Sergio Santos traded to Toronto

Steve9347

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 01:50 PM)
Wonder if Jon Danks is friends with John Garland. Anyways, nobody in the world thought highly of Jeff Marquez at the time we acquired him.

Some people were, Marquez was a 1st rd pick of the Yankees. I'm just saying I think we could've gotten more and some of this talk of Molina as a future All-Star is a bit nuts right now. Kid has only pitched a few games in AA.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this move.

If his team still thinks it will contend, Sale will be the closer.

If this team does not think it will contend, Sale will be the starter.

I do not believe anything KW ever says.....EVER

I would not be shocked to see Nestor dealt with Quentin in a bigger deal.

Santos was a nice story but he was by no means elite...Sale was much more impressive than him.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)
I don't care why he has a vendetta against the Sox but he certainly does...

So I see you have not disproven anything. Here, I'll add more for you to dodge and not respond to.

-He loved the Beckham draft pick

Seriously, explain to me why a NATIONAL BASEBALL WRITER would put a personal vendetta over his or her job? If you don't like the truth, fine. But don't make things up because you don't.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)
Santos was a nice story but he was by no means elite...Sale was much more impressive than him.

He has elite stuff, hasn't had elite results yet but certainly can get there. Still, if we are actually rebuilding(and actually hearing KW use that word makes me feel better that we are) makes keeping Santos pretty much useless.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)
Some people were, Marquez was a 1st rd pick of the Yankees. I'm just saying I think we could've gotten more and some of this talk of Molina as a future All-Star is a bit nuts right now. Kid has only pitched a few games in AA.

Missing the point. Swisher was a "please take him off our hands trade", the return didn't matter.

Quit crying about trading a 30/36 closer. What do you people want? You complain about having no farm system and then complain when he tries to build up the farm system.

You guys sound like Joe Morgan with your 'proven closer' garbage. The Rays build a dominant bullpen from scraps EVERY year. We have Addison Reed ready to take on the late inning role next year or the year after at the latest.

Also, it is NOT a good market for closers. Papelbon and Bell went to the only two teams willing to spend big money on a closer. Only the Red Sox remain, and Gammons says they dont have much to spend because they want Ortiz back and to avoid the luxury tax. Now, look at the list of closers that are still available for NO PLAYERS on the free agent market. There are 5 or 6 "proven closers" that can be had there, plus it's widely rumored that Bailey and Street are being shopped like crazy. Santos was like the 9th best option for closer available for maybe 3 teams that are still looking.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:54 PM)
Addison Reed would be my inclination. 108 minor league innings with 155 k's 1.41 ERA .74 WHIP

Agree. I would hope they learned from last year too not put players (Thornton) in positions that they haven't been in. Ideally, Reed claims the job in spring training.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)

Marquez was viewed as a throw in by pretty much everyone, a guy that KW thought might be able to turn into a Garland, but his arm was never there. Danks was viewed as a top prospect in all of baseball, and Molina is getting that attention now.

It's like thinking Daniel McCutchen was a top prospect because he was a first round pick, asinine.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:54 PM)
So I see you have not disproven anything. Here, I'll add more for you to dodge and not respond to.

-He loved the Beckham draft pick

Seriously, explain to me why a NATIONAL BASEBALL WRITER would put a personal vendetta over his or her job? If you don't like the truth, fine. But don't make things up because you don't.

Um Dodge what? It's been proven time and time again on here that Law is a f***in tool when it comes to the Sox, I have no f***in clue why and I don't care but he certainly has some kind of vendetta against them, no doubt.

I am amazed (but not really) at the stupidity of this fan base. We have an inability to think logically about something. Instead, we overreact with the first thought that comes to our head.

What's the LAST thing a rebuilding team needs? A closer. What's the first thing a rebuilding team needs? Pitching prospects.

I feel sorry for KW because it is impossible to win with these fans. He guys and buys, and we b**** about not having a system. He sells and builds the system, and we b**** about moving our MLB pieces.

PICK ONE!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 01:56 PM)
Axelrod IMO should contend for a rotation spot next season. I REALLY like his stuff.

No argument with this.

We could have really built around a rotation of Sale, Hudson, Gio and Axelrod. (not to beat the dead horses anymore).

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:58 PM)
No argument with this.

We could have really built around a rotation of Sale, Hudson, Gio and Axelrod. (not to beat the dead horses anymore).

Which is why trading for young starting pitchers is a good idea, even if it means giving up a young closer.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:57 PM)
I am amazed (but not really) at the stupidity of this fan base. We have an inability to think logically about something. Instead, we overreact with the first thought that comes to our head.

What's the LAST thing a rebuilding team needs? A closer. What's the first thing a rebuilding team needs? Pitching prospects.

Exactly why I love this trade. But for some of these people giving Kenny just an ounce of credit would make their hearts explode.

I love the people getting all hot and bothered over losing a closer. Remember the large fat guy who threw 100 and was untouchable. A few years later everyone wanted him run out of town. Only a few closers have long shelf lives.

And for all of those who base their opinion on Keith Law and his ramblings. LMAO

So put down your XBOXs and stop cursing Kenny because he didn't realize that the Dunn + Rios for Montero and others wasn't going to happen. You need to trade value to get something of value. Remember your outrage when the next chip falls. This is what a rebuild looks like.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:57 PM)

A few more moves of this caliber, and KW will have had a successful winter meetings.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:56 PM)
Um Dodge what? It's been proven time and time again on here that Law is a f***in tool when it comes to the Sox, I have no f***in clue why and I don't care but he certainly has some kind of vendetta against them, no doubt.

You still have not proved it. Your proof is "I know it's true." Therefore, you dodged my question.

So I ask again, where is your proof of KLaw's anti chisox bias? What was he wrong/biased about that wasn't true?