2008 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Price, the No. 1 pick of the 2007 First-Year Player Draft, reached a 2-2 count against Francisco Cervelli, the first hitter he faced, before drilling him with pitch No. 5. The stylish left-hander then struck out the next three hitters he faced in order, topping out at 99 mph in the process.

Price opened eyes, like Don Zimmer's, who said after watching him pitch Saturday that he was "thrilled" to watch him strike out the side while hitting 99 mph with his fastball. In addition, Zimmer was impressed by the fact all of Price's pitches were down in the strike zone.

"To me, where are you going to see anything better the whole spring than that one inning?" Zimmer said. "I don't care if you're 17 years old or if you're 77 years old -- that was thrilling. Strike, strike, strike, strike, and low, and breaking balls. It's easy to say they didn't have their regular lineup in there. That, to me, has got nothing to do with it. It's where he was throwing it."

if shields, garza and kazmir are all on track the rays will no longer have pitching issues at all, im telling you this guy is gonna be an absolute stud....hes got a chance to a randy johnson type lefthander...hes got a better fastball than kazmir and more command...i saw a lot of games he and pedro alvarez played...and id take price over pedro (who could be the #1 pick this year) everyday of the week

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 09:59 AM)
No time to post the link, but Rocco's MLB career is possibly done with, and I worry about his long-term health.

Took less than a minute.

"I'll be starting the season on the disabled list," Baldelli said in a hastily prepared press conference before the game. "I have been to many different doctors to try and figure this out but no one has been able to come up with anything definitive yet. I want to get this done so I don't have to keep answering the same questions over and over."

The current diagnosis is a mitochondrial metabolic abnormality which, according to the Cleveland Clinic, amitochondrion (singular of mitochondria) is part of every cell in the body that contains genetic material. Mitochondria are responsible for processing oxygen and converting substances from the foods we eat into energy for essential cell functions. Mitochondria produce energy in the form of adenosine triphosphate (ATP), which is then transported to the cytoplasm of a cell for use in numerous cell functions.

How bout this one:

Kaz Matsui-2B- Astros Mar. 13 - 8:03 pm et

Kaz Matsui is hoping to return to action this weekend.

He's been out for a week with an anal fissure.

Source: Astros.mlb.com

Related: Felix Pie

QUOTE(Reddy @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 02:41 AM)
How bout this one:

Kaz Matsui-2B- Astros Mar. 13 - 8:03 pm et

Kaz Matsui is hoping to return to action this weekend.

He's been out for a week with an anal fissure.

Source: Astros.mlb.com

Related: Felix Pie

LOL, was that really the related story? Thats awesome

And I’ve got to get some real Chinese food. I love Chinese food back home, but I think it’s going to be way different in China. I remember the sushi in Japan was so different than American sushi. Those are the kinds of things I love about traveling. Some of the veteran players didn’t want to come, but I think this is one of the great things about being a Major League ballplayer, getting opportunities like this. If you’re not trying to make the team, it’s an honor to be part of this. And we’ll still have 10 days once we get back to get ready for Opening Day.

--Andrew Jones' insatiable appettite not quelled by Spring Training across the globe.

While talking to reporters Saturday, Rockies General manager Dan O'Dowd tried to make it clear he has no plans to trade infielder Clint Barmes. His name recently surfaced in rumors with the Angels and Orioles.

However, according to the Denver Post, O'Dowd's reaction was decidedly less definitive regarding the possibility of dealing reserve outfielder Cory Sullivan. Why? It's likely due to the torrid spring of Scott Podsednik, who on Saturday made a "full tilt, horizontal to the ground, fully extended" diving catch (this according to manager Clint Hurdle) to rob Rangers' DH Jason Botts of an hit.

This spring Podsednik leads the Rockies in steals, swiping six in seven attempts. He's also getting on base at a .529 clip. Can Pods make a return to his 2005 form and make the Rockies? One would think he'd at least help fill the speed void left by the departure of Kaz Matsu

And Pods magically comes to life again, now that he has landed a new home

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 16, 2008 -> 09:37 PM)
I remember Podsednik saying it was time for him to go. I'd guess because Ozzie would always talk about how unreliable he was.

Or it was because of how unreliable he was, as opposed to because Ozzie said it.

Pods is just one of those journeyman who makes a huge splash with his new team and fades when he is there too long, and moves on. Very similar to Kenny Lofton of the past 5 years

I just mean, I'd guess that Ozzie gave him a hard time sometimes and mocked him. He started to in the press -- "this kid, we can't count on him." It was strange when Podsednik said, "It's time for me to go find a new place," sort of, and I said, "Oh? You've got all you could want here -- pay for nothing, fans that love you at the ballpark," but maybe he was tired of Ozzie or Ozzie tired of him. I'm just speculating on what they've said, but I doubt Podsednik does anything next year. Playing in Coors should be some help, however.

Tough outing for my boy, Liriano. Reports I read after his last appearance suggested average fastball velocity hovering around 87-88. It may be awhile (if, at all) before he comes anywhere close to pre-surgery awesomeness.

If he's not throwing 97 mph with a 90 mph slider he'll be dead to me.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 05:01 PM)
So Colon got rocked today but he definitely had some zip on his fastball. He'll be interesting to keep an eye on.

He got crushed, but struck out 2 in 2/3 of an inning, touching 96. I heard he will start the season in the minors and can become a free agent if he's not recalled by May 2.

Colon looked good late last season when I saw him. I would be surprised if he doesn't have at least 10 serviceable starts in the majors and there is obviously a chance that he does that and than some (given his talent). Still, he's a major risk, but one I'd have gladly accepted given some of the question-marks in the Sox current rotation.