Who will be the RFer by the end of the season?

ron883

Who will be the RFer by the end of the season?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the RFer by the end of the season?

• Eaton
    • Eloy
    • Vaughn
    • Engel
    • Rutherford
    • Sheets
    • Engel/Eaton Platoon
    • Other

6 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

So Vaugh has been quite a bit better, although Garcia has been playing CF a lot which is the more difficult position. Just based on eye test, I feel a bit better watching Vaughn play the OF than Leury.

If we get back to full strength this season, I can see us rolling with a lineup of:

Anderson SS

Robert  CF

Moncada 3B

Abreu 1B

Jimenez LF

Mercedes DH

Grandal C

Vaughn RF

Madrigal 2B

That's a murder's row. Late innings can put Engel in RF and move Vaughn over to LF (or Leury).

I think they’re going to try to keep Hamilton as last man on the roster.

Unfortunately, that leaves Mendick as the odd man out, depending on Eaton’s health status.   Or Lamb.

Don’t assume it’s 100% automatic Engel will supplant Leury in LaRussa’s estimation when/if he does return at 100%.  

Once the lineup is back to full strength, you have:

OF: Eloy, Robert, Eaton, Engel, Vaughn

IF: Moncada, TA, Madrigal, Abreu

DH/C: Grandal, Collins, Yermin

That leaves one spot left. It has to go to someone who can play 2B, SS and 3B as there are no backups for those positions. Has to go to Leury or Mendick, and I don't think they'll be willing to DFA Leury.

Lamb should be the one gone when Engel is back but I have a feeling it will be Mendick. Then the other of those two is gone when Eloy is back, and Hamilton is gone when Robert is back.

I also don't like both Eloy and Vaughn in the OF together. Forces Robert to cover too much ground. Plus, there is plenty of firepower without needing all the best bats in the lineup together.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Id strongly consider cutting Eaton for Hamilton. I know that will never happen. 26th man/6th outfielders shouldn't ever be playing anyways so Hamilton can slide in pretty well there. Hamilton/Robert/Engel late inning defense would be fun to watch anyways.

I am fine with a guy like Hamilton on the roster as a PR and a late inning D guy, though when you get Engel back, you kind of already have that.  It's shame Mendick will probably go, but I would love to keep him, Leury, and Engel as the bench pieces.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am fine with a guy like Hamilton on the roster as a PR and a late inning D guy, though when you get Engel back, you kind of already have that.  It's shame Mendick will probably go, but I would love to keep him, Leury, and Engel as the bench pieces.

I still think it will be Lamb. You will have Garcia and Hamilton that both hit from the left-side and Leury and Mendick both play the positions he can, plus a couple more. There isn't a lot of room for him to get at bats anywhere besides center (with Abreu at 1st, Vaughn in LF, and the Adam platoon in in RF).

3 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

I still think it will be Lamb. You will have Garcia and Hamilton that both hit from the left-side and Leury and Mendick both play the positions he can, plus a couple more. There isn't a lot of room for him to get at bats anywhere besides center (with Abreu at 1st, Vaughn in LF, and the Adam platoon in in RF).

Lamb is honestly the first one I want to see go.

On 5/21/2021 at 12:49 PM, KrankinSox said:

So Vaugh has been quite a bit better, although Garcia has been playing CF a lot which is the more difficult position. Just based on eye test, I feel a bit better watching Vaughn play the OF than Leury.

If we get back to full strength this season, I can see us rolling with a lineup of:

Anderson SS

Robert  CF

Moncada 3B

Abreu 1B

Jimenez LF

Mercedes DH

Grandal C

Vaughn RF

Madrigal 2B

That's a murder's row. Late innings can put Engel in RF and move Vaughn over to LF (or Leury).

Don't think many left-handers want to face this lineup.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, poppysox said:

Don't think many left-handers want to face this lineup.

You're absolutely correct about that. Unfortunately, there are many more right-handed pitchers. I think this team has proven that they can dominate LH pitching. They still really need to attain a better balance. That RF spot seems to be about the only place to remedy this short coming. Maybe Sheets can sustain his early success and provide some help.

Edited by Lillian

White Sox splits by player / position.  The left side is wRC+ against RHP and the right side is against LHP.  Asterisks indicate 2020 values.

• 1B: Abreu = 124 | 162
  • 2B: Madrigal = 92 | 179
  • SS: Anderson = 122 | 58
  • 3B: Moncada = 140 | 125
  • LF: Jimenez = 142* | 131*
  • CF: Robert = 119 | 182
  • RF: Eaton = 111 | Engel = 113*
  • DH: Mercedes = 129 | 234
  • CA: Grandal = 106 | 189
  • BN: Vaughn = 62 | 214

Overall those numbers aren’t bad against RHP, especially once Eloy comes back and if Robert can maintain the improvements he showed this year.  That being said, we are noticeably weaker against righties and if we want to improve I only see two options.  

The first and most obvious way is upgrading over Adam Eaton in RF.  While his full season wRC+ against RHP looks solid, he’s definitely trending in the wrong direction as he’s dropped from 134 in Mar/Apr to 76 in May.  Obviously we can all see he’s banged up and that it’s hurting him at the plate, but is there reason to believe he’s going to suddenly get healthy?  Given that we can exit our relationship with him after the season, I’d say a RF upgrade is a no-brainer unless we’re willing to give Gavin Sheets a legit shot between now and the trade deadline.  The good news is that Engel is very valuable against LHP, so a platoon player is technically an option.  That being said, I’d still rather target a full-time RF if at all possible.  I’ve mentioned here before that Starling Marte is a personal favorite of mine given that he provides insurance in CF, but if the Marlins don’t want to move him I’d then pivot to Haniger over Gallo.  Despite being a RH hitter, Mitch has a history of hitting RHP very well and would add some much needed power to the lineup.  My only concern is is the price and I’m not sure I want to burn a chip like Jared Kelley while his value is likely at a low point, but given Haniger would solve RF for 2022 as well I’d probably have to think about it.

The other, more bold option is something that will either be loved or hated by most people here, but it would be upgrading at 2B.  I’m a big Nick Madrigal fan, but there is a highly versatile player that could be available and would greatly improve our lineup against RHP.  The D-Backs currently sport the second worst record in baseball and won’t be competing in the NL West anytime soon.  They need to shake things up and fast.  As such, I think Hahn should take a real look at Ketel Marte.  The kid is only 27 years old, has three years of control left at $10M per, and can play both the outfield and middle infield.  I 100% think they’ll be willing to move him this year, but the question is can we match up?  Obviously the longest of long-shots, but I’d offer them Madrigal plus other things and see if they’d bite.  If clubs buy Madrigal as a 3+ win 2B (as he’s currently on pace to be), then he should have some actual value given his five years of cheap control.  Now, I don’t think the D-Backs would seek a player like Nicky as a centerpiece in a Marte trade, but it’s worth exploring.  I’d have zero problem adding Stiever plus one of the Charlotte bats or one of the more interesting Kanny bats as well.  Again, it’s unlikely and RF should be much easier to address, but I love Ketel and it’s worth a dart throw.  I would never have imagined the Brewers would have considered Nicky as a primary piece in a Burnes trade, but at the very least it appears they were thinking about it.

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

You're absolutely correct about that. Unfortunately, there are many more right-handed pitchers. I think this team has proven that they can dominate LH pitching. They still really need to attain a better balance. That RF spot seems to be about the only place to remedy this short coming. Maybe Sheets can sustain his early success and provide some help.

Yep...with our current situation, I would think Sheets would get a chance NOW.

Vaughn might end up being the Leury of the end-of-year lineups.  With the struggle to keep Robert, Eloy, Mercedes, and Abreu in the everyday lineup and Vaughn being the only guy with some versatility.  Vaughn will end up playing almost every day without a position to call his own.