Offseason Targets

soxfan49

3 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

That's what Bill Madden of NYT reported a week ago...quoted from one of the Phillies owners.

I think you are mis-remembering.  The team is probably worth about $2 billion on paper.  They probably lost $100-150 million last year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baron said:

Whats your point? 

You said that the Sox are ready to win in 2022 and 2023 but I feel like they are ready to win now. It’s like the fans are soo trained to believe that they are still in the rebuilding years but we have a good playoff team now.

Edited by maloney.adam

In terms of Schwarber and Vaughn......

I like Andrew a lot but we still have very little idea where he is on his development track. Signing Schwarber to a 1 year "prove 2019 was the real you" deal doesn't set the Sox back in any area. If Vaughn starts in AAA and just mashes......then he either stays there and continues to mash, or you bring him up and now you have a log jam at LF/1B/DH. If Eloy-Abreu-Vaughn-Schwarber are all hitting well and one has to sit..........so what? Good problem to have. My gut is one of them isn't and TLR will need to get creative with lineup construction on a daily basis. 

Acquire as many good players as possible, let the chips fall where they fall. Andrew Vaughn at this point in his career shouldn't be stopping the Sox from signing a veteran to a one-year deal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maloney.adam said:

I’m not going to freak out over this until I see what they do this offseason. It amazes me how many people are freaking out over this. 

It amazes you that people are upset because they expect the same thing that's been going on for years and years to still occur?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think you are mis-remembering.  The team is probably worth about $2 billion on paper.  They probably lost $100-150 million last year.

Sorry...I just googled "phillies troubles" and saw the first report...it was later corrected

Madden's piece initially had "Phillies managing partner John Middleton told his baseball people the club lost nearly $2 billion this year." That's their entire estimated franchise value. The piece was later changed to "massive losses (reportedly $145 million)," but with no acknowledgement of the error.

1 minute ago, Tony said:

I like Andrew a lot but the dude but we still have very little idea where he is on his development track. Signing Schwarber to a 1 year "prove 2019 was the real you" deal doesn't set the Sox back in any area. If Vaughn starts in AAA and just mashes......then he either stays there and continues to mash, or you bring him up and now you have a log jam at LF/1B/DH. If Eloy-Abreu-Vaughn-Schwarber are all hitting well and one has to sit..........so what? Good problem to have. My gut is one of them isn't and TLR will need to get creative with lineup construction on a daily basis. 

Acquire as many good players as possible, let the chips fall where they fall. Andrew Vaughn at this point in his career shouldn't be stopping the Sox from signing a veteran to a one-year deal. 

In terms of resource allocation I would MUCH rather see RP, SP, and real RFs spent on, versus a guy like Schwarber.  If we really are going to be cheap, a move like this one wouldn't move the bar nearly as far as some others.

3 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

You said that the Sox are ready to win in 2022 and 2023 but I feel like they are ready to win now. It’s like the fans are soo trained to believe that they are still in the rebuilding years but we have a good playoff team now.

I was being ultra ultra sarcastic and really just reminding the people with memory loss what they said yesterday. 

1 minute ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Sorry...I just googled "phillies troubles" and saw the first report...it was later corrected

Madden's piece initially had "Phillies managing partner John Middleton told his baseball people the club lost nearly $2 billion this year." That's their entire estimated franchise value. The piece was later changed to "massive losses (reportedly $145 million)," but with no acknowledgement of the error.

That makes a lot more sense.  If the Phillies lost 2 billion dollars last year, they would literally be bankrupt.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

In terms of resource allocation I would MUCH rather see RP, SP, and real RFs spent on, versus a guy like Schwarber.  If we really are going to be cheap, a move like this one wouldn't move the bar nearly as far as some others.

None of us have ANY idea if that's true. 

And 2019 Schwarber would 100% help this team. I agree completely with upgrades in SP and RF........but there is zero reason acquiring Kyle Schwarber has to stop you from filling those holes with valuable pieces. 

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

I like Andrew a lot but the dude but we still have very little idea where he is on his development track. Signing Schwarber to a 1 year "prove 2019 was the real you" deal doesn't set the Sox back in any area. If Vaughn starts in AAA and just mashes......then he either stays there and continues to mash, or you bring him up and now you have a log jam at LF/1B/DH. If Eloy-Abreu-Vaughn-Schwarber are all hitting well and one has to sit..........so what? Good problem to have. My gut is one of them isn't and TLR will need to get creative with lineup construction on a daily basis. 

Having quality depth, especially at a low cost, it's not a bad thing. You never know if someone is going to get hurt or if Vaughn is truly ready. I would absolutely consider someone like Schwarber if he could be had for cheap.

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

And 2019 Schwarber would 100% help this team. I agree completely with upgrades in SP and RF........but there is zero reason acquiring Kyle Schwarber has to stop you from filling those holes with valuable pieces. 

If the team isn't targeting top level guys, they are pretty clearly telling on themselves and how they plan on spending this winter.

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Agreed.  And Andrew could always platoon as well to get his feet wet.  I would love it if Andrew came up and just hit major league pitching right away.  But all we have to do is to look at Robert to see that the process is adjustment and readjustment.  This is too important of a time to worry about blocking people.  if he is as good as we hope, he will force the lineup changes. 

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

If the team isn't targeting top level guys, they are pretty clearly telling on themselves and how they plan on spending this winter.

Once again, there is no proof that is true, and additionally....Trevor Bauer and George Springer are not the only two guys on the market that would be significant positive additions to this team. 

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

That makes a lot more sense.  If the Phillies lost 2 billion dollars last year, they would literally be bankrupt.

Yes...but the point is still interesting.  Phillies spent a ton of money on free agents the last three years, lost a fortune this year and the free agents didn't get them close to where they wanted to be...with Braves and Mets in same division and parts of a good core...maybe they try a rebuild aimed at three years from now which would make them interested in three White Sox high potential 20 year old pitchers.   If we want to "vulture" a team...and a contract...might the Phillies not be interesting?  There's something like $275 million left on Harpers contract...imagine this team with him in RF and VAughan at DH.   Would it matter who pitched? 

17 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

It amazes you that people are upset because they expect the same thing that's been going on for years and years to still occur?

Well some people just get so hyped up when there is a confident front office and when there is a big name that comes up as a possibility, however when we don’t sign them, they get let down to an extreme whereas it should be, let’s just wait until the end of the offseason to see what they do first before jumping off the cliff.

Edited by maloney.adam

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

Once again, there is no proof that is true, and additionally....Trevor Bauer and George Springer are not the only two guys on the market that would be significant positive additions to this team. 

But you do realize that's what's been going on for years and years, right? I'm really glad some of you are trying to be optimistic, but you know deep down inside the chances of us getting Springer or Bauer are slim to none.

6 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Having quality depth, especially at a low cost, it's not a bad thing. You never know if someone is going to get hurt or if Vaughn is truly ready. I would absolutely consider someone like Schwarber if he could be had for cheap.

And inevitably Eloy and Jose (maybe) will get banged up. I have no problem getting Schwarber or anyone and still bring Vaughn up. The more talent we add, the deeper we are.  the more flexibility we have, the better we are. It will help with the lineups and will help with the matchups.

4 minutes ago, smellysox said:

And inevitably Eloy and Jose (maybe) will get banged up. I have no problem getting Schwarber or anyone and still bring Vaughn up. The more talent we add, the deeper we are.  the more flexibility we have, the better we are. It will help with the lineups and will help with the matchups.

Schwarber isn't coming here to platoon and ride pine. He is going somewhere to be a full time DH or a desperate team's outfielder. 

• Thanks 1

• bmags locked this topic