AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!@

southsider2k5

3 minutes ago, wegner said:

Agreed....we got him to do a job and he's gotta do it.  I'm not sure at this point that Bummer isn't the bigger problem going forward this season.

Bummer is a big concern currently as are relievers issuing walks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So his ERAs the last 2 seasons matter but his best in the big leagues performance this year doesn’t even get a mention from you once? That seems…less than fair?

The reason he got the 8th is because of his historical performance. With the Sox he has pitched 8 innings and given up 5 runs. He did nothing that inning to make anyone belive that all of a sudden he has found his form as a great set up man.

He has done nothing for the Sox to earn a long rope, he literally is getting chances because of his play for other teams.

He deserved a short rope and yeah its shitty for the Sox because not only do they need him to be good, they also can't kill his trade value for next year.

But this was a game you have to win and I can understand thinking Kimbrel wasn't the choice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Bummer is a big concern currently as are relievers issuing walks.

Bummer always has these kinds of outings. He'll look good for 5-10 outings then not be able to throw a strike.

I'm more worried we've completely mishandled Kimbrel. We need him back to what he was before the trade by October. 

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

The reason he got the 8th is because of his historical performance. With the Sox he has pitched 8 innings and given up 5 runs. He did nothing that inning to make anyone belive that all of a sudden he has found his form as a great set up man.

He has done nothing for the Sox to earn a long rope, he literally is getting chances because of his play for other teams.

He deserved a short rope and yeah its shitty for the Sox because not only do they need him to be good, they also can't kill his trade value for next year.

But this was a game you have to win and I can understand thinking Kimbrel wasn't the choice.

IsBummer better than Kimbrel? Why then we traded for Kimbrel and gave up Madrigal and Heuer?  We could use a contact hitter like Madrigal, which we lack now. We need to give the ball to Kimbrel and not throw him under the bus like TLR did in the 8 th like a Yermin.

Just now, hankchifan said:

IsBummer better than Kimbrel? Why then we traded for Kimbrel and gave up Madrigal and Heuer?  We could use a contact hitter like Madrigal, which we lack now. We need to give the ball to Kimbrel and not throw him under the bus like TLR did in the 8 th like a Yermin.

We can't use Madrigal because Madrigal can't play this year.  TLR just apologized publicly to Kimbrel.  Kimbrel is a big boy.  he can handle it.

People really need to move on from Madrigal. He wouldn’t be helping the team this year.  If Cesar struggles they will just sign someone else this offseason.  Sox don’t need contact hitters, they need(ed) power.  

• Like 1

I get what Tony is saying and why Kimbrel is mad. As a closer he would have got the chance to get Lowe out.  I still feel like they’re calling the wrong pitch sequence with him. When he was on the Cubs this year, it really seemed he was throwing curves in fastball spots.  With the Sox it’s been way too many fastballs to start and he’s falling behind.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hankchifan said:

I wouldn't have made that trade, I think Madrigal is more valuable and Ive been a big supporter. But that was Hahn, who I presume didnt think Kimbrel would have a 5.4 era and look like the past 2 years.

He was given the 8th, no one forced him to have no control. He didnt get the job done, he should be apologizing to Gio for costing him a win.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

People really need to move on from Madrigal. He wouldn’t be helping the team this year.  If Cesar struggles they will just sign someone else this offseason.  Sox don’t need contact hitters, they need(ed) power.  

We need contact hitters for men on third and less than 2 outs and moving the runner over to 3 rd which we have been failing at.

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

I wouldn't have made that trade, I think Madrigal is more valuable and Ive been a big supporter. But that was Hahn, who I presume didnt think Kimbrel would have a 5.4 era and look like the past 2 years.

He was given the 8th, no one forced him to have no control. He didnt get the job done, he should be apologizing to Gio for costing him a win.

Didn’t Bummer allow the runs which were facilitated by TLR intentionally walking the bases loaded.? It is not all on Kimble.

Didn’t Bummer allow the runs which were facilitated by TLR intentionally walking the bases loaded.? It is not all on Kimble.

Bummer needs to peform better too, but he isnt the guy we added to have a lock down 8-9 and win with 2 run leads.

Kimbrel needs to understand that he isnt in the Cubs closing meaningless games for a team going no where. The Sox got him to win a championship, he can't go out there like he did tonight.

• Like 1

Trading Madrigal and Heuer TO THE CUBS for Kimbrel thinking he could pre-Close in the 8th was a mistake.

Hahn should have looked for a set-up man that would not have cost us Heuer and Madrigal.   Kimbrel doesn't even want to be a set-up guy, and from what I have seen he doesn't even look like he wants to pitch for LaRussa or the White Sox.  It dodesn't feel right when he comes in for the 8th...it is as though he is already insulted by not being the Closer and maybe lacks some focus.

• Like 1

The Sox traded Madrigal to try to win this year. As a fan you can not b***h about that.  Kimbrel brought this on himself. If he pitches a clean 8th like he is expected to do none of this happens. And don't tell me he can't adjust to being the set up guy. Him getting through the 8th clean is just as important as the closer getting through the 9th. And getting back to Madrigal a lot of people are forgetting he had a lot of limitations. He was never going to hit for power and defensively he was average. Come playoff time a at the top of his game Kimbrel is way more valuable than Madrigal. Bottom line Kimbrel has to start doing what he was brought here and paid to do. 

4 minutes ago, tray said:

Trading Madrigal and Heuer TO THE CUBS for Kimbrel thinking he could pre-Close in the 8th was a mistake.

Hahn should have looked for a set-up man that would not have cost us Heuer and Madrigal.   Kimbrel doesn't even want to be a set-up guy, and from what I have seen he doesn't even look like he wants to pitch for LaRussa or the White Sox.  It dodesn't feel right when he comes in for the 8th...it is as though he is already insulted by not being the Closer and maybe lacks some focus.

I wanted Daniel Hudson.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, brijames1957 said:

The Sox traded Madrigal to try to win this year.

That is the potential miscalculation. Winning a championship requires a great team and a lot of luck, and usually more than just one run at it.

The Sox need to have a window that extends beyond this season and beginning next year, Madrigal was supposed to be part of it.  I , for one, am not happy they traded him...to the Cubs.

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

I wanted Iglesias

Im starting to get a strange feeling TLR may actually prefer a classic set up man to another closer. I think he may feel it handcuffs him because the expectation is the 8th has to be Kimbrel.

Lets say for the sake of argument TLR doesn't think Kimbrel is the best option today, imagine the questions about why wasnt he in the 8th.

Kimbrel will be fine.  He likely would have worked his way out of the jam.  He also was stiffed on a few close calls in that first at bat.  

Reading about Kimbrel.  He's a creature of habit.  He thrives on routines.  And he's likely now getting used to that routine of the 8th inning.  I would rather he learn to get used to it now than in the postseason.  I would give him a few opportunities to close.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Bummer needs to peform better too, but he isnt the guy we added to have a lock down 8-9 and win with 2 run leads.

Kimbrel needs to understand that he isnt in the Cubs closing meaningless games for a team going no where. The Sox got him to win a championship, he can't go out there like he did tonight.

If he isn’t the guy we added to lock down the 8-9, why did we bring him into a noncritical situation in the 8th when Kimbrel was already on the mound?