White Sox Manager Search Thread

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mean to flame, but why would a hot prospect like Martinez pick Chicago when he's got KW as GM and Dunn/Rios/Peavy problem hamering the ability to acquire guys who can uh, play the game?

Why wouldn't good managers wait for a better situation?

Sox job isn't really attractive with KW supplying the players IMO.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 10:28 PM)
I don't mean to flame, but why would a hot prospect like Martinez pick Chicago when he's got KW as GM and Dunn/Rios/Peavy problem hamering the ability to acquire guys who can uh, play the game?

There are 30 of those jobs available total in the world. They pay a million dollar salary. 25 will probably stay filled. Out of the teams with high payrolls, you get to choose...Lackey and Crawford's awful contracts, Soriano and Zambrano's awful contracts, or Dunn/Rios.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 07:28 PM)

Id say that it wouldn't be a bad job for a couple of reasons,

1. It's a team with great history and is in a big market

2. The team isn't afraid to spend some money to try to compete (Im not saying that you have to spend money to compete but its nice that the owner is willing to open up the pocket book as opposed to the A's, Marlins, et al..)

3. If you become one of Jerry's "guys" he is loyal to the ends of the earth, it is really nice to know that the boss has your back at all times. For those of you who have worked for a s***ty boss who'll throw you under the bus at any moment you can understand why this is a really nice thing.

I'm not saying that the Sox are a great landing spot or anything but just playing devil's advocate, those are the reasons that I personally would want to coach the chi sox

Oh, and let's not act like great situations open up that often. Usually managers depart once they're fired, which means they had a bad season with disappointments and usually clubhouse issues. Waiting for a dream job means you'll wait forever.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 09:46 PM)
You don't really hear Martinez connection with the Red Sox job, maybe he isn't THAT HOT of a commodity.

If rumors are true that they are deciding the fate of Epstein, then it makes complete sense that they aren't going after anybody yet.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 11:29 PM)
Marty does sound like Cowley, based on the e-mails I've gotten in response to something I wrote to him. E-mails that consist of me calling him a lot of unpleasant things.

I remember reading some of those.

Good times, good times.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 02:36 AM)
Can someone explain this Dave Martinez love to me please? Who is he? Why do so many people want him? I clicked a link from MLBTR, and it looks like he is a 31-year-old guy who couldn't cut it as a player. Did they link the wrong person? I'm drunk and confused.
He played from 86-01. Played from 95-97 with the Sox, where he had the best years of his career. Excellent outfielder, hit for average, got on base a ton. Little power.

Chuck Garfien

Hearing of a surprise candidate on Kenny Williams short list for White Sox manager. (@thekapman also reporting this)

Chuck Garfien

Don't know who the surprise candidate is. @thekapman guesses Tony Pena. Here's mine: Carlton Fisk.

2 hours ago

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 11:22 AM)
I want Carlton Fisk! Tough and knowledgable about the game since the catcher directs it and he knows pitchers

s***, if they're going to do something crazy like that, I'd rather have AJ. Has Fisk ever coached anywhere at any level? Has he ever expressed interest in being a coach or manager?

Seriously, the Sox better get a guy with some experience who appears ready to take over as a major league manager, not someone who needs on the job training.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 11:16 AM)
Chuck Garfien

Hearing of a surprise candidate on Kenny Williams short list for White Sox manager. (@thekapman also reporting this)

Chuck Garfien

Don't know who the surprise candidate is. @thekapman guesses Tony Pena. Here's mine: Carlton Fisk.

2 hours ago

If it's a "surprise" I'd rather be surprised by Joe Torre or a Bob Brenly than a Tony Pena or a Carlton Fisk.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 11:16 AM)
Chuck Garfien

Chuck Garfien

2 hours ago

Kinda hard for Pena to be a surprise candidate when Rosenthal already reported the Sox's interest in him and Fisk would be a disaster; the last thing this team needs is a grump old man with ZERO experience running the show.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 11:58 AM)
Kinda hard for Pena to be a surprise candidate when Rosenthal already reported the Sox's interest in him and Fisk would be a disaster; the last thing this team needs is a grump old man with ZERO experience running the show.

You hear Fisk's name brought up every time there is a managerial opening for the Sox and I don't understand why. Has to be just wishful thinking, right? He'd be a disaster.

QUOTE (almagest @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 04:21 AM)
He played from 86-01. Played from 95-97 with the Sox, where he had the best years of his career. Excellent outfielder, hit for average, got on base a ton. Little power.

Ok, so then they clearly linked to the wrong person.....

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/p...id=martin010dav

But that still doesn't tell me why he is so qualified to be our manager. Do people just hope because he is Maddon's bench coach that he will have learned how to manage??

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 12:18 PM)
Ok, so then they clearly linked to the wrong person.....

Do people just hope because he is Maddon's bench coach that he will have learned how to manage??

Maybe and that's a perfectly good enough reason to want him as manager.

Heyman makes it sound as if LaRussa is their first choice:

Jon Heyman

if TLR wants to stay in stl, I still don't see #chisox for francona. Dave martinez among young guys on chi radar

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 11:58 AM)

Then no one would ever receive a promotion. I'm not certain Fisk would be a disaster coming on the heels of Oz. I also think there are better candidates than Fisk.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 01:18 PM)
But that still doesn't tell me why he is so qualified to be our manager. Do people just hope because he is Maddon's bench coach that he will have learned how to manage??

Usually, the idea that a bench coach is "next in line" for manager is a standard conclusion by most teams. It's why Joey Cora's probably had a half dozen interviews over the past 5 years for managerial spots.