AGon discussion, et. al.

Chisoxfn

B&B seemed more fair to soxnet than i thought they'd be, seeing as how Cowley is their guy. Boers in particular has indicated in the past that he detests message boards (though much like Bob Dole not having seen Trainspotting, I would think he's attacking something he's never experienced).

If anyone DOES wanna get back to the trade talk...perhaps look at this old article about what was netted for Sabathia. http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/...sabathia-trade/ I'm kind of curious what people think about the haul Cleveland got for a guy who was a rental (plus moved at the deadline). How does that package compare to what we'd need to give up for AGon?

ndians Receive:

Matt Laporta- $23.5 million

Rob Bryson- $5 million

Taylor Green- $7 million

Zack Jackson- $1 million

Total- $36.5 million

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 10:41 PM)
B&B seemed more fair to soxnet than i thought they'd be, seeing as how Cowley is their guy. Boers in particular has indicated in the past that he detests message boards (though much like Bob Dole not having seen Trainspotting, I would think he's attacking something he's never experienced).

If anyone DOES wanna get back to the trade talk...perhaps look at this old article about what was netted for Sabathia. http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/...sabathia-trade/ I'm kind of curious what people think about the haul Cleveland got for a guy who was a rental (plus moved at the deadline). How does that package compare to what we'd need to give up for AGon?

ndians Receive:

Matt Laporta- $23.5 million

Rob Bryson- $5 million

Taylor Green- $7 million

Zack Jackson- $1 million

Total- $36.5 million

What are the dollar amounts? Frangraph's values?

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 05:27 PM)
My response...

I get to see the White Sox future players before you ever do, keep that in mind. I know more about them now than you'll know in 3 or 4 years. I spent the entire season answering question after question from people about Gordon Beckham, Tyler Flowers, Aaron Poreda, Dayan Viciedo, Clevelan Santeliz and C.J. Retherford. I know Jason Gage, so I have every right to stick up for him. He's not "getting out of his lane." I know it's difficult to do your job nowadays because you're usually the last person to find out something, but that doesn't give you the right to demean or patronize anybody. Stop worrying about who knows what first, it's not a pissing contest. You reporters are so full of yourselves, it's sad. I thought Jay Hineybird was bad, but you're worse. Other people who aren't in your dying industry have sources, face facts. Get off your high horse and stop being such a smug know it all snob. You're a dinosaur and you're close to being extinct. Nobody wants your job, they don't want to be unemployed and s**t out of luck in 5 years.

Cheers,

JPN

You guys are great. Keep on doing what you're doing. I get much more valid and timely information about White Sox related things from this site than I do from any newspaper or sportsblab radio hosts.

Thanks to all of you who make this such an informative source on baseball.

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 02:48 PM)
Over the last 24 hours, the Score has been reporting this trade rumor on its regular updates, what does that say?

And what does it say that a bunch of Sox fans who cover the team AS A HOBBY scoop Cowley on stories?

What is the Score phone number and how long does there show go till. I'd be happy to set something up and talk briefly about our site, etc.

In no way shape or form am I claiming to know more than the beat writers do. They have far more access to news and info but there are times that they might not know something that someone else does. Everything is unique.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 06:12 PM)
What is the Score phone number and how long does there show go till. I'd be happy to set something up and talk briefly about our site, etc.

In no way shape or form am I claiming to know more than the beat writers do. They have far more access to news and info but there are times that they might not know something that someone else does. Everything is unique.

(312) 644-6767

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 06:31 PM)
Did Joe Cowley seriously try to say he has some higher level training that we dont have? I would bet way over 50% of the people on this site have a better education than Mr Cowley.

As if it takes much of an education to "tweet" anyways....

Over the course of the last year, the ability to break a story by "tweeting" it has become the measure of a beat writer such as Cowley covering baseball...

What a pretentious, obnoxious punk.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 05:37 PM)
As if it takes much of an education to "tweet" anyways....

Over the course of the last year, the ability to break a story by "tweeting" it has become the measure of a beat writer such as Cowley covering baseball...

What a pretentious, obnoxious punk.

Seriously it would be interesting to see a collection of all the s*** emails he sends out to people in response to criticism. I know I have about 10 poorly written attempts at insults saved.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 04:38 PM)
Then maybe somebody that writes for Sox Net should call B&B and educate them.

DO NOT try to "educate" Dan Berstein on ANYTHING. He is a pompous, Duke educated know it all and likes to belittle and talk down to anyone who disagrees with him. Terry Boers is funny. Dan Berstein is a jerk.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 05:51 PM)
DO NOT try to "educate" Dan Berstein on ANYTHING. He is a pompous, Duke educated know it all and likes to belittle and talk down to anyone who disagrees with him. Terry Boers is funny. Dan Berstein is a jerk.

I've never found sportstalk-radio-host a position where you need someone noble. I wouldnt want to hang out with this guy, but more often than not he knows his stuff. Especially for NBA, you cant go many other places for knowledgeable discussion.

While sportstalk radio is very often a locomotive off the rails, I will take that over the neatly varnished Comcast Sportsnite-type discussions.

Frankly, I think B&B get the ratings they do because a lot of people like to hear callers challenge them. Their confrontations are pretty entertaining, even if (as we all know) the hosts control the medium.

This may seem like a basic point, but B&B take a position and make it really clear how strong they feel about it. Oddly enough many hosts dont do this.

I think that's why they get listeners who dont even like them. Because there's something to take in and think about when they discuss a topic.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 11:56 PM)
As a journalism major from a top 3 program, I can assure you there was nothing I learned that I couldn't have after one week on the job.

And sports journalism, hoo man, they are just a joke.

But, they get paid good money for doing something fun. I want to be a Sports Journalist too :lol:

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 05:59 PM)
But, they get paid good money for doing something fun. I want to be a Sports Journalist too :lol:

I think that would be a pretty fun job... and by the look of some of these guys you don't even have to know what you are talking about to do this job either....

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 05:55 PM)
I've never found sportstalk-radio-host a position where you need someone noble. I wouldnt want to hang out with this guy, but more often than not he knows his stuff. Especially for NBA, you cant go many other places for knowledgeable discussion.

While sportstalk radio is very often a locomotive off the rails, I will take that over the neatly varnished Comcast Sportsnite-type discussions.

Frankly, I think B&B get the ratings they do because a lot of people like to hear callers challenge them. Their confrontations are pretty entertaining, even if (as we all know) the hosts control the medium.

This may seem like a basic point, but B&B take a position and make it really clear how strong they feel about it. Oddly enough many hosts dont do this.

I think that's why they get listeners who dont even like them. Because there's something to take in and think about when they discuss a topic.

Okay there's nothing wrong with making it really clear how strong you feel about a point, but there's no need to demean callers/fans of the show just because they disagree with you.

Journalism was my initial interest back when I started college. In the end, though, I think I need sports to be my get away. Once it is what I do for a living I would imagine it would get tedious. Also right now I have a friend right now traveling the country producing women's soccer for TV. I wouldnt want to put up with maybe years of doing not-ideal stuff.

But then again my current job, known as no job, also sucks

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 07:25 PM)
Generally I hate the tendency of baseball fans to nickname players "first initial, first 3 letters of last name"

This all began because of the prominence of latin players with the same 2 or 3 surnames. It's simply a way of identifying a player more quickly.