GT 7/6: SOX @ MIN, 7:10

8 minutes ago, Vulture said:

Nah that was out of the zone. The box on tv is well below Sano’s knee

Statcast had it as a strike. It wasn't too far from the first pitch to Sano that was called a strike. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The imaginary TV strike zone is infallible.  

I’m starting to wonder if it is adjusted to the batter at all. Seemed to line up against Zack Collins the same for both Sano and Celestine even though Sano is taller with an upright stance while Celestino is crouched. Some guys belt is top of zone, other guys close to the letters

Just now, Vulture said:

I’m starting to wonder if it is adjusted to the batter at all. Seemed to line up against Zack Collins the same for both Sano and Celestine even though Sano is taller with an upright stance while Celestino is crouched. Some guys belt is top of zone, other guys close to the letters

It's the average of the last 50 PAs for the batter. 

1 minute ago, Vulture said:

Crouching isn't supposed to change your strike zone.

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

It's the average of the last 50 PAs for the batter. 

Well that could be problematic as the ump is supposed to make call based on batters position for each particular pitch not an average from previous games

1 minute ago, Vulture said:

I saw a poll on twitter the other day asking if you think the TV strike zone is accurate.  I was going to post it but figured with the way people around here lose their fucking minds about the strike zone it would be 100% yes.  

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I saw a poll on twitter the other day asking if you think the TV strike zone is accurate.  I was going to post it but figured with the way people around here lose their fucking minds about the strike zone it would be 100% yes.  

You're just so smart Harold. It must be very difficult to watch baseball with so many plebs.

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1

20 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Crouching isn't supposed to change your strike 

19 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No  he's not. A crouch should have zero impact on a strike zone.

A crouch prior to the pitch that doesn’t reflect the batters actual batting position shouldn’t have any effect, but Celestino clearly assumes a lower actual batting position while Sano a higher one. It is feasible a batter changes his actual batting position, so basing a strike zone on his position from another at bat is faulty. Lengthening the stride for example would lower the batters actual batting position. Hitting with minimal bending of the leg and short stride a higher one

Edited by Vulture