It’s morning and Tony LaRussa is trending again.

Balta1701

Tony LaRussa’s actions after Abreu was hit in the head last night have become a trending topic overnight. The good news? Unlike last time, it isn’t universal condemnation!

Reactions run from applauding him for defending his player, anger at him for escalating the situation, and laughing at him running. Here’s a decent selection.

It would have been nice had he checked on Jose before Pushing Pair ez away. And I do love the fake outrage where he is holding on to Cairo for dear life, knowing that there is a decent chance he gets his ass kicked if he got into anything real, but as a Sox fan who has always wondered why this guy is managing the team, this isn’t really embarrassing. I do wonder about his logic. This clearly was unintentional and no one felt worse about it than the pitcher, yet he almost cheers when Yermin was intentionally thrown at earlier, using it wasn’t at the head as partial reason not to care. Well, intentionally trying to hit someone has a better shot of being a beanball than just trying to throw inside, and other body parts can be injured by getting hit by a sphere coming at you 97 MPH. Just thankfully Jose is OK.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ThatBallHitDeep_WAYBack said:

People who have an issue with Tony La Russa running out and defending the players have never played a competitive sport in their life.

What would these nerds (like Ben Verlander) be saying if La Russa was sitting in the dugout after Abreu got hit for a 2nd time?

LOL another you never played fan lesson. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Honestly baseball fans just love to hate on La Russa. Some of it is probably deserved, but what he did last night was a breath of fresh air.

Had he done nothing, I'm sure the same critics saying he shouldn't have gotten so mad over an accident would have been criticizing him for not standing up for his player. It's hard for him to win either way in the court of public opinion when most people have their mind made up already. 

I still don't get what Tony is doing half the time with his some of his on-field decisions, but I think he won a lot of Sox fans over with what he did last night. 

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I was at a play last night, but really happy to see Tony react this way.  Like I have said all year, you have to protect your players.

Exactly, and clearly Tim agreed.

Im glad pitcher felt bad, I don’t care if Tony made him feel more bad.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Seriously fuck Karinchak, I don't give a shit how he feels. 

Edited by chw42
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, bmags said:

Its not about intent.  It's about being your teams biggest cheerleader.  These guys need to know you have their back, no matter what.  I have seen it twice recently, both with Tony's actions with Yermin, and now with this. 

Maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks.

39 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Its not about intent.  It's about being your teams biggest cheerleader.  These guys need to know you have their back, no matter what.  I have seen it twice recently, both with Tony's actions with Yermin, and now with this. 

Maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks.

The players love TLR and know he has their backs.  TAs quotes from the ASG said it all.  

• Like 2

Perez called for a high and inside pitch knowing his guy didn't have command. That's why Tony "white Bronco" chased after Perez. When it happened I wondered why Tony was upset because clearly it wasn't intentional. Once I heard his explanation I love his reaction even if it was comical in execution. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Perez called for a high and inside pitch knowing his guy didn't have command. That's why Tony "white Bronco" chased after Perez. When it happened I wondered why Tony was upset because clearly it wasn't intentional. Once I heard his explanation I love his reaction even if it was comical in execution. 

I guess that would mean when White Sox pitchers don’t have their command, catchers are not allowed to call for inside pitches; which we know is BS.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I guess that would mean when White Sox pitchers don’t have their command, catchers are not allowed to call for inside pitches; which we know is BS.

What's your point here?  Are you just being counter argumentative?

Some (not necessarily you) people are so anti TLR that they find fault in everything he does.

Tony gave a reasonable explanation for why he yelled at the catcher.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Tony complained the call was for *high* and inside,  throw inside but low was the message. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

They also said they don't listen to him and do what they want.

With a big ole grin on his face when he said it!  TLR has a very simple leadership principle that I’m sure Tim appreciates.  Be you off the field and be you on the field but show up ready to play and don’t disrespect the Game or your teammates.  The diversity of opinions and backgrounds in this clubhouse has been responsive to that approach. TLR also leans on his player council leaders and has said TA and Jose are the best he’s ever had.  The respect is mutual and enough so that both sides can fuck around with each other once and while and get over it in the morning.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1