Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
southsider2k5

Trevor Bauer Thread (Mazara Free Zone)

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Meatball status confirmed - I think we can all move on here and refocus our thoughts on Bauer again.

Perfect. Although this is hardly an update, it's still funny.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to start a new discussion about pitching and hopefully with no Mazara speak. JUST Bauer or PITCHING.  Thank you

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, starting over please on this topic. I believe our weakness in 2021 is a #3 and #4 and who's going to close if JR doesn't resign Colome. Should Colome be resigned?? Yes, We JR do it? I believe he won't because Hahn may be whispering in his ear that Bummer and or Huer can do it. Maybe Maybe Not. I still believe Stroman and Bauer should be the targets but Bauer my be out of JR'S League. White Sox have never spent 100 to 150 million on pitcher. 78 million for Grandl is most they've ever spent. JR and Williams believe it's risky based on pitchers breaking down.if Bauer stays with his pattern of  1 year deals, then hopefully JR will poney up 30 or 35 million for a year to go for it. For 1 year the money is there with the payroll they've shed or are about to. stroman will command 80 to 100 million because of the lack of great starters available and his age, 29 i believe. Kopech Cease and Crotchet may not be ready. 

Crotchet needs to be stretched out, Kopech, is he mentally ready?? Cease needs innings in minors and maybe brought up in May or June. Duning and Lopez, Big questions marks still. 

Trades are also a possibility, but at what price.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Random article that lists us as one of the top five destinations for Bauer.  Obviously this means nothing, but it’s better than arguing against a delusional Mazara fanboy.

https://www.radio.com/sports/mlb/gallery/trevor-bauers-top-5-potential-landing-spots-in-free-agency#chicago-white-sox-ckgmga8570061u4pc0d1ngpfm

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright I feel like I’m having a little bit of Machado deja vu here, but who are the serious contenders for Bauer?

  • AL Central:  Outside of us, none of the other teams can probably afford him or would even want to sign him right now.  The Twins would theoretically make some sense, but it sounds like their payroll is starting to balloon as is.  Doubt they can fit a $35M salary into their budget for 2021.
  • AL East:  Maybe the Red Sox?  They reset their luxury tax and will need to spend if they want to be competitive anytime soon.  I really don’t see the Yankees adding another $200M+ pitching contract, especially for a guy that Cole doesn’t like.  And while I expect the Blue Jays to add more pitching, they’re probably looking at a  tier below Bauer.
  • AL West:  The Angels could be a threat for obvious reasons.  None of the other teams seem like real options.
  • NL Central:  The Reds can’t afford him and none of the other teams make sense based on needs or financial resources available.
  • NL East:  The Mets may have the financial means to add Bauer now that they’re owned by Cohen, which makes them a legit threat.  Not sure about the Braves, but he’d make a ton of sense there.  From what I can tell, the Phillies won’t be adding a $35M contract this offseason.  Not worried about the Nationals or Marlins.
  • NL West:  The Dodgers can theoretically afford anyone, but signing Bauer to a massive long-term deal sort of goes against Friedman’s management style.  I doubt any of the other teams would be interested in him right now or could afford him.

So basically there are four or five teams that seem like they could be serious contenders for Bauer in Boston, Anaheim, the Mets, Atlanta, and possibly the Dodgers.  I will never get my hopes up on the Sox signing a starting pitcher to a 6+ year deal, but I am starting to think the market won’t be as robust for Bauer’s services as it normally would be for the top starter on the market.  COVID-19 is the ultimate wild card and the Sox really should take advantage of this unique situation if Bauer’s price gets pushed down closer to $200M than the $245M Strasberg got last offseason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Hey, live in the real world, or delude yourself. Its entirely up to you.

Has this org ever signed anyone to a $150MM+ contract? Does this org like long term contracts for pitchers?

 

Just asking.

How much did they offer Wheeler last year when he took less money to play somewhere else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Random article that lists us as one of the top five destinations for Bauer.  Obviously this means nothing, but it’s better than arguing against a delusional Mazara fanboy.

https://www.radio.com/sports/mlb/gallery/trevor-bauers-top-5-potential-landing-spots-in-free-agency#chicago-white-sox-ckgmga8570061u4pc0d1ngpfm

Can’t stress enough how much I appreciate knowing Bauer is motivated by just getting the top deal. I’m delaying focus on him until we hear sox side believes it can meet that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Leonard Zelig said:

How much did they offer Wheeler last year when he took less money to play somewhere else?

This is another reason Hahn not signing him is a failure. Our rep is likely not stellar for numerous obvious reasons, to the point where the "FA's always sign with whoever offers the most money" became an exception seemingly only for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Leonard Zelig said:

How much did they offer Wheeler last year when he took less money to play somewhere else?

I’m not sure we got an exact amount but I assume it hit $120 at least

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Bauer should be our #1 focus. While JR may not sign SP to long term contracts Bauer does not necessarily want one. We let RR and Coop go which was against what the org would have done in the past. If Bauer is down for a 2-3 yr deal I think this may be the year where JR does not mind spending a ton for 2-3 yrs vs having to try and sign a SP to a long term contract. 

I am OK with Heuer closing. Not sure what Colome will get in the market but I think we need to focus that $ on a SP and a RF. If Heuer does not cut it we other options and/or we could trade.

My hopes is that the SP will be as follows:

Gio

Bauer

DK

Cease (he was bad this yr but he is still very young, has the tools, and we will have a new pitching coach. I highly doubt that Cease starts the season in the minors unless he is horrid in ST)

Dunning

 

Eventually, if Kopech is ready, he will replace one of Cease/Dunning. Crotchet will remain a reliever and be stretched out. He will eventually replace one of the bottom 2 but probably not until 2022. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Leonard Zelig said:

How much did they offer Wheeler last year when he took less money to play somewhere else?

(Checks roster) Did he actually sign here, but change his name to Gio Gonzalez?

 

Yeah, Bauer ain't signing here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

glad I can read a focused Bauer Blog now.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

(Checks roster) Did he actually sign here, but change his name to Gio Gonzalez?

 

Yeah, Bauer ain't signing here.

I will never understand the widespread habit of shortening Giolito to "Gio" when we *literally have/had another starting pitcher on our team whose first name is Gio.*  I think I'll start referring to Luis Robert as "TA" (you know, for "totally awesome").

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I will never understand the widespread habit of shortening Giolito to "Gio" when we *literally have/had another starting pitcher on our team whose first name is Gio.*  I think I'll start referring to Luis Robert as "TA" (you know, for "totally awesome").

Maybe because Giolio was already referred to as Gio on Soxtalk long before the Sox signed Gio Gonzalez?  Gio Gonzalez had never pitched for the White Sox before 2020, why would we reserve a nickname for a player that had not been in the org for ages?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I will never understand the widespread habit of shortening Giolito to "Gio" when we *literally have/had another starting pitcher on our team whose first name is Gio.*  I think I'll start referring to Luis Robert as "TA" (you know, for "totally awesome").

Because no one cared about Gio Gonzalez.  He signed here, and barely appeared  so there was no real confusion, because essentially when it came to Gonzalez, there was nothign to talk about.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Because no one cared about Gio Gonzalez.  He signed here, and barely appeared  so there was no real confusion, because essentially when it came to Gonzalez, there was nothign to talk about.

If nobody ever mentioned Gio Gonzalez on this board for the past full season he's been a White Sox, the period prior to that when he was pitching in the playoffs and a free agent target, and the many times he's been mentioned because of his history with the Sox, then that would make sense.  But Gio Gonzalez has been mentioned hundreds of times and I've done plenty of double-takes.  Whatever, it doesn't really matter.  Gio will soon be gone and we can go back to calling Gio Gio instead of Gio (except if we're talking about Gio's time with the Sox) and all will be well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

If nobody ever mentioned Gio Gonzalez on this board for the past full season he's been a White Sox, the period prior to that when he was pitching in the playoffs and a free agent target, and the many times he's been mentioned because of his history with the Sox, then that would make sense.  But Gio Gonzalez has been mentioned hundreds of times and I've done plenty of double-takes.  Whatever, it doesn't really matter.  Gio will soon be gone and we can go back to calling Gio Gio instead of Gio (except if we're talking about Gio's time with the Sox) and all will be well.  

You are quite literally the first person who has publicly said they can't tell Gio Gonzalez from Lucas Giolito from the context of the discussions happening here.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

You are quite literally the first person who has publicly said they can't tell Gio Gonzalez from Lucas Giolito from the context of the discussions happening here.

👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Creative offer to Bauer:

Let him do a drone race around the park in between an inning. Keep it away from the jumbotron.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Quin said:

Creative offer to Bauer:

Let him do a drone race around the park in between an inning. Keep it away from the jumbotron.

More creative: do it as part of a fireworks display. The scoreboard goes off when the fireworks hit one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

(Checks roster) Did he actually sign here, but change his name to Gio Gonzalez?

 

Yeah, Bauer ain't signing here.

LOL, defensive much?  I simply asked what they offered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SouthWallace said:

Maybe because Giolio was already referred to as Gio on Soxtalk long before the Sox signed Gio Gonzalez?  Gio Gonzalez had never pitched for the White Sox before 2020, why would we reserve a nickname for a player that had not been in the org for ages?

Speak for yourself. Gio will always be original/#1 to me. Watched that guy as a prospect when he was in Birmingham back in the day. Still my favorite pitching prospect ever. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×