Dane Dunning Thread

ron883

21 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

So, why exactly do people do this to themselves? You don't need to closely track every player that's been traded away, you seemingly gain nothing from it but misery, seems really dumb.

I did it for Caulfield. He needs an ex Sox player to follow with Tatis Jr. out for an extended period. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, ron883 said:

I did it for Caulfield. He needs an ex Sox player to follow with Tatis Jr. out for an extended period. 

Now what, you want an upvote for that, lol?

Dunning is a pedestrian pitcher over the long term, like a Chris Bassitt, and Balta will make this point about Lynn/Dunning more often than I need to.

That said, having Bassitt, Montas and Semien never prevented the A's from making the post-season.

And Tatis, as it turns out, isn't going to be out for very long...unless he re-injures it again, in which case he will miss the remainder of the season with surgery.

• Thanks 2

Fine, since you asked...

https://www.mlb.com/news/dane-dunning-jonah-heim-stand-out-for-rangers

Also, interesting they notice how hard he gets the 2nd/3rd time through and were planning to tandem start him...can’t remember the last time a Sox rookie pitcher threw 51 strikes in 70 pitches...Buehrle?

“The right-hander looked like he might be in for a tough night when Bo Bichette clubbed a solo home run off him in the first inning, but that was the only run Dunning allowed in the contest. The 26-year-old was expected to tandem start with Wes Benjamin on Tuesday, but Dunning was efficient enough with his pitch count -- he tossed 70 pitches in total (51 for strikes) -- that he remained in the game long enough to pick up the win. After a solid rookie campaign with the White Sox last season, Dunning is off to a strong start with his new team following an offseason trade. He's next expected to start Monday at Tampa Bay.”

cbssports.com

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

1. Dunning is a pedestrian pitcher over the long term, like a Chris Bassitt, and Balta will make this point about Lynn/Dunning more often than I need to.

2. That said, having Bassitt, Montas and Semien never prevented the A's from making the post-season.

1. If you can already tell that Dunning is a pedestrian pitcher this early into his career, I congratulate you for your all-seeing ability. That aside, he's still somehow been able to produce more fWAR than the awesome walk machine Dylan Cease over the course of their careers.

2. Holy shit, Chris Bassitt, he of the 1.5 fWAR before TJS, and 4.0 fWAR SINCE TJS [at the league minimum salary] could have PREVENTED the As from making the post-season? Marcus Semien, and his 17.9 fWAR he produced while in Oakland [prior to FA] would have PREVENTED the As from making the post-season?!? Exactly how?

Say BTW, what Golden God did those geniuses in the SOX FO get in exchange for giving up ~20 or so fWAR between Bassitt/Semien/Phegley? Did the SOX make the post-season, or did the As make the post-season after that genius move? Did the As end up "mired in mediocrity," or did they laugh their ASSES OFF at the SOX FO? After all, Bassitt [at the league minimum], Semien [at pre-FA prices], and Phegley really fucked the As over, amirite?

...just askin'

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

10 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

1. If you can already tell that Dunning is a pedestrian pitcher this early into his career, I congratulate you for your all-seeing ability. That aside, he's still somehow been able to produce more fWAR than the awesome walk machine Dylan Cease over the course of their careers.

2. Holy shit, Chris Bassitt, he of the 1.5 fWAR before TJS, and 4.0 fWAR SINCE TJS [at the league minimum salary] could have PREVENTED the As from making the post-season? Marcus Semien, and his 17.9 fWAR he produced while in Oakland [prior to FA] would have PREVENTED the As from making the post-season?!? Exactly how?

Say BTW, what Golden God did those geniuses in the SOX FO get in exchange for giving up ~20 or so fWAR between Bassitt/Semien/Phegley? Did the SOX make the post-season, or did the As make the post-season after that genius move? Did the As end up "mired in mediocrity," or did they laugh their ASSES OFF at the SOX FO? After all, Bassitt [at the league minimum], Semien [at pre-FA prices], and Phegley really fucked the As over, amirite?

...just askin'

Sarcasm.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, WilliamTell said:

So is this thread more of a "Hopefully he sucks because I want the Sox to win this trade" or is it a "Good luck to him when he's not pitching for the Sox"? Personally I hope he succeeds, just not against us.

Not really any "winning" unless we 1) sign Lynn to a 2-3 year extension, or 2) don't sign him, extend Gio and/or get enough production from Kopech/AAA-AA to capably replace him in the rotation.

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Not really any "winning" unless we 1) sign Lynn to a 2-3 year extension, or 2) don't sign him, extend Gio and/or get enough production from Kopech/AAA-AA to capably replace him in the rotation.

3) Lynn is a major part of getting the Sox to the playoffs, and ideally to at least the ALCS.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

OK. I was wrong. Lynn fucking owns and has made me a fan.

That said, an extension is what makes it a clear win...since it makes this a must-win season with Rodon and Lynn likely on the way out, with only one obvious replacement in Kopech.

That said, look at the bargains around baseball.  Rodon. T.Walker (signed a two year deal).  Desclafini.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/11/mlb-free-agent-predictions-2021.html

Amazing how many bad deals for pitching went down, and how the choices of Lynn and Rodon were almost perfect.  Imo, the Giants and White Sox really excelled there in terms of best evaluations and/or a bit of luck or good fortune.

These predictions (see above) had Springer and James Paxton going to the Sox, btw.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He's having a nice season and it sucks to give up what looks like a potential very good 3rd starter or worst case solid 4th but Lynn is a legit TOR guy right now.  I'm still 50/50 on the trade long term it all depends on if the Sox can get an extension done with Lance.

After Dunnings first few starts i was pretty pissed we traded him, and that was when Lynn also went to the IL. Now that I have seen Lynn pitch more I absolutely love his game and hes the exact pitcher we need right now. If we extend him im 100% over Dunning.