Nationals make offer to Dye; Dye declines

RyanPaleAndHosed

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 01:15 AM)
I wonder what the chances are that once Kenny realizes he can not get A-Gon, that he will throw some money at Jermaine (assuming he does not have a team).

50-60%

If Dye doesn't take this deal, he's pretty stupid.

Him getting $4 million at this time is a lot of money for a guy of his caliber.

If he doesn't though, good for us, we have a viable insurance option.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 01:15 AM)
I wonder what the chances are that once Kenny realizes he can not get A-Gon, that he will throw some money at Jermaine (assuming he does not have a team).

1. KW already says he'd prefer a LH big bat, not to mention that is what we lack.

2. Ozzie would probably make alot of posters here (including myself) hate Dye.

3. Dye would not accept even a DH role, as he already said. (even a part time one, he wants to be in the OF, and even went to say he'd even play 1B as long as he's on the field.)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 01:32 AM)
1. KW already says he'd prefer a LH big bat, not to mention that is what we lack.

2. Ozzie would probably make alot of posters here (including myself) hate Dye.

3. Dye would not except even a DH role, as he already said. (even a part time one, he wants to be in the OF, and even went to say he'd even play 1B as long as he's on the field.)

1) Prefer yes, but once Adrian is out of the question, Dye may be the best available bat.

2) Umm...ok.

3) Accept* and I think come July, when he still does not have any deals, he will settle for a DH role, and maybe being that he is familar w/ us, he will be even more willing.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 01:42 AM)
1) Prefer yes, but once Adrian is out of the question, Dye may be the best available bat.

2) Umm...ok.

3) Accept* and I think come July, when he still does not have any deals, he will settle for a DH role, and maybe being that he is familar w/ us, he will be even more willing.

I still like Berkman as a bat KW looks at if all goes well for us. (whose to say only Adrian would be the only LH bat/best available come the deadline) Astros are gonna be very bad (not 0-6 bad as they are, but won't be very good) not to mention Dye has already turned down deals for two clubs who will be much better than the Nats. We'll see come July if your "opinion" happens. And if you don't know what I'm talking about with the second one, then you'll learn quick on this site if it happens kid. Thanks for the correction BTW.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 04:52 AM)
With the Astros now at 0-7 and McLane rumored to be selling the club, it would be no surprise if Berkman was dealt.

The only question then would be what we might be willing to give up (if anything) and the ongoing question of payroll flexibility.

I'd sure pick up the phone and ask what they wanted.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 09:06 AM)
I'd sure pick up the phone and ask what they wanted.

I'm sure that's already happened. And based on my evaluation of the Astros front office...I'm pretty sure the response involved how many more people could be put on the island of Guam before it starts to sink

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 02:54 AM)
I still like Berkman as a bat KW looks at if all goes well for us. (whose to say only Adrian would be the only LH bat/best available come the deadline) Astros are gonna be very bad (not 0-6 bad as they are, but won't be very good) not to mention Dye has already turned down deals for two clubs who will be much better than the Nats. We'll see come July if your "opinion" happens. And if you don't know what I'm talking about with the second one, then you'll learn quick on this site if it happens kid. Thanks for the correction BTW.

That's a good point, I would LOVE to have Berkman. Wonder what the 'Stros would ask for in return.

Hey Orlando...you're black, and you have a job.

Couldn't be cause JD is older and his production has dropped off in both defense and offense and he refusing to admit he's just a DH now...couldn't be that right?

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)
Hey Orlando...you're black, and you have a job.

Couldn't be cause JD is older and his production has dropped off in both defense and offense and he refusing to admit he's just a DH now...couldn't be that right?

That's just crazy talk.

Guys, Sheffield doesn't have a job either, and he's a first ballot Hall of Famer. Everyone is racist.

Orlando, please shut the heck up.

Plus, isn't Sheffield himself kind of racist?

Found it, now I remember why I didn't like Sheffield.

“What I said is that you’re going to see more black faces, but there ain’t no English going to be coming out. ... (It’s about) being able to tell (Latin players) what to do — being able to control them,” he told the magazine. “Where I’m from, you can’t control us.” He went on to elaborate, "They have more to lose than we do. You can send them back across the island. You can’t send us back. We’re already here.”

During an July 2007 interview with HBO's Real Sports, Sheffield said that Yankees manager Joe Torre treated black players differently than white players during his time there. He also said that he thought that biracial Yankees player Derek Jeter wasn't "all the way black.