Carlos Quentin

joejoesox

After tonight's game, I had to start a thread about this kid and how well he's played so far this year. I was listening to the post-game and Rongey made a comment a few minutes ago about an at-bat CQ had earlier in the game (I wasn't home, wasn't able to see it myself) where Quentin recognized a pitch and changed his approach mid-swing and dumped the ball into left field. You never see guys do this in our lineup, this guy is going to be something special. Seriously special, he reached base 4 times tonight. He's not getting much mention locally or nationally really, beyond this board. He's going to surprise a lot of people. He's the kind of hitter IMO that, even when the book on him gets out, he's a very talented, intelligent baseball player and will make the necessary adjustments in order to have very many successful seasons, hopefully all in LF for the sox.

:notworthy

Edited by joesaiditstrue

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 26, 2008 -> 10:40 PM)
He was a top talent, and heralded prospect, he's playing the way he was predicted to play. IM happy AZ gave up on him. He could be a middle of the order hitter on this team for a long time.

I wouldn't say they gave up on him, he just got crowded out of a job.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 26, 2008 -> 10:57 PM)
I finally got to see a couple games and I also love Quentin's promise.

He looks like he has a clue at the plate. Kind of reminds me of Maggs or somebody like that.

you got it Greg, reminds me of Maggs as well. They both seem to adjust , pitch to pitch, but I think Quentin has more power than Maggs.

Would love to see him hit 3rd but you cant with this team as they have no one to protect him, unless it was Swisher.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Apr 26, 2008 -> 09:45 PM)
Imagine if the Dbacks had Quentin somewhere in the outfield on THAT team right now, not that they could really squeeze him in, though I'm not familiar with their other OF after Upton & Young

the third would be the Brynes

CQ is definitely my favorite player right now, has been since we made the trade. I liked him in AZ, and i wanted to see him and Fields in the lineup at the 6-7 spot. But not much we can do about it.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 26, 2008 -> 09:57 PM)
I wouldn't say they gave up on him, he just got crowded out of a job.

If the Dbacks werent giving up on him and knew he was going to be great I would think they would have got more for him.

Carlos Quintin was obtained in my opinion because of the positive results of the Chris Young deal for AZ.

10 years from now I feel we will believe that we fleeced the D'Backs in both deals as I feel we have won bothright now. I think Vazquez has more value than Chris Young and Quintin will have more than both of them while the fellow that was moved for Haren (via AZ), will be the next Jack Cust. IMHO

Carry on.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 26, 2008 -> 08:57 PM)
Kind of reminds me of Maggs or somebody like that.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 06:52 AM)
If the Dbacks werent giving up on him and knew he was going to be great I would think they would have got more for him.

If Quentin continues to develop at this pace, he'll be almost as big a steal as Maggs.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 07:42 PM)
No move Thome, Dye to DH and get a CF.

Now why would you ship out one of the most intimidating left handed hitters in the game when you don't have to?

I'd say the ideal situation is that Brian Anderson turns into a fantastic 4th outfielder for the Sox, puts up a .750 or so OPS until 2010 when he can take over in CF while Thome and Dye remain on the team.

on saturday when I was watching him I was so impressed. When he came up to the plate with two men on, i felt so confident, and he hits a double to deep left center. Man, he has some power. .435 OBP, gosh darn.