Players You Hope the Sox Try To Acquire (At Least Somewhat Realistic)

YourWhatHurts

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Have we talked to them about Conforto before?  Any idea on a return?  I imagine a half year for him would still reqquire one of our top HS SP.

Mets aren't going to be trying to trade him because they're competing. Sox would have to get him in free agency. Which would probably take a 9 digit deal if he performs this year as he did last year. So it's unlikely, but there may not be a player that fits our team better.

56 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

So, thats not "sitting out 2019." Saying a guy "sat out 2019" implies he never threw a pitch.

Wow that is aggressive correcting of a statement I didn't make.   The way the whole quotation mark thing works is you're exactly quoting what someone says.  Here's what I said "If after two years of sitting out he can come back for a late career surge..."  I also said his arm fell off in 2019 which it did...they shut him down in August 2019 and he's coming back in July of this year.  If you want to say "Dude they only shut him down for 23 months" fine.  I'm just not sure what your point is.  

9 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Wow that is aggressive correcting of a statement I didn't make.   The way the whole quotation mark thing works is you're exactly quoting what someone says.  Here's what I said "If after two years of sitting out he can come back for a late career surge..."  I also said his arm fell off in 2019 which it did...they shut him down in August 2019 and he's coming back in July of this year.  If you want to say "Dude they only shut him down for 23 months" fine.  I'm just not sure what your point is.  

Back to original point: Chris Sale...probably not a good fit. Might feel differently if upper management was different from last time he had issues with them.

Edited by manbearpuig

Gausman.

Seems like he will be traded if he doesn't sign an extension very soon.

His asking price shouldn't be much higher than the remaining money on his contract, especially if he begins the season with anything less than his best for whatever reason.  

8 hours ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

The risk is he's just a shell of the guy he used to be.  Adam Wainwright was TOR type pitcher, went out in his late twenties and then returned for a couple more elite seasons.   Trade deadline is July 31st and CS is due back early July.  If he throws four starts and looks really good...you can make the money work.  Boston has lots of bad contracts and saving half of Sale's deal in a period when they are non-contenders should be interesting to them.  

Our biggest departure is on the "budget".  Sox were top 5 payrolls in the 00's, 90's and 80's when the team was really good.   Top five payroll now is $170 million and I'm not sure what you see that makes you think they won't follow the same pattern...cheap ass when we are bad but paying up when we are good...JR is a businessman and that all makes sense.

Latest projection( last week) seems to be early August. He has yet to pitch off a mound which was originally set for January due to neck stiffness and a bout of Covid. 

Edited by SCCWS

I'll be the first to say it: 2021 should be a referendum on Madrigal.  Look at all of the talent hitting the FA market going into the 2022 season, and tons of those guys can play 2B.  Plus there are teams like the Rays for instance that have pieces to trade, and for them specifically, Franco will push at least 1 guy out.  

To that end, if it's August and Madrigal is playing an underwhelming 2B and still looking like a much-less-than-advertised baserunner and speed threat, I wouldn't mind calling the vote early and looking to trade for a 2B, even an impending FA with an eye toward extending him over the offseason.

If the Jays fall out of it, I think Semien is an easy target.  Unfortunately the Rays, having depleted their team, probably stay close to TOR in the standings, with both teams well behind the Yankees.  The normal wildcard will probably be within their reach.

Long shot, but, Trevor Story should not cost anything close to Andrew/Nick/Micheal. Mid level pitching should get it done. Timmy or Story have the ability to play right or let Moncada give it a shot. Story can play 3rd & move Yoan to second which would mean Nick was involved in the trade. Sox would have to sign Story to a HUGE contract that would solidify the future. 

Cue Gary Wright singing Dream Weaver

14 minutes ago, Lonchair said:

Long shot, but, Trevor Story should not cost anything close to Andrew/Nick/Micheal. Mid level pitching should get it done. Timmy or Story have the ability to play right or let Moncada give it a shot. Story can play 3rd & move Yoan to second which would mean Nick was involved in the trade. Sox would have to sign Story to a HUGE contract that would solidify the future. 

Cue Gary Wright singing Dream Weaver

I know this is a "dream" trade that probably (definitely) will never happen, but even with that caveat it seems like a Nintendo trade.

That's a whole lot of shakeup moving the entire infield around, plus moving one of the faces of the franchise to a position he's never played, just to get another SS. Teams don't reshuffle 3+ player's defensive alignments to sign a redundant position piece. Doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

On 3/18/2021 at 7:59 AM, Jnooch said:

How about Charlie Blackmon at the deadline. Colorodo on the hook for 23 mil per 2021 & 2022 plus 10 mil buyout in 2023. Sox send Eaton , Rodon or Lopez and we receive 7 mil per year from Colorado...thoughts? LH hitter, big upgrade from Eaton. More power better defender. 

Definitely keep Blackman in mirror in case situation warrants.  If Vaughn & OF doing ok then no.  Co is gonna want to move him, imo.  Ditto on some creative finances ala Shields trade else no.  Also, John Gray ($6m full season) would be a cheap rental if he's having a decent year (2022 FA).  Can't have too many starters in 2nd half this year.

On 3/22/2021 at 12:51 PM, MiddleCoastBias said:

I know this is a "dream" trade that probably (definitely) will never happen, but even with that caveat it seems like a Nintendo trade.

That's a whole lot of shakeup moving the entire infield around, plus moving one of the faces of the franchise to a position he's never played, just to get another SS. Teams don't reshuffle 3+ player's defensive alignments to sign a redundant position piece. Doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

I agree with your assessment, hence the Dream Weaver song reference. But do you think, & I’m honestly asking, that the White Sox should not be involved in the biggest talent SS free agency next off season?  I know we already have one of the best, Timmy is my favorite player, full disclosure. The thought of Seager or any of the rest on our team is captivating beyond the talent/player. It might mean the Sox are in the “big boy league “. Like it felt for a week going after Mochado/Harper(please)/Wheeler. 
I still think Chris Bryant in right field makes sense. Next off season, & this is not about money, the Sox need to make a big, sensible move for an All Star talent to not only push them over the hump, but to also establish them as a player with the other big market teams. 

19 minutes ago, Lonchair said:

I agree with your assessment, hence the Dream Weaver song reference. But do you think, & I’m honestly asking, that the White Sox should not be involved in the biggest talent SS free agency next off season?  I know we already have one of the best, Timmy is my favorite player, full disclosure. The thought of Seager or any of the rest on our team is captivating beyond the talent/player. It might mean the Sox are in the “big boy league “. Like it felt for a week going after Mochado/Harper(please)/Wheeler. 
I still think Chris Bryant in right field makes sense. Next off season, & this is not about money, the Sox need to make a big, sensible move for an All Star talent to not only push them over the hump, but to also establish them as a player with the other big market teams. 

You acknowledge that we already have one of the best at SS in Tim Anderson, so it doesn't make sense to use assets (money or trade) to replace "one of the best" with ... another of the best. Use those assets elsewhere if you want to be a splash and play in the "big boy league". Let someone else blow their load on the shortstop battle while we look to upgrade areas that actually need upgrading. Just seems too lateral of a move to me.