Nontender deadline almost here

southsider2k5

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think Bruce is right...Rodon & Mazara will get non-tendered, all others return.  Lopez is worth tendering a contract at his price as he could be released during spring training for practically nothing.

Lopez has an option remaining too. Doesn't hurt if he's in Charlotte to being the year. Maybe Katz can get him halfway decent.

10 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Lopez has an option remaining too. Doesn't hurt if he's in Charlotte to being the year. Maybe Katz can get him halfway decent.

I have an unrealistic expectation that Katz is going to work miracles with most of our young guns.

17 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I have an unrealistic expectation that Katz is going to work miracles with most of our young guns.

Same lol

TBH If he does not on at least with 1 of our young guys I would be quite disappointed. I would hope he can get improvement from one of Dunning/Cease/Lopez (based on who is on the MLB roster). IMO he will get both Cease and Dunning to improve. Cease the most. 

10 hours ago, poppysox said:

If that's true, then wouldn't we want to bring back Rodon?

I'm still in camp Rodon. Him at $5-6mm or whatever the number is vs. $9mm for Minor, $11mm for Smyly, etc. seems like a decent value. He's an arm for innings during the regular season - to me its worth it, but can understand how others disagree with some of these young guys next in line. 

If we're not signing Rodon, then does it really make sense to go get a pitcher like Quintana, Rich Hill, Paxton, etc. arent they all just varying degrees of concerns? Just thinking out loud. Like whats the difference of Rodon at $6mm or Quintana at say $10mm? Both don't move the needle, just a different body in a Sxo jersey.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I'm still in camp Rodon. Him at $5-6mm or whatever the number is vs. $9mm for Minor, $11mm for Smyly, etc. seems like a decent value. He's an arm for innings during the regular season - to me its worth it, but can understand how others disagree with some of these young guys next in line. 

If we're not signing Rodon, then does it really make sense to go get a pitcher like Quintana, Rich Hill, Paxton, etc. arent they all just varying degrees of concerns? Just thinking out loud. Like whats the difference of Rodon at $6mm or Quintana at say $10mm? Both don't move the needle, just a different body in a Sxo jersey.

This does not compute at all and in no way describes Rodon lol

10 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

This does not compute at all and in no way describes Rodon lol

True, I kind of meant in the sense of innings like a Paxton, Q, Hill etc. They're all similar type guys - I'm being a little tough on Quintana 

Getting 100IP out of Rodon may be what the doctored ordered though - Assuming we're giving Cease a full year to figure this out and then with Keuchel and Giolito .... 

So you have two spots for partial IP limitations of Kopech, Dunning, Crochet (if healthy), etc. If you don't go all-in on a Bauer then a 75-100ip guy is maybe all you need. 

Personally I'd sign Rodon and let him do 2-4ip as an opener and really let loose. Pair him up with Dunning. 

Then on other days I'd go Kopech/Crochet in 3-4IP roles. 

That way you keep innings limited, guys fresh, etc. for playoffs. Then come playoff time run with the hot hand. 

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

Lopez could probably be a good reliever. He's a lot cheaper, and better, than the next Cishek.

Would need to work on getting a bulldog attitude.  Needs to go into attack mode.  One or two innings of being mad at the guys trying to get hits off him.

It's hard to tell what the market is going to be for any player at this point given the losses franchises have taken over the last year. I would be hesitant to let go of Rodon for four million dollars. I still think he can be a competent 5th starter with Kopech in June being ready to roll. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrianAnderson said:

Quintana has made 30 starts 7 of the last 8 years, with last year being the only exception.  To me, that’s a huge difference.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If Rodon had the ability to stay healthy, I might roll dice on him again. If he had any ability to locate his FB, he'd probably be signed for a long time for a lot of money.

Alas, neither health, nor an ability to reduce walks are in evidence with him at this point. I think it would be best for he/his agent and the SOX to go their separate ways. I think Rodon would be best-served to sign a pillow contract with a rebuilding team, so that he can try to rescue his MLB career.

I think the SOX need 2 healthy SPs who can get to 150+ IP, @ a cromulent ~4 to 4.25ish FIP. Then, reassess where their options are, both internally, and via a rental at the TDL.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

14 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

Quintana has made 30 starts 7 of the last 8 years, with last year being the only exception.  To me, that’s a huge difference.  

Hes also provided 3 or more fWAR in 6 of the past 7 years before the COVID-shortened 2020 season. Hes also only had one season with a FIP >4.0. He'll be 32 this year, so he still should perform well enough over the next 2-3 seasons to be a decent part of the rotation.

To me, Q is EXACTLY what this team needs: a reliable SP at a reasonable price that won't preclude other acquisitions. I'd sign him, even before chasing/waiting for Bauer or Springer to make their decisions.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

8 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Hes also provided 3 or more fWAR in 6 of the past 7 years before the COVID-shortened 2020 season. Hes also only had one season with a FIP >4.0. He'll be 32 this year, so he still should perform well enough over the next 2-3 seasons to be a decent part of the rotation.

To me, Q is EXACTLY what this team needs: a reliable SP at a reasonable price that won't preclude other acquisitions. I'd sign him, even before chasing/waiting for Bauer or Springer to make their decisions.

Exactly. Q is the perfect backbone for the #3-4 guy in this rotation.