Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

You could see how tonight's events would lead to Kimbrel getting salary dumped and Conforto signing with the Sox to a deal that's in the range of what Castellanos got. They were willing to pay in that range for Wheeler, after all.

But it's just difficult for me to believe everything will align for the Sox that perfectly until I actually see it.

They were willing to go that far with Wheeler when they weren't paying Keuchel $18 million a year and Hendriks $13 million a year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

You could see how tonight's events would lead to Kimbrel getting salary dumped and Conforto signing with the Sox to a deal that's in the range of what Castellanos got. They were willing to pay in that range for Wheeler, after all.

But it's just difficult for me to believe everything will align for the Sox that perfectly until I actually see it.

Yep, if it was another team we would think it’s the likely scenario. Unfortunately we have Jerry’s accountants throwing cold water on everything.

4 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Why would the sox pick up his contract to salary dump it? 

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yep, if it was another team we would think it’s the likely scenario. Unfortunately we have Jerry’s accountants throwing cold water on everything.

Yeah I don’t think Conforto happens especially since he’s the last of the big OF remaining, bidding war will happen and the Sox will not be able to compete

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

Jerry’s accountants wouldn’t be leaking stuff on Twitter.  I can’t stress enough how quickly they would be caught and fired for that.

4 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

That account is run by like a 15 year old. I promise you they don’t know anything.

The same people who thought Kopech for Gallo was a fair deal. 

Also, at the trade deadline last year, that account had like 500 followers. How they've gone up to 13k now is crazy. I guess playing fake insider has its perks.

Edited by chw42

32 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I really can't stand the "X player to X team" people on Twitter. Why make that your entire online persona? It's just fucking weird. 

Liking a baseball player is not a personality. 

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Jerry’s accountants wouldn’t be leaking stuff on Twitter.  I can’t stress enough how quickly they would be caught and fired for that.

I don’t think it’s his accountants, I was being sarcastic. I do think they know people high up in the organization, as they knew some stuff last year IIRC.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don’t think it’s his accountants, I was being sarcastic. I do think they know people high up in the organization, as they knew some stuff last year IIRC.

I think if Kimbrel gets traded in the next 24 hours it wouldn’t be a coincidence and would have some hope in signing Conforto I just hope he’s not out of the price range to get him at this point 

Edited by HahnsKiddieTable

29 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Nah but he just responded to my castellanos posting saying we have enough right handed hitters 

Stone reads this board confirmed. How else could he know that we have too many right handed hitters?

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, chw42 said:

They were willing to go that far with Wheeler when they weren't paying Keuchel $18 million a year and Hendriks $13 million a year.

I think the fact they've added Harrison (5.5M) and Kelly (8M) since the lockout ended is evidence that Jerry will run a payroll in this range. Getting Kimbrel off the books clearly wasn't essential for them to spend *something*, even if it's not in the areas any of us like.

Trading away Kimbrel and signing Conforto to the Castellanos deal adds 4M to next seasons payroll. That doesn't strike me as an unreasonable ask whatsoever.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I've seen rumors that Boras was looking to get him more than Castellanos and Schwarber. 

That ain't gonna happen. If he could get 4 $90M the deal would be done already. Conforto is trying to recoup that Met's offer of $100M to him for what was it 4 years? He bet on himself in 2021 and lost so now he'll take the closest thing to that Mets offer. He'd be an idiot to take a 1 year offer because another off year and and it crushes any hope of a big deal.

• Quin locked this topic