6/4/22 Sox @ Rays, 3:10 pm

3 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

All fighting for playing time that the deserve.  Engel has to be beside himself watching the two 1B play the outfield.

All 3 of them better be in the lineup tomorrow....no excuses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maxjusttyped said:

I've never seen an athlete who gets their body language scrutinized more than Yoan Moncada.

Everyone's just throwing their 2 cents worth into how bad he's playing looking for answers. Maybe it's all physical and has nothing to do with desire but that's very hard to accept. We know he got Covid and we also hear noise about his partying which could have led to him getting Covid.

We have no idea if long Covid is currently hurting him with regards to stamina or weakened muscles or whatever it can do to you. It all adds up to a guy who doesn't seem like baseball is his main focus or if money has corrupted his desire and his youth and social lifestyle led to getting Covid and weakening his body and baseball talents.

13 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Everyone's just throwing their 2 cents worth into how bad he's playing looking for answers. Maybe it's all physical and has nothing to do with desire but that's very hard to accept. We know he got Covid and we also hear noise about his partying which could have led to him getting Covid.

We have no idea if long Covid is currently hurting him with regards to stamina or weakened muscles or whatever it can do to you. It all adds up to a guy who doesn't seem like baseball is his main focus or if money has corrupted his desire and his youth and social lifestyle led to getting Covid and weakening his body and baseball talents.

There is literally zero evidence that Yoan doesn't care about baseball. Just because he's (seemingly) lower energy and more introverted doesn't mean he doesn't care. I have no idea how people continue to reach this conclusion, but defending him on here is obviously a losing battle.

Yoan already had set for life money before he ever played a game in the major leagues. Signing his extension with the Sox or having a bad case of covid made him suddenly not care about the game anymore?? Do people not remember seeing him in the dugout in 2020 looking like he was about to die after running the bases? He never spent a day on the IL and played in 52 of 60 games that season. That doesn't strike me as someone who doesn't care, but to each their own. Right now it's obvious he's playing through some type of injury (he should almost certainly be on the IL right now given how poorly he's playing through it) but still gutting it out to try and help the team. Again, I'm not seeing any signs here to suggest this is someone who doesn't care. He's been abysmal this season and there's no denying that, but because he released a music video or doesn't break something in the dugout after striking out it means he doesn't care about baseball? come on.

Edited by maxjusttyped
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1

Takeaways from this game.

1. Saved by Burger’s homer.  When we hit homers we have a good chance to win.

2. we continue to be a ground ball hitting machine.  Not many homers or sacrifice flys. Frequent double play balls.

3. we refuse to take walks.  Don’t work the pitching counts and allow opposing starting pitchers to go deeper into games. Hard to have a big crooked number inning when we don’t walk and hit mostly grounders and very few homers.

4. We were lucky to win this close game after Cease gave up 7 walks.  Both Rays runs were scored by players who walked.

5. Mendick has been hitting the ball well.  Mendick should hit lead off regardless. Leury not to hit lead off again.

6. when we can get the game to Graveman and Hendriks we are in good shape.  We need to keep games close, and not punt with scrub relievers when we get a couple of runs behind.

7. Its good to see the Sox pinch hitting more often.  As of two weeks ago,  TLR had only pinched hit 5 times in the season, lowest in the majors.

Few fun takeaways from this game (I live and Tampa and was there with my 14 y/o son)

1) legit about 1/3 white Sox fans, mostly behind 3rd base dugout and in OF, made a ton of noise, lots of “let’s go white Sox” chants that then were drained out by booos.

2) the abreu error seemed like a pretty sharp hit ball, happened right in front of me.

3) Burger absolutely demolished that ball. 

4) We were sitting 12th row right at 1B. Slow foul ball dribbler down to abreu in the bottom 8th. He grabs the ball, I’m the only person in our section (behind the rays dugout, I had rays employee tickets from a friend) wearing white Sox gear (my old Frank Thomas jersey from when I was a kid), he throws a perfect dime over the netting to my hands in the sense I don’t even have to move an inch from my seat. The skill to do that is pretty wild. For the record, I made the catch, bare hands. 

Go Sox! Much needed win. 

I wondered if anyone else saw Moncada's reaction after Burger's home run. 

Maybe he is hurt, maybe he has a real bad case of long-term COVID - but there is no excuse to not be happy about a teammate giving your team the lead. He seems to have zero interest in playing baseball from all that I see. Put him on IL until he gets his act together - physically and mentally. 

3 minutes ago, Mokena94 said:

I wondered if anyone else saw Moncada's reaction after Burger's home run. 

Maybe he is hurt, maybe he has a real bad case of long-term COVID - but there is no excuse to not be happy about a teammate giving your team the lead. He seems to have zero interest in playing baseball from all that I see. Put him on IL until he gets his act together - physically and mentally. 

He had his hands up in celebration immediately after, and then high fived Jake in the dugout. Was he supposed to present Jake with a gift of some kind?