Is it time to give TLR his due? And maybe some apologies?

ron883

38 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

As someone who lost a close friend to being hit by a drunk driver, no number of championships is going to make me feel good about TLR as manager. Sticking strictly to performance, he's finally managing like someone with experience after a few months of managing like someone the game has passed by. Fortunately he inherited a team that's vastly superior to the rest of the division to allow him time to get acclimated without ruining the team's chances.

Not to mention one of his pitchers drove drunk under his watch (Josh Hancock in 2007) and died…as well as the steroids culture prevalent in Oakland and the rumors that circled around McGwire and Pujols in StL. 

The animal rescue charity really doesn’t cancel that out.

35 minutes ago, The Beast said:

No, what happened with the La Russa hire is that he had two DUIs and got out of them being the Hall of Fame baseball person he is. Also didn’t like how JR hired his guy without discussion and consideration for Hahn’s guy. La Russa may do well for the rest of the tenure here, but I won’t be praising him as much as the players if he wins anything.

Exactly.

Then brought in Willie Harris for a token interview when he was never going to be given a real shot.

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Not even 2004-2010 Ozzie?

I said in the eyes of fans. They despised Ozzie. I was despised, maybe even suspended here for the first time for my passionate defense of his leaving the Sox for Miami. The universal perception here that I didn't buy was he "quit on the team." Fans despised him. . I LOVED Ozzie and got fried for defending him by posters on here.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

we will apologize about TLR after you apologize 16 times for every abreu is washed up post going back 5 years.

:o

Has it been that many anti-Jose, anti-tobacco threads?  The most recent one is that he’s not clutch…seems a bit low.

The all-time record must be Lilian posts salivating over left-handed hitters.  Can’t imagine how she survived that one spring training when Ryan Sweeney was the constant recipient of Hawk adoration.

16 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Has it been that many anti-Jose, anti-tobacco threads?  The most recent one is that he’s not clutch…seems a bit low.

The all-time record must be Lilian posts salivating over left-handed hitters.  Can’t imagine how she survived that one spring training when Ryan Sweeney was the constant recipient of Hawk adoration.

its gotta be at least double digits i think?

On 7/7/2021 at 10:06 PM, caulfield12 said:

So the whole unwritten rules controversy with Yermin, the DUI, the over reliance on bunting, strange bullpen decisions and lack of defensive positioning, LH/RH crap…all were part of some grand strategy to unite the team together?

How Ozzie-like.

You realize you’re staking a position now just to stoke a controversy that you’re going to have to continually defend in the future, like Giolito and Parkman.

In fact, Hibbard finally gave up on the bombardment of positive threads, realizing you can’t force posters to change their perspectives, anymore than SoxTalk requiring members to read and write a book report on How to Win Friends and Influence People would change the tone of 95+% of sports related boards on the internet.

Very good observations.  TLR gives us both good and bad outcomes, have to hope that the good  happens more often than the bad.

12 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

A big No. I have been a consistent critic here saying that the Sox will win this year in despite of TLR and not because of him. This is based on a super talented team and we play in weak division. The fact we still are winning as we bring up minor leaguers to replace all the injuries, is more to the credit of Hahn that he deserves for building this club at the major league level, as well as the minor league level. 

Btw, TRL still makes dumb decisions.  Pitching Hendricks the other day for 2 innings and 6 outs for a close was not wise.

But not worse than running Hendriks unnecessarily in extras for not knowing the rules

12 hours ago, Capital G said:

I was fine with the hiring but had other preferences. With that said you cannot take away that we are in first with so many injuries.

People that hated the hire did bc:

-He is old and outdated. We're winning sooo....

-DUI/He'll be drunk during games. We're winning.

-He wont get along with TA bc he is racist. Have not seen any such issue.

-Yermin. Please, if you really think Yermin got exposed bc of TLR's comments about that HR I want some of what you are smoking.

My only issue with him is his unwillingness to get into ump's faces and back-up his players in certain situations.

Maybe being a Hall of Farmer arguing with umps is beneath him.

4 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Maybe being a Hall of Farmer arguing with umps is beneath him.

Not beneath him but not helpful.  In one of the greatest subtweets I've ever read from a baseball manager he had this to say after Giolito was tossed:

Tony La Russa on the ejected Lucas Giolito: “He was having some fun, but you can’t have it at the expense of the umpires. ... He’s a special individual, and I understand he was trying to have a little fun. ... But umpires, they’re very careful about listening to complaints.”

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Let me stop you right there.

This is one of the absolute worst arguments to use to prop up a manager because by saying it, you are saying that you are also NOT QUALIFIED to know if a manager is good or bad.  If you can't know when a manager is bad, you also can't know when they are good.

I observe, just like everyone else does.  The difference is TLR has a record, and a very good one.  In some respects, it's a record no one is likely to surpass, and they definitely won't if he can guide the White Sox to another WS crown.  

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Not beneath him but not helpful.  In one of the greatest subtweets I've ever read from a baseball manager he had this to say after Giolito was tossed:

Tony LaRussa has been ejected 88 times in his career. He's never had a season without an ejection.  So far this year he's been clean.  Don't expect it to remain that way.  I will add, however, that he tends to have fewer ejections during the years his teams have won the Pennant or World Series, with no more than 2 in any of those seasons.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ron883 said:

Maybe they should hire you to oversee the bullpen and manage Kopech's innings. Sounds like you are a baseball savant who has it all figured out. 

Wtg dude! That just might be the best empty nonsense post this year. Maybe you should come up with a more intelligent response than this loser comment, "that maybe I should oversee the bullpen." I guess that was your attempt at sarcasm. LOL! Hey but wait, maybe you're on to something. Every time someone doesn't agree with a comment, we can all post back with "hey, maybe you should be the manager and manage the bullpen...Mr. Baseball savant. 

FYI dude, this is a forum and I and anybody else here can have their opinions whether right or wrong. The object of this forum is if you don't agree, then come back with your personal logical argument and not some lazy grade school sarcastic comment. 

• Haha 2
  • Fire 2

18 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

autopilot? you can't be serious.  the plane has lost its left engine, the vertical stabilizer is hanging on by a thread and the gear is stuck up.  If TLR manages to land this thing he is a master aviator.

You seem to forget we have the #1 starting rotation and that has been healthy and keeping us going. TLR had nothing to do with bringing those pitchers here or making them the solid staff they are. 

You also fail to realize we play in arguably the weakest division in baseball....for sure the AL.

When guys like Burger, Sheets, Vaughn, Goodwin and Hamilton came through in helping through these horrific injuries, TLR had little to do with making them perform with clutch hits. This team's credit goes to primarily to Rick Hahn, as he put together a team that can win in spite of TLR and not because of him. 

When we get Robert and Eloy back, you won't need a master aviator to land this plane. LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, The Kids Can Play said:

You seem to forget we have the #1 starting rotation and that has been healthy and keeping us going. TLR had nothing to do with bringing those pitchers here or making them the solid staff they are. 

You also fail to realize we play in arguably the weakest division in baseball....for sure the AL.

When guys like Burger, Sheets, Vaughn, Goodwin and Hamilton came through in helping through these horrific injuries, TLR had little to do with making them perform with clutch hits. This team's credit goes to primarily to Rick Hahn, as he put together a team that can win in spite of TLR and not because of him. 

When we get Robert and Eloy back, you won't need a master aviator to land this plane. LOL

Please note you are responding to the same poster who just last year argued success and player production has nothing to do with the manager and all the manager did was hold the team back with poor decision making and everything was the managers fault.

1 year later and he is now arguing the exact opposite.

Players perform because they're professionals. The manager should be judged based on decisions he directly impacts and in that arena LaRussa has sucked. The team has overcome LaRussa's incompetence as a decision maker, nothing more, nothing less. LaRussa has set the organization back multiple decades with his insistence on bunting and his reluctance to shift his defense in a way that makes any sense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Please note you are responding to the same poster who just last year argued success and player production has nothing to do with the manager and all the manager did was hold the team back with poor decision making and everything was the managers fault.

1 year later and he is now arguing the exact opposite.

Players perform because they're professionals. The manager should be judged based on decisions he directly impacts and in that arena LaRussa has sucked. The team has overcome LaRussa's incompetence as a decision maker, nothing more, nothing less. LaRussa has set the organization back multiple decades with his insistence on bunting and his reluctance to shift his defense in a way that makes any sense.

Luhnow and Hinch didn’t even manage to knock one year off the Astros’ competitive window.

9 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

So with all your points, at least admit no managers have an effect on a team unless they are buffoons like Bevington. Who would be a better manager than LaRussa in your mind? You know ... the great Joe Maddon was a god (small g) with the Cubs, then a buffoon with the same team.

Tony LaRussa is not a buffoon. He is excellent and as good as any manager out there to be in charge of this team. I can accept your fact Tony has little to nothing to do with the success of the team, but if I accept that u must accept that NO MANAGER has anything this year to do with the success of his team. No manager. If they are not buffoons like Bevington, they are all about the same.

I'd give Tony an A for his performance this season. What would you give him? C? D? F even?

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

Jimenez said “sometimes it made me sad” to watch the White Sox while he was out, just because he missed it all so much.

His interactions with La Russa, 76, have been “really, really good,” Jimenez said. “He helped me a lot. He was always there for me, he supported me and said, ‘Just be smart.’ I’ve talked to the guys, and they say it’s great to play for him. It’s amazing to play for Tony. I’m excited. I can’t wait to play for him.”

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I’ve talked to the guys, and they say it’s great to play for him. It’s amazing to play for Tony. I’m excited. I can’t wait to play for him.”

Shhhhhh ur not allowed to be pro-TLR here. Even tho the entire Ball Club loves him and we are in first place by a landslide he's still an old drunk, racist, washed up has been. Didn't you hear he didn't know an obscure rule about the runner on 2nd in extra innings?

Edit: Damnit just saw this is my 1,000th post and its defending Tony. Gonna crack open a beer I guess. 

Edited by DoUEvenShift
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

Shhhhhh ur not allowed to be pro-TLR here. Even tho the entire Ball Club loves him and we are in first place by a landslide he's still an old drunk, racist, washed up has been. Didn't you hear he didn't know an obscure rule about the runner on 2nd in extra innings?

Edit: Damnit just saw this is my 1,000th post and its defending Tony. Gonna crack open a beer I guess. 

🍻

13 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

:drink

• Love 1