Music Thread

greasywheels121

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SnB @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 05:17 PM)
anybody ever heard of joshua radin?

he just came out with a new album, really good if you like softer music (a way better john mayer in my opinion)

he's done a ton of work on scrubs.

I know him from his Scrubs stuff. He and Braff are good friends.

You know, I've realized as far as Linkin Park singles go, when they try and rock out it's nothing special or original. Just bland heavy music, but there ballad-y songs like "Shadow of the Day" or "Leave out All the rest" are really good. Such an odd combo.

QUOTE (Cali @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 11:39 AM)
You know, I've realized as far as Linkin Park singles go, when they try and rock out it's nothing special or original. Just bland heavy music, but there ballad-y songs like "Shadow of the Day" or "Leave out All the rest" are really good. Such an odd combo.

I disagree. Shadow of the Day is dogs***. I like their heavier stuff though.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 10:51 AM)
I disagree. Shadow of the Day is dogs***. I like their heavier stuff though.

Their "heavy" stuff is the by-product of a dead genre. It's funny that they are the only band to survive the Rap-Metal craze of the late 90's early 2000's.....

QUOTE (Cali @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 12:51 PM)
Their "heavy" stuff is the by-product of a dead genre. It's funny that they are the only band to survive the Rap-Metal craze of the late 90's early 2000's.....

Where's Fred Durst when u need him. Damn did I like me some Limp Bizkit back in the day.

QUOTE (shipps @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 03:01 PM)
Rage?

I don't think Rage belongs in that group, especially since they came before the Limp Bizkits/Linkin Parks/etcs of the rap-metal or nu metal or whatever it was called. And i'll be honest, i loved the rap-metal ages, but to me, Rage was and still is an original sound, with a kickass frontman and a great band behind him. I'll take me some Rage any day, however, I am biased since they are my favorite band.

And to add to it, since their last original cd was Battle of LA towards the end of '99, i dont think they can be included in the group as 'surviving'. The only post 2000 cd released was the Renegades Cover cd, and a Live cd. Of course, they broke up and are now back together, and hopefully they do release that rumored cd of new material one of these days.

Edited by smalls2598

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 02:10 PM)
I don't think Rage belongs in that group, especially since they came before the Limp Bizkits/Linkin Parks/etcs of the rap-metal or nu metal or whatever it was called.

Also, they haven't released an original cd since Battle Of LA. Of course, they also broke up in the late 90's and didn't reform until last year.

They have to be in that group.They are the inventors of that genre and lucky for us the only band of that genre that has stood the test.And I think the fact that they have stood the test of time is that they actually have musical/performance talent unlike those other groups.

Hopefully soon they will come out with something new,they have no reason not too in these political times.

QUOTE (shipps @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 03:15 PM)
They have to be in that group.They are the inventors of that genre and lucky for us the only band of that genre that has stood the test.And I think the fact that they have stood the test of time is that they actually have musical/performance talent unlike those other groups.

Hopefully soon they will come out with something new,they have no reason not too in these political times.

I modified my post, and it looks like you submitted your reply based off the old one. But looks like we agree, they are the most talented of that genre but my main point was that they haven't released anything new, which is why they shouldn't be included on the list.

Anyway, I saw them last August at Alpine Valley, and holy crap, are they amazing live. I've been to many concerts in my life, and I've seen some great shows, but that one topped them all. There is talk that they may do another US tour next year....and i'm crossing my fingers that it's true.

QUOTE (Cali @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 10:39 AM)

I have quietly liked "Shadow of the Day." It gets stuck in my head often. I usually don't like Linkin Park.

Posting in that "Let's Play A Game" thread made me think of this. There is a song by Billy Bob Thornton (and I assume his band, The Box Masters) called The Wind. It is a song that was written by Warren Zevon, but never recorded. There was a tribute CD made for Zevon after he died, and a bunch of different singers and bands covered his songs. That was one of them, and it's really good, IMO. It'd probably be up the alley of the classic rock guys. It's slow, but if you can download it or something, I'd go for it.

The CD also has a cover of Werewolves Of London by Adam Sandler which, surprisingly, isn't bad at all.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 04:27 PM)
Posting in that "Let's Play A Game" thread made me think of this. There is a song by Billy Bob Thornton (and I assume his band, The Box Masters) called The Wind. It is a song that was written by Warren Zevon, but never recorded. There was a tribute CD made for Zevon after he died, and a bunch of different singers and bands covered his songs. That was one of them, and it's really good, IMO. It'd probably be up the alley of the classic rock guys. It's slow, but if you can download it or something, I'd go for it.

The CD also has a cover of Werewolves Of London by Adam Sandler which, surprisingly, isn't bad at all.

Warren is one of my favorites, I regret not seeing him in concert before he died.

QUOTE (Cali @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 02:34 PM)
I know there are some Coheed & Cambria fans on the board, any of you guys going to the Neverender in Chicago?

I'm going to the "In Keeping Secrets..." night here in LA.

I thought about it, since they are my favorite band. But, unless they schedule a Neverender Texas, I won't be making it. Other trips I have planned later this year will prevent me from making it

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Sep 19, 2008 -> 05:12 PM)
I was listening to WXRT last night and they played a song called "Sometime Around Midnight" by Airborne Toxic Event. I fell in love with it. Has it been around awhile? Anyone hear anything else by the band? Their album is on I-Tunes, I may get it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Airborne_Toxic_Event

Looks like 2006 for the band, 2008 for the album/song.