Cylander vs. G-Money

Quin

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 09:02 PM)
The irony as well, both Martinez and Cabrera are Venezuelan.

And yet Ozzie seemingly never wanted Martinez.

Sure, we already had AJ, but by this point in his career, nobody was looking at Victor as more than a back-up/emergency catcher.

I pasted a link on another thread, before the Sox signed Dunn they supposedly offered Martinez $48 million for 3 years. He took Detroit's 4 year offer for a couple million more.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 08:09 PM)
I pasted a link on another thread, before the Sox signed Dunn they supposedly offered Martinez $48 million for 3 years. He took Detroit's 4 year offer for a couple million more.

Lost out on Damon, Cabrera and Martinez because of a dearth of prospects and/or the willpower to get a deal done.

You wonder how serious they were about Victor, or if it was one of their "token" offerings like to Rowand or Torii Hunter in which they had a 90-95% certainty they'd come up short but still gets brownie points for trying?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 09:15 PM)
Lost out on Damon, Cabrera and Martinez because of a dearth of prospects and/or the willpower to get a deal done.

You wonder how serious they were about Victor, or if it was one of their "token" offerings like to Rowand or Torii Hunter in which they had a 90-95% certainty they'd come up short but still gets brownie points for trying?

The report said the Sox offered 3 years $48 million and Detroit signed him for 4 years $50 million. If it was a token offer, and the report was accurate, they were playing with fire.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 08:07 PM)
Floyd with another Peavyesque performance. Looks like its going to be good for 5 innings, then the roof caves in.

It's a crapshoot to figure out who to trade, Floyd or Danks, and which one has the most value at this point.

I guess Cooper would have a lot better feel than anyone.

By the way, was there ever any "falling out" between Hudson and Cooper or "miscommunication/lack of communication"?

You just wonder about how someone with such a great eye for talent would give up on the guy after just 3 starts? Did he have a bad reputation in the minor league system for not working well with the coaches?

Gio Gonzalez, that one was on KW...but the Hudson deal is mystifying. How much of it was Cooper thinking he could max out Jackson's potential versus uncertainty out of what they could get out of Hudson in Chicago in the heat of a pennant race against an offense like Minnesota's in 2010.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 08:16 PM)
The report said the Sox offered 3 years $48 million and Detroit signed him for 4 years $50 million. If it was a token offer, and the report was accurate, they were playing with fire.

That can't be true, or he would have taken the White Sox deal if he really wanted to play for Ozzie.

Rational/logical decision-making would say that he could get well oer $2 million+ in 2014 for his services.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 09:20 PM)
That can't be true, or he would have taken the White Sox deal if he really wanted to play for Ozzie.

Rational/logical decision-making would say that he could get well oer $2 million+ in 2014 for his services.

Maybe there was deferred money or something like that, or maybe he didn't want to play for Ozzie. Funny thing is if the Sox gave Martinez what they gave Dunn, Dunn probably winds up a Tiger.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 09:23 PM)
Maybe there was deferred money or something like that, or maybe he didn't want to play for Ozzie. Funny thing is if the Sox gave Martinez what they gave Dunn, Dunn probably winds up a Tiger.

It didn't happen like that. The report out of Venezuela was wrong.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 02:41 AM)
Why would they stay there? Ozzie is the manager.

I hope you are not one of those who think Ozzie is the only problem child on this horrible baseball team and franchise which appears to have not much talent in the minor league system. It's too easy to just blame Ozzeroo.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 09:50 PM)
I hope you are not one of those who think Ozzie is the only problem child on this horrible baseball team and franchise which appears to have not much talent in the minor league system. It's too easy to just blame Ozzeroo.

He's not the problem he's the solution. This team is losing despite having perhaps the greatest manager in the game. Loria is going to go broke buying WS championship rings when he brings in Ozzie. Ozzie's greatness is not questioned, I just wonder how you can think a team can finish below .500 with Ozzie at the helm? It doesn't seem possible to me. Ozzie is too good.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 09:49 PM)
At some point it appears he just kind of said "f*** it, the season is over, I'm going to start turning it loose," which for him has turned into a huge positive.

He told Greg Walker to eat s*** probably.