NFL 2021 offseason thread

1 minute ago, Tony said:

YOU HAVE THAT GUY ON THE ROSTER ALREADY. 

That's what I don't get, if they really thought Dalton was better than Foles then why didn't they just get him last year?  Having Dalton and Foles on the same team is just soooooooooooo stupid.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Isn't this your best case scenario? I don't understand why you aren't celebrating.

No real situation to celebrate for this team at this point.  They're really behind the 8-ball.  Need a complete blow-up.  I was on the fence about 3 firsts for Watson or Wilson, but also knew without a viable QB to add to those picks, it likely wasn't going to happen. 

1 minute ago, SoxFan562004 said:

Bears are in a bad spot to trade for Wilson or Watson.  Limited 1st round picks can be traded (believe it's 3 but someway to make it 4 on draft day) and they have no viable QB to trade back.  Pete Carrol (sp?) is 70, he's not interested I'm sure in a long rebuild.  

No great answers for this team other then to blow it up, wish they started that process this year, but McCaskeys didn't want to pay Nagy and Pace to go away. 

Again.....then blow it up now. The entire point is this move doesn't accomplish anything. 

The Bears are at a fork in the road. One path has them blowing it up, bottoming out, getting bad contracts/money to expire, finding the right QB at the top of the draft. The other fork has them going all in on Wilson/Watson, just getting crazy and trying to patch together a winner with Mack/Hicks/Smith/ARob still in their primes. 

Acquiring Andy Dalton is them standing at the fork, looking at both options and just not moving.  

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Again.....then blow it up now. The entire point is this move doesn't accomplish anything. 

The Bears are at a fork in the road. One path has them blowing it up, bottoming out, getting bad contracts/money to expire, finding the right QB at the top of the draft. The other fork has them going all in on Wilson/Watson, just getting crazy and trying to patch together a winner with Mack/Hicks/Smith/ARob still in their primes. 

Acquiring Andy Dalton is them standing at the fork, looking at both options and just not moving.  

Yep how do they think they have a prayer of competing this coming year?

This new info just backs up my point. Fine...you can't get Russ. Watson is going to cost too much.......Why are you spending money to bring in Andy Dalton? You have Foles on the roster and if you aren't drafting a QB in the early rounds of the draft I don't know what the hell you're doing anyway......what's the point? 

• Fire 1

Just now, fathom said:

Yep how do they think they have a prayer of competing this coming year?

But let's say they do think that. Let's say they are fucking crazy and think this is a roster that can compete. Is Andy Dalton the guy that makes them that much better? How much better is he then Foles? Because I'll be SHOCKED if they come out and say "Andy is our starter from Day 1." You know there is going to be a competition. And if that's the case, that tells me they don't think Dalton is that much better than Foles. 

WHAT ARE WE DOING GUYS?

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

Fine....then give Seattle 7 first round picks and go get Russ. If you need to win now, I can buy that. 

Andy Dalton is Nick Foles with red hair. You spent draft capital and a bunch of money to sign Foles last year....when Dalton was available. So he wasn't right then, bur this year he's the right fit to go along with Nick Foles? I just don't understand where they think they are going with this move. Where does it take them? 

Yeah that's what I don't really get about some of the reaction. For those who wanted Pace out, didn't want them making decisions, this is perfect. No way andy dalton saves their jobs.

But if you wanted more (like me) -

this makes no sense for a couple reasons, maily to do with money.

- Foles contract does not appear to be one where you can save money on a trade due to his signing bonus. But best case scenario here - the bears had good trade interest for Foles as backup. If you think you can get draft capital back for foles, and can't guarantee seattle trades russ, and may need to get a rookie QB, dalton may fit. But it's a weird swap. Foles really was fine to me if they struck out going big - he would be terrible if it's because he beat out Andy fucking dalton.

Pace screws himself because he both wants to swing for fences but also panics the fuck out  that he'll end up without a spot in musical chairs. And then what? You have to trade for a backup QB as your starter instead of signing a backup QB as a starter?

There is no way anybody could justify to themselves that the bears are better with Dalton than Trubisky after watching this. And if you are still going after wilson, great, but you just wasted money for no reason. 

Sigh. I'm Mr. Brightside and even I've got no words. If Seattle ends up trading Rus I'm gonna be really upset. They had to of been straight up told its not gonna happen.....Still though they already have a bridge with Foles if they wanna draft a guy.

12 minutes ago, bigruss said:

That's what I don't get, if they really thought Dalton was better than Foles then why didn't they just get him last year?  Having Dalton and Foles on the same team is just soooooooooooo stupid.

LOL yes this, they sent out a 4th for Foles instead of signing Dalton last year, and what did they learn? That neither foles nor Dalton are starting NFL QBs but ... I don't know how to finish that sentence.

5 minutes ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

Hell yeah I dont have to watch the Bears this fall

I honestly feel bad for the hosts in this town that will have to take calls on Dalton vs. Foles and who should start Week 6....barf

38 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I won't jump to conclusion(s) - yet.  I don't think this stops them from grabbing another guy and not sure how this deal is structured. It just might mean if they get a wilson or someone else that they will need to move Nick Foles as part of that deal and quite frankly - that shouldn't be an issue. It seems like if anything - they wanted to hedge their bets - because - I get it - you can't just assume you'll get Wilson and/or have access to a top flight 1st round pick.

Plus - for all of you who rip on Pace - isn't this what a new GM would have probably done anyway - bring in a bridge QB and start to churn the roster and/or make other decisions - so worse case - Pace doesn't make a big swing at a young QB and or one of the all pro's available - and it is kind of one of those - depending on health/defense/schedule this team will win anywhere from 6 to 10 games.  

The Bears are 100% drafting a QB in the draft, so for now this remains a TBD from my perspective. Don’t get me wrong, at face value this move is completely underwhelming, but if we end up with Jones or Lance then Dalton is a perfectly fine bridge guy IMO.  Also, we need to see what ends up happening with Williams as his addition plus one of those QB prospects would be a passable alternative to trading a ton of assets for Wilson.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Bears are 100% drafting a QB in the draft, so for now this remains a TBD from my perspective. Don’t get me wrong, at face value this move is completely underwhelming, but if we end up with Jones or Lance then Dalton is a perfectly fine bridge guy IMO.  Also, we need to see what ends up happening with Williams as his addition plus one of those QB prospects would be a passable alternative to trading a ton of assets for Wilson.

But why is Dalton and $10M more in salary to go 8-8 better than Foles and no more salary to go 6-10?

Lets be realistic, all the Bears needed to do was invest more in their offensive line but they didn’t do that and now look where they are at. They are so far behind that they now have to possibly draft a QB and offensive lineman. Trubisky might have had a better chance if he had a better line to work with. Watch, now he is going to go to a different team with a better offensive line and is going to light it up.

Edited by maloney.adam

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How is Foles not mentioned in this post?

3 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Lets be realistic all the Bears needed to do was invest more in their offensive line but they didn’t do that and now look where they are at. Trubisky might have had a better chance if he had a better line to work with. Watch, now he is going to go to a different team with a better offensive line and is going to light it up. 

This is not realistic it’s a fairytale.

Wait, I was led to believe that Watson or Wilson were "all but certain," right?

And wasn't it "moralistic" to assume that the Bears would fail to land a top 5 QB as well?

I mean, I'm shocked, SHOCKED that all the media bullshit that was ginned up to lead the gullible around by their balls didn't come to fruition. Totally surprised, I tell ya.

I do stand with chisoxfn on the point that if you were a bears fatalist this is a great day for you. You already wanted bears to fire sale, this will get a high draft pick next year, you didn’t “sell the future” and it guarantees Pace/Nagy are fired.

Worst case scenario was probably like trading for Stafford. A nearly great QB that would have cost a ton in all respects and probably saved their jobs.

4 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Wait, I was led to believe that Watson or Wilson were "all but certain," right?

And wasn't it "moralistic" to assume that the Bears would fail to land a top 5 QB as well?

I mean, I'm shocked, SHOCKED that all the media bullshit that was ginned up to lead the gullible around by their balls didn't come to fruition. Totally surprised, I tell ya.

Show me one place that said “all but certain” 

This is equivalent to saying “The left cancelled Dr. Seuss! Classic cancel culture!” When in fact that’s not even remotely close to what happened. 

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I do stand with chisoxfn on the point that if you were a bears fatalist this is a great day for you. You already wanted bears to fire sale, this will get a high draft pick next year, you didn’t “sell the future” and it guarantees Pace/Nagy are fired.

Worst case scenario was probably like trading for Stafford. A nearly great QB that would have cost a ton in all respects and probably saved their jobs.

Plenty of time for Pace to throw away more future resources still, let's not call this a win for any group quite yet.

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

This is not realistic it’s a fairytale.

Well anyways, the team will probably be blown up next year or the year after that. They are now going to waste all the prime years of their defense because they couldn’t correct the holes on offense. What a waste of time. Ridiculous!

Edited by maloney.adam

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don’t think it means that at all. 

Pace and Nagy suck but they aren’t stupid. If they thought their jobs 100% depended on this upcoming season and winning results...I can’t imagine they make this move. I think they have more security than we think. 

On 3/15/2021 at 10:06 AM, bmags said:

I feel like there's a weird, moralistic tone when it comes to team building in the NFL that I don't see in Baseball. Or maybe it's just the QB position has done this.

Like, getting a top 5 QB is so lucky, is such an advantage, that you should feel like bad if you pay to get one when you may not be "ready". The only right way to get one is by building the perfect team that may not even need one, then, only then, are you okay to have one.

Show me where I said it was about THE LIKELIHOOD. The whole reason I stopped talking to you about it is because:

1. You took it as a subtweet on your old man “blah the media blah”

2. You cannot read

40 minutes ago, Tony said:

YOU HAVE THAT GUY ON THE ROSTER ALREADY. 

Did Foles look the part last year though?  I get he was intended to be that guy, but in all honesty he failed last year and allowed Mitch Trubisky to regain his job.  Whether you like Dalton or not as a cheap placeholder, Foles most certainly wasn’t the answer.