Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager

Steve9347

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 02:17 PM)
Just so you know, Joe Torre was a manager with 0 experience (he actually was player manager, than manager, never coached at a lower level).

Some guy named Connie Mack never was anything less than a manager.

Ted Williams, Frank Robinson...

i've been lurking on this board for the past couple season now and i figured it's time to start posting after this announcement today.

first, let me say that i am SHOCKED by this move! i assume everyone else is too!

BUT i am going to wait to pass judgement on Robin until he actually gets to manage a game.

let's not throw in the towel on the 2012 season just yet!

:gosox3:

Well, considering how he started out his career, he may know a thing or two about slumps to help some of the players... that's all I got...

I'll just have to wait and see how he does, but initial reaction is ????

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:07 PM)
There's no way this will "Get the attention of the ignorant masses of fans".

Unless you mean because they realize that the people paying attention are shockingly pissed off.

I already see it on my Facebook page. Statuses popping up about how awesome a signing it is. At best at this point, it's almost a lateral move. Nobody has a f***ing clue how this guy is at managing, but since everyone remembers him as a good player, they're excited.

Well Robin as a player was the antithesis of Ozzie, so unless he drastically changes who he is, you have to expect he will coach the same way as he plays.

In fact, how do you know how Dave Martinez would coach, hes never managed before.

Of all sports, baseball is the one where the manager needs the least amount of experience. Its such a simple sport to manage.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 03:48 PM)
I love, love, love me some Robin Ventura, but talk about coming out of left field... er, third base.

if you're a fan of this, you don't know s***, and i'm being as honest as i can be.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:14 PM)
What makes me angry about it is that he didn't have to put in the time. There are a half dozen other guys who have put in the time and effort to show me that they care about the game, that they've learned how to be a manager, that they're 100% committed to climbing the ladder the right way.

Robin Ventura has absolutely not done that. And it pisses me off that the job is his without even a hint of time spent proving himself.

And I really couldn't care less about any of that. If he can manage then he can manage, I don't know if he can but I'm going to wait before I get pissed off about it. Robin is clearly an intelligent baseball person but that doesn't mean he's going to be a good manager but it certainly doesn't mean he's going to be a bad one either. I do agree that this is a very White Soxish(ya I'm making s*** up) hire but there's no reason to completely overreact about it at this point.

Ray Durham should be named bench coach (take over Cora's role).

Black Jack can be the bullpen coach.

Harold first base coach.

Frank is the hitting coach.

Name Valentin the 3rd base coach.

It's a big 90's reunion with Ozzie not invited.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 10:15 PM)
Where in his extensive catalogue of managerial experience and decision making are you coming to this conclusion from?

What managerial experience does he need? If he has half a brain and doesn't make decisions on gut or player favoritism, he'll probably be better than half the managers in the league.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:20 PM)
And I'll say, I really like Robin. I just have zero idea what his qualifications are from a manager perspective and how much he's been involved in the game, etc, since he retired.

his qualifications? you know his f***ing qualifications, don't sugar coat what you "know" to make the move seem less volatile, it's a s***ty move, let's be f***ing honest here and cut the bulls***