Neal Cotts

jasonxctf

Cotts isnt getting it done anymore. I think his ERA is 5.96 now. Maybe it's due to him having to start that one game... who knows. He's just been horrible over the past 2 months.

Anyone else think it's time to send him back to AAA to get his head on straight?

OK. Cotts has much better "stuff" than I imagined when he was in the minors. In AA, what really stood out was his ability to not give up the long ball. In the majors, that's probably his biggest weakness. His control is really lacking, not just talking about walks, but pitches in the strike zone too. The place for a guy with shaky control and gopheritis is not as a specialty reliever IMO. I think he should be down in AAA as a STARTER. If he can get his arm stretched out and get his control back, he could be useful to us in the second half of the year. Bring up Jose Santiago who is a proven mediocre major leaguer.

Wunsch is done with the Sox.  He is no longer on their 40-man roster and is also on the disabled list.

Really? I forgot how this all worked. I wish they'd bring him back, he's better than Jackson and Politte, at least.

OK. Cotts has much better "stuff" than I imagined when he was in the minors. In AA, what really stood out was his ability to not give up the long ball. In the majors, that's probably his biggest weakness. His control is really lacking, not just talking about walks, but pitches in the strike zone too. The place for a guy with shaky control and gopheritis is not as a specialty reliever IMO. I think he should be down in AAA as a STARTER. If he can get his arm stretched out and get his control back, he could be useful to us in the second half of the year. Bring up Jose Santiago who is a proven mediocre major leaguer.

yeah, that's a pretty good idea. Cotts probably is better suited as a starter next year than a reliever. Unfortunately, we don't even really have "warm bodies" in the pen if we do that.

This thread is no doubt in response to the 2-run HR he gave up last night. But it seems to forget Neal saving Esteban's ass in the 5th with one out and runners on 2nd &3rd.

Who else do you bring in in the 5th of a close game w/RISP? It's too early to use Damaso. Damaso and Neal have been the best relivers the sox have with inheritted runners. He's still holding hitters to a paltry .225 avg while pitching out of the pen.

I'll live with Neal's 2-run shots. I'd prefer he learn to make them solo shots. It's a learning process, and in a perfect world he would be learning it at AAA. But right now he's the best option we've got.