Sox close to signing 2 pitchers??

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 07:05 PM)
Lyon would make our bullpen nasty. I'd take him in a second.

Pedro, eh. If it is an incentive type deal, cool. If we don't sign him, no biggie to me.

Nasty in what way? I could probably see him as set up guy for Jenks, but Bobby is the best closer hands down.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 07:56 PM)
Pedro? I'd pass. Would be nice to occasionally get a big name guy at least remotely close to his prime and not 5 years afterward.

As far as passing on Pedro I tend to agree. Unless there is something we don't know I would just be really worried about the arm injury thing. There are still options out there on the FA market like Garland and Oliver Perez. Perez seesm to have a reputation like JV does, but he is younger and a lefty. Lots of talent though no matter

I'd love to see KW sneek under the radar and add Ben Sheets.

I think the current market depression and concerns about his health could cause some teams to back off... and could make acquiring him realistic.

There are some rumors dangling out there about Cleveland taking a run at him...

I can't help thinking "why not us?"

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 11:32 AM)
If Pedro is reasonable money I would have no problem with it. The Sox are a big payroll team that shed some payroll, they are in the position to roll the dice with someone like Pedro or an Andruw Jones

f*** Andruw Jones hes garbage. Only thing hes got left is his glove.

Can't hit worth a damn and Walker won't do anything different that will fix his swing.

Pedro I don't mind, if hes healthy hes a good pitcher, for some reason if he signs it would remind me of when we got Colon.

I'd love to see KW sneek under the radar and add Ben Sheets.

I think the current market depression and concerns about his health could cause some teams to back off... and could make acquiring him realistic.

There are some rumors dangling out there about Cleveland taking a run at him...

I can't help thinking "why not us?"

Because of his injuries, Ben Sheets is a drain on a team ... Not worth the payoff

QUOTE (StatManDu @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 02:19 PM)
Because of his injuries, Ben Sheets is a drain on a team ... Not worth the payoff

He threw 148 innings in 2007 and 198 innings (31 starts) in 2008.

Where's the drain?

The only risk is if you're depending on him to be the ace like Milwaukee was.

As your #3 or 4 guy in a rotation I'd take him yesterday. I'll volunteer to drive up to Milwaukee and get him. This afternoon if necessary.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (StatManDu @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 02:19 PM)

Sheets has thrown 140 innings every year in his career but one...if it's a short-term deal, I'd have no problem with Ben Sheets in the rotation. He won't stay healthy, but he'll stay very solid and give you some damn good innings and 10-14 wins.

Herm Schneider could help Pedro, and I really like the idea of giving him a shot with a depressed contract plus a lot of incentives. Lyon could compete for closer it KW has a plan to trade Jenks. Otherwise, another quality reliever never hurts.

There is a mystery team in the mix for Lowe. I didn't mention it here because I realize like the rest of Soxtalk that he will be expensive and KW SAYS he is reducing payroll not to mention Boras. However, on Hot Stove on MLB Fri or Sat mentioned a mystery team for Lowe. The analyst speculated that the Brewers were that team. The Sox could be a mystery team since KW is under the radar or it could be a Boras ploy. KW would value Lowe's sinker.

What if the Sox do spend some money and the cry poor stuff was KW's way of staying out of rumors. Garland and Sheets are still available. It would give KW the flexibility to trade a pitcher or put the Marquez/CR/AP guys in the 6th starter roll or in the pen.

Danks

MB

Floyd

Pedro/JC

Lowe/Garland/Sheets/Bailey?

Marquez/CR/AP

Actually this wouldn't be bad nor would it be good. But I will say it is better than what we got now! Pedro still has something to prove to baseball that he can pitch. I think coming here with no New York/Boston pressure will help him. I would be excited about Lyon because he really only had that bad 2nd half. Other than that has been very effective. We still need a leadoff hitter Kenny!

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 02:47 PM)
Herm Schneider could help Pedro, and I really like the idea of giving him a shot with a depressed contract plus a lot of incentives. Lyon could compete for closer it KW has a plan to trade Jenks. Otherwise, another quality reliever never hurts.

There is a mystery team in the mix for Lowe. I didn't mention it here because I realize like the rest of Soxtalk that he will be expensive and KW SAYS he is reducing payroll not to mention Boras. However, on Hot Stove on MLB Fri or Sat mentioned a mystery team for Lowe. The analyst speculated that the Brewers were that team. The Sox could be a mystery team since KW is under the radar or it could be a Boras ploy. KW would value Lowe's sinker.

What if the Sox do spend some money and the cry poor stuff was KW's way of staying out of rumors. Garland and Sheets are still available. It would give KW the flexibility to trade a pitcher or put the Marquez/CR/AP guys in the 6th starter roll or in the pen.

Danks

MB

Floyd

Pedro/JC

Lowe/Garland/Sheets/Bailey?

Marquez/CR/AP

I hope it's not just crap.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 02:47 PM)
There is a mystery team in the mix for Lowe.

There's alot of that going around... doesn't it seem?

I think that's become an agent's tool to try and keep teams guessing about who's offering what.

Much easier to drive up offers when there's a supposed 'mystery team' out there who might want in on a player.

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 04:12 PM)
If we pickup Lyon I'd have to think KW is doing it to add depth and possibly make Jenks expendable.

What's so appealing about a reliever with a career 4.46 ERA with a career WHIP of 1.42? Its at least even odds if given the same opportunity Adam Russell is more effective going forward at a fraction of the cost.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 03:17 PM)
I still think Jon Garland would be the perfect pick up for this team but maybe that's just me.

i agree completely. why 'hope' a guy like Pedro has a comeback player of the year type season when you pretty much what your going to get from Garland- a solid 4th starter who eats a lot of innings.. something our rotation desperately needs. Sheets, although a better pitcher, will probably make double of what Garland will make. Not to mention will likely spend his typical 15-30 days on the DL. Pedro is an interesting name and as a 5th starter he can be effective, but i wouldnt expect more than 10 wins out of the guy.

I would love if KW signed Garland at 3 years 21 million with incentives. Signed Pedro to a 1 year deal with a club option for a 2nd year.

Buerhle, Floyd, Danks, Garland, Pedro/Poreda/Richard/Marquez/Contreras. Doesnt hurt to have SP depth!

KW tried to trade Garland multiple times and then finally did, and Garland went on to have a pretty poor season. Why would KW bring him back on a multi-year deal? It seems to me that KW had or still has concerns about Jon's shoulder. I'd have no problem with Garland, it just seems as though he wouldn't be in the teams plans and that he'd be better suited on an NL club anyways.

i agree completely. why 'hope' a guy like Pedro has a comeback player of the year type season when you pretty much what your going to get from Garland- a solid 4th starter who eats a lot of innings.. something our rotation desperately needs. Sheets, although a better pitcher, will probably make double of what Garland will make. Not to mention will likely spend his typical 15-30 days on the DL. Pedro is an interesting name and as a 5th starter he can be effective, but i wouldnt expect more than 10 wins out of the guy.

I would love if KW signed Garland at 3 years 21 million with incentives. Signed Pedro to a 1 year deal with a club option for a 2nd year.

Do you really think Garland would take 3 for 21 after making 12million in 2008?

I'd be willing to bet someone offers Garland 3 years - $36M.

And I can't see him getting less than $10M per year.

I'm not suggesting that he's worth $12M per year, or that we should pay that.

But I think somewhere along the line before the season starts some pitching hungry team will pony up the money.

He's healthy. He's still relatively young. He doesn't walk alot of people. He's had success in the relatively recent past. He's had successful playoff experience.

Yeah... somebody will pony up.

And I doubt it will be us.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 03:51 PM)
I'd be willing to bet someone offers Garland 3 years - $36M.

And I can't see him getting less than $10M per year.

I'm not suggesting that he's worth $12M per year, or that we should pay that.

But I think somewhere along the line before the season starts some pitching hungry team will pony up the money.

Considering Lowe has a top offer of 3-36 I dont think Garland, who is not close to the pitcher Lowe is, will get anywhere close to 12. I bet he signs for around 7-9 per.