Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Texsox

2022 Catch All

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Texsox said:

They are nice. The challenge is charging while camping. We typically spend have our time off grid and remote. When portable solar charging is efficient it would be am amazing choice for me.

My nephew in California just took delivery last week of a Rivian. Traded in his Model 3. My oldest is on the Riv waiting list. I'm excited to see those. 

Good point. I am not a fan of the look of the Rovian truck but I like the look of the SUV - but haven’t yet seen that one in person (since not out yet). In general don’t like how small the truck is. 
 

That said - it’s headquarters are like five minutes from where I live and I have some friends that work there so really rooting for them. 
 

Good point for the charging in rural areas - but also kind of cool how they serve as generators too if you are rural. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Technically they serve as battery banks as compared to something that is actually  generating electricity while running. My truck has an actual gas fueled generator plus an inverter. The inverter basically draws from the battery. The generator requires the engine to be running but as long as I have gas, it will generate electricity. 

I'm wondering why someone hasn't created a product that will allow the output of these vehicles to easily be connected to a home. There are whole house generators that automatically come in line when power goes out, why not have that attached to an electric vehicle or generator installed vehicle? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Texsox said:

I'm wondering why someone hasn't created a product that will allow the output of these vehicles to easily be connected to a home. There are whole house generators that automatically come in line when power goes out, why not have that attached to an electric vehicle or generator installed vehicle? 

 

Yep, that's a great idea. I have no need for a truck but something like this in an electric vehicle I'd actually buy would give me peace of mind for when the big Cascadia quake hits the pacific northwest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Realize my tastes have basically converged to be “Matt Damon dad” culture but I’m embracing it. 
 

Along those lines, just read “Project Hail Mary” and was one of the few fiction books I blew through in a few days. Author of “The Martian”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm starting to put together my summer reading list. I need a series or two that's in Kindle Unlimited plus were hitting up Half Price Books for a hundred bucks worth of my paperbacks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Texsox said:

I'm starting to put together my summer reading list. I need a series or two that's in Kindle Unlimited plus were hitting up Half Price Books for a hundred bucks worth of my paperbacks. 

I've been reading on my phone a lot, I should just get that.

It looks like the murderbot diaries are on kindle unlimited. I know that name sounds very stupid, but it's a tongue-in-cheek name and a series that had me actually laugh out loud many times. Also very short reads. Not sure the whole series is on unlimited but the first few are and I highly recommend unless science fiction is completely not your bag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The joy of Kindle unlimited is if I'm not into a book it's easy enough to return and check out something else. 

I'll look it up. Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just gonna leave this here. Bravo Steve Kerr. This is a good man.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have gun free zones at the NRA convention, including when a certain former reality host will be speaking. Why? Haven’t we been told the more guns the safer we all are?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2022 at 6:06 PM, Dick Allen said:

They have gun free zones at the NRA convention, including when a certain former reality host will be speaking. Why? Haven’t we been told the more guns the safer we all are?

Most gun owners aren't crazy and understand guns shouldn't be allowed everywhere. In fairness it's the opposite argument of the pictures of Obama or Biden saying guns are dangerous while surrounded by Secret Service agents with more firepower than anyone else on earth. 

The real difference between the two sides is one doesn't mind if folks that should not have a gun have them as long as everyone who should can. The other side doesn't mind if folks that should be allowed to have them are denied as long as everyone who shouldn't doesn't. 

I'll bet more than half my friends own firearms. They hunt. They target shoot. They collect custom shotguns and rifles. They support tougher background checks, tighter registration, various limits. Most are against the constitutional carry laws. They are really normal folks. 

Years ago I shot an AR-15 style rifle. Yeah it was fun back then to play a grown up game of soldier. But not anymore. I turned down every invitation to shoot or hunt the past couple years. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So our brilliant, gun loving, NRA bought and paid for politicians think the solution to end school gun violence is arming teachers. Yeah, that’s what teachers signed up to do.

I assume they’ll all be trained to handle a handgun proficiently. Law enforcement has quarterly firearms qualifications, so teachers will have to mirror that, I’m sure. If they don’t qualify, no more teaching. 

They can keep the guns in their desk drawers. Or, maybe every teacher has a gun holstered. Who knows? We can let them decide. Maybe a shot gun leaning in the corner, too. That should work great when the nuts with AR-15s walk into the school and start shooting.

The teacher may not even have to stop teaching. Just calmly pull the gun out and keep reading to the class until the intruder comes down the hall to meet his end. Head shot. Problem solved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Middle Buffalo I'm one of those teachers that many would expect to carry. Currently each morning, I'm stationed out front of my school with a couple other coaches and our ROTC commanders. I guess we're supposed to be deterrents and targets. 

Would we be more effective with guns than cell phones? 

My issue is the same as I faced as a young father. To be useful for protection the gun must be available and able to shoot quickly. For those reasons as a father I decided against relying on firearms to protect my family. I would make the same decision for my students.

But if I was in classroom 112 at Robb Elementary would I be more helpful whispering into a cell phone or pulling a gun? If I'm signing my death certificate by teaching shouldn't I be given a fighting chance to survive? 

As you can tell I'm conflicted. I would not trust most teachers to carry on campus. I also can think of several I would in a heartbeat. We have several who are former law enforcement officers. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I would not trust most teachers to carry on campus.

Thinking back to many of the teachers I had over the years, I agree. 

I think there are probably a lot that wouldn't even want to either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

Thinking back to many of the teachers I had over the years, I agree. 

I think there are probably a lot that wouldn't even want to either.

Exactly. 

I have a lectern I custom built a few years ago. I could easily add a hidden and secure storage space. I could also retire and walk away. 

You can guess which one is more appealing right now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2022 at 8:41 AM, Middle Buffalo said:

So our brilliant, gun loving, NRA bought and paid for politicians think the solution to end school gun violence is arming teachers. Yeah, that’s what teachers signed up to do.

I assume they’ll all be trained to handle a handgun proficiently. Law enforcement has quarterly firearms qualifications, so teachers will have to mirror that, I’m sure. If they don’t qualify, no more teaching. 

They can keep the guns in their desk drawers. Or, maybe every teacher has a gun holstered. Who knows? We can let them decide. Maybe a shot gun leaning in the corner, too. That should work great when the nuts with AR-15s walk into the school and start shooting.

The teacher may not even have to stop teaching. Just calmly pull the gun out and keep reading to the class until the intruder comes down the hall to meet his end. Head shot. Problem solved.

I mean for obvious reasons there is no scientific study here, but I get the feeling WAY more deaths would result from these guns being stolen and used in anger by students, by teachers being mistaken in the heat of the moment and being shot, by teachers who lose their cool in the heat of being bullied etc, than would ever possibly be saved by those guns.  We know more people die of gun accidents in homes than are ever saved by them, so why would a classroom situation be different?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I mean for obvious reasons there is no scientific study here, but I get the feeling WAY more deaths would result from these guns being stolen and used in anger by students, by teachers being mistaken in the heat of the moment and being shot, by teachers who lose their cool in the heat of being bullied etc, than would ever possibly be saved by those guns.  We know more people die of gun accidents in homes than are ever saved by them, so why would a classroom situation be different?

Texas has allowed teachers to have concealed weapons in schools since just after Sandy Hook in 2013 actually. It requires additional training equivalent to a couple weeks of time as of now. (https://www.tcole.texas.gov/sites/default/files/documents/school marshal brochure.pdf). Thus far in all of Texas, fewer than 300 teachers have actually signed up.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/27/arming-teachers-hard-gun-loving-texas-00035794

If that was the goal, the options are - reduce the training required as its too burdensome, provide bonuses such as financial incentives for completing that training, or simply require it of teachers whether they like it or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple notes on that. It's up to the district, not the individual teacher, if they will be allowed to carry on campus. The Marshall program has a requirement that a teacher must first be approved by the district and already be legally allowed to carry. 

I'm not aware that my district has allowed it. If they have it makes sense on one hand not to advertise it, but on the other it negates any value as a deterrent. 

I'm thinking of a colleague who was a former LA Country Sheriff. He'd be the poster child for the program. 

Five years ago I was 100% against it. Now I'm not so certain. Especially knowing the police response isn't guaranteed until after the shooting is over. I'm certain every parent of a child in classroom 111 or 112 wishes the teacher was armed. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had police who were specifically trained to handle guns and react to active shooter situations, and they collectively shit the bed. I can’t imagine teachers on the whole would be much more effective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Middle Buffalo said:

We had police who were specifically trained to handle guns and react to active shooter situations, and they collectively shit the bed. I can’t imagine teachers on the whole would be much more effective.

The difference is point of view. If my point of view is being five feet away from a guy pulling the trigger on a Daniel Defense AR-15 replica and killing students around me, my point of view and response will be different than the more qualified and trained law enforcement individual who is safe a quarter mile away or a politician hundreds or thousands of miles away. I'd literally be fighting for my life and the lives of students around me. 

If your child is hiding with me in my classroom while listening to kids being slaughtered do you want me to have a cell phone and bullet tipped dry erase markers or a gun? 

The school Marshall plan is making more and more sense to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Middle Buffalo said:

We had police who were specifically trained to handle guns and react to active shooter situations, and they collectively shit the bed. I can’t imagine teachers on the whole would be much more effective.

This is the kind of situation I am thinking of. How are the late arriving police supposed to know who the "good guys" are in the chaos of a mass shooting?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I'm not allowed to address this, delete my post. Without any comment, just answer the question pls.

Elon Musk yay or nay? I'll go with Yay.

Johnny Depp yay or nay? I'll go with Yay.

Bill Maher yay or nay? I'll go with Yay

And Howard Stern yay or nay? I'll go with yay. Peace mid week day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is the kind of situation I am thinking of. How are the late arriving police supposed to know who the "good guys" are in the chaos of a mass shooting?  

 

Why not arrest everyone and sort it out later? As a police officer why not only shoot people aiming at you? It shouldn't matter good or bad. Point a gun at a cop, get shot. Don't point a gun at a cop, don't get shot. 

Each side can create scenarios that prove their opinion is correct. In this one armed folks made it worse. If your child was whispering in their phone for help while people were getting shot, do you want their teacher pointing a gun or a cell phone at the murderer? If a gunman was pointing a gun point blank at your wife do you want a gun or a phone? 

Do I want someone shooting indiscriminately in a dark movie theater? No. Basically anything outside of self defense is a don't fire. Don't fire to protect property. Don't fire at someone running away. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Texsox said:

Why not arrest everyone and sort it out later? As a police officer why not only shoot people aiming at you? It shouldn't matter good or bad. Point a gun at a cop, get shot. Don't point a gun at a cop, don't get shot. 

Each side can create scenarios that prove their opinion is correct. In this one armed folks made it worse. If your child was whispering in their phone for help while people were getting shot, do you want their teacher pointing a gun or a cell phone at the murderer? If a gunman was pointing a gun point blank at your wife do you want a gun or a phone? 

Do I want someone shooting indiscriminately in a dark movie theater? No. Basically anything outside of self defense is a don't fire. Don't fire to protect property. Don't fire at someone running away. 

 

 

You have a scene here full of guys who are carrying and thinking they are "good" guys, and the officers involved have a fraction of a second to correctly identify who is good and bad knowing nothing about the situation.  Adding more dead people to a mass shooting situation doesn't seem ideal, but I don't get a lot of gun culture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Why not arrest everyone and sort it out later? As a police officer why not only shoot people aiming at you? It shouldn't matter good or bad. Point a gun at a cop, get shot. Don't point a gun at a cop, don't get shot. 

Each side can create scenarios that prove their opinion is correct. In this one armed folks made it worse. If your child was whispering in their phone for help while people were getting shot, do you want their teacher pointing a gun or a cell phone at the murderer? If a gunman was pointing a gun point blank at your wife do you want a gun or a phone? 

Do I want someone shooting indiscriminately in a dark movie theater? No. Basically anything outside of self defense is a don't fire. Don't fire to protect property. Don't fire at someone running away. 

 

 

Ok - so say person isn't aimed at the cops but instead is aiming at someone else with a gun or both are aiming at each other; what do cops do, etc? Plus lets not pretend you have that much time to react/you are going to be quick on a trigger going into a situation where shots have been fired and you have no clue who is a good person vs. a bad one (I get it - people will likely drop that are good in those scenarios quicker and throw up there hands but everything is going to be rapid and will you even be listening to your surroundings when you are in a life / death situation).  These are all reasons I know that me personally, could not have a gun for self defense (cause I have nowhere near the training and way more risk vs. benefit for me personally).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×