Jon Garland, back to form?

whitesoxfan101

Sorry for two posts in a row; just saw this written about Jon by the Chicago Trib:

“Confidence,” catcher A.J. Pierzynski said of the difference between this Garland and the one who won only two of his first seven starts. “Early in the year he was worried about his velocity. He has gone back to changing speeds. When he pitches, you feel like you can win.”

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 07:35 PM)
Well after a rough start at Baltimore (and he did get a win) and a rough 1st tonight, Jon turns it around to toss 6 quality innings against a damn good offensive team and pick up a big road win. Jon is now 8-0 in his last 10 starts, with the team 9-1 in those games, and moved to 12-3 while getting his ERA below 5 all the way to.......4.99!! :bang

Way to bounce back Jon, you've been the stopper for nearly 2 months now and kudos to you for showing that you aren't a worthless piece of crap. :cheers

:cheers :cheers

Big Jon has been awesome. Now if only the rest of the rotation could turn there season's around like jon did 10 starts ago. :cheers

Is it safe to say if Jon didn't turn it around, our playoff chances would almost be diminished right now?

He's been absolutely huge the last couple of months. Suddenly he's a key component of this rotation again.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 11:07 PM)
Is it safe to say if Jon didn't turn it around, our playoff chances would almost be diminished right now?

He's been absolutely huge the last couple of months. Suddenly he's a key component of this rotation again.

If Jon had not found his marbles and 2 seamer, we'd be somewhere around tied with the Blue Jays right now.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a different whipping boy every few weeks or month. That's just the way it goes around here. There will always be somebody that most everybody is whining about.

I remember many saying how they hoped we got rid of him in the offseason. First it was Garland, then Vazquez, then Buerhle, now Garcia. Hopefully that doesn't mean Jose is next but it wouldn't surprise me. By the end of the year I expect to see a seperate thread about everyone of our players being shipped out. It's hilarious.

It was fun watching tonight's game and see a starter with some zip

on his fastball for a change.

Garland is a stud.

Some of his critics won't be happy til we ship him away, though.

He's an unpopular player at least on the Internet.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 19, 2006 -> 10:51 PM)
The ace of this staff wants an apology from all the haters, JGINAA promoters, and people who call him a lazy ass Cali boy who doesn't care about results. I am wrong a lot, but sticking with Jon is one of the few things I might have got right, kudos Garland!!

LOL. You were hating on him hard when he was struggling. The only people around here that stuck with him were me, Jason, and Dbaho.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 06:48 AM)
LOL. You were hating on him hard when he was struggling. The only people around here that stuck with him were me, Jason, and Dbaho.

Dont leave me out. I know our names our similar but im not associated with his hating and Ive always backed Garland :cheers

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 06:32 PM)
Dont leave me out. I know our names our similar but im not associated with his hating and Ive always backed Garland :cheers

Everyone wants to get in on the "I backed Garland before he turned it around bandwagon" all of a sudden. :D

But IIRC you were on there as well.

The one thing that stuck out to me last night is that Garland was getting first-pitch strikes, and that is always HUGE. Those Twinkie hitters had no idea what was coming.

P.S. I still hate Torii Hunter, and hope he's eaten by Bartolo Colon.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 03:32 AM)

Yeah, you supported him, too. I think Balta was another one. Everybody else was like "f*** Jon! He was a fluke! Judy's back! Trade him! Overpaid!."

QUOTE(Pastime @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 07:02 PM)
The one thing that stuck out to me last night is that Garland was getting first-pitch strikes, and that is always HUGE. Those Twinkie hitters had no idea what was coming.

P.S. I still hate Torii Hunter, and hope he's eaten by Bartolo Colon.

Yeah it's such a fine line with Garland's pitches in terms of balls and strikes. His control really needs to be pin-point, but I always had faith he would turn it around, because he was just missing those pitches, and there wasn't anything wrong with physcially unlike say a Freddy Garcia.

I think, in a way, Garland may well be this years Jose Contreras. During the 2nd half last year, the entire team was in a funk and many were about to throw in the towel. Jose quietly stepped up and carried the team and I didn't even appreciate it since the season almost appeared lost. Well, until a few weeks ago, this season about seemed lost as well, and only one starter was carrying us. That starter was, and is, JG. If we win it all again, JG (well, and JD) will be seen as the horse who made it possible.

SFF

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 08:55 AM)
I think, in a way, Garland may well be this years Jose Contreras. During the 2nd half last year, the entire team was in a funk and many were about to throw in the towel. Jose quietly stepped up and carried the team and I didn't even appreciate it since the season almost appeared lost. Well, until a few weeks ago, this season about seemed lost as well, and only one starter was carrying us. That starter was, and is, JG. If we win it all again, JG (well, and JD) will be seen as the horse who made it possible.

SFF

last year i told myself, thank god for jose contreras, because i didnt know where we would be without him in the second half.....i said the exact same thing last night about jon garland

I thought Garland's two-seam fastball running back over the outside corner to righties yesterday was awesome, just pinpoint. He pitches to contact so you know he'll have a few bad games from here to the end but he's been very impressive lately, no question about it. I think he has certianly surpassed Garcia and Vazquez in the order of guys you have confidence in heading towards the big games of September and October

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 10:11 AM)
I thought Garland's two-seam fastball running back over the outside corner to righties yesterday was awesome, just pinpoint. He pitches to contact so you know he'll have a few bad games from here to the end but he's been very impressive lately, no question about it. I think he has certianly surpassed Garcia and Vazquez in the order of guys you have confidence in heading towards the big games of September and October

He definitely is a contact pitcher and won't get very many strikeouts. Having said that, he WILL have a couple of outings where he's gonna get lit up. However, I was impressed on how he kept the hitters off balance all night, working in and out. Garland is right now the #2 pitcher in the rotation. He has the mental toughness to ignore a bad pitch sequence and start right again. The same cannot be said about "Half-game" Vasquez, or Garcia. They get in a jam and the flood gates burst!

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 19, 2006 -> 11:51 PM)
The ace of this staff wants an apology from all the haters, JGINAA promoters, and people who call him a lazy ass Cali boy who doesn't care about results. I am wrong a lot, but sticking with Jon is one of the few things I might have got right, kudos Garland!!

JGINAA.

QUOTE(Felix @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 11:27 AM)
JGINAA.

Then our staff doesn't have one, and your admitting we have no chance even if we do make the playoffs. Jon Garland, when he's on, is a STUD. However I will give you he needs to be more consistent (the 2nd half of last year and 1st half of this come to mind).

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 01:48 AM)

I was hating on his performance because I knew how good he was. At no point did I want him traded or moved out of the rotation, I had faith he would turn it around. All I was saying was he was pitching like crap, which was obvious.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 09:11 AM)
he's been very impressive lately, no question about it. I think he has certianly surpassed Garcia and Vazquez in the order of guys you have confidence in heading towards the big games of September and October

You can add Buehrle to that list as well