastic back up to have but I think he may be exposed if you actually rely on him as a full time starter.

2 minutes ago, soulfly said:

Listen to everything Giolito is saying about McCann right now.  That tells you everything you need to know about whether the front office should be doing everything they can to extend him.

The only way they can and should sign him (not advocating this) is if they can trade Grandal.. Sounds simple but doing that sort of trade RIGHT AFTER signing him, can't look good to future FA...

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, fathom said:

So say there’s a team that loves Madrigal and wants him in a package for a big time controllable piece. Do you trade him?  Seeing how Mendick is playing, I personally wouldn’t hesitate.

I'd trade Mendick before I'd trade Madrigal.  Unless Madrigal is getting me someone like DeGrom with years of control, pass.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I'd trade Mendick before I'd trade Madrigal.  Unless Madrigal is getting me someone like DeGrom with years of control, pass.

Clearly in my scenario Madrigal has more value.  To me, Mendick just shows how much easier it is to find a viable 2nd baseman than a controllable starter.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Clearly in my scenario Madrigal has more value.  To me, Mendick just shows how much easier it is to find a viable 2nd baseman than a controllable starter.

That's why I would consider it.  Madrigal has value but in this lineup he would be easier to replace vs the hole in RF or in the rotation.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Mendick is very similar to Yolmer.  A good back up who people will come to hate if he's made a permanent every day player.

Madrigal is going to hit .300/.350/.450 year over year and play in All Star games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Madrigal and Anderson are going to be the guys that bring a lot of consistency and balance to a line up full of boom or bust guys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1