The Miami Marlins thread

Buehrle>Wood

kid from the marlins board says...

We Cubans should be more upset with our fellow Cubans who have supported the current regime in some way or other during the last 50 years. Ozzie was just being his typical idiot self. One day we will have to forgive many of our fellow Cubans. Just look at ball players like Chapman, Contreras, Cespedes, all who glorified Fidel and years later became part of our community. Chapman even put people in jail when they try to get him to defect. Cespedes was the same a hardcore revolutionary until he signed a 36m contract. Now they are our heroes. Accept his apology and let it die.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 11:16 AM)
I tweeted to him a couple of times today. I fully expect this to be blamed on KW at some point.

I tweeted PETA.

Between the animal sacrifice groups, Vigilia Mambisa and the anti-gay discrimination groups from Key West, they could have quite a motorcade coming to protest Ozzie directly at his press/media conference tomorrow.

Don't think they'll be holding it at the Clevelander Bar.

Im not defending ozzie because he is a fool for making those statements but for what its worth Vigilia Mambisa is comprised of mostly elder Cubans that actually fled Cuba during those nasty years. Not necessarily the demographic that purchases tickets to baseball games featuring topless women.

My first two thoughts last night:

Poor Greg.

That's a lot to process, then to fight back against and defend.

Really wonder how Cowley can spin it to his editor. His limited brain must be turning somersaults trying to do the mental gymnastics of spinning this one in a positive light. Hopefully Cowley's g/f isn't Cuban-American or he'll have a hard time explaining himself. Nice to see him squirming a bit.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 12:30 PM)
Im not defending ozzie because he is a fool for making those statements but for what its worth Vigilia Mambisa is comprised of mostly elder Cubans that actually fled Cuba during those nasty years. Not necessarily the demographic that purchases tickets to baseball games featuring topless women.

Old Cubans don't like topless women?

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 12:30 PM)

Just about every Cuban and non Cuban who believes in human rights should be offended by Ozzie's comments. BTW, he'll never work for Fox again. It took a lot less for Psycho Lyons to be shown the door. He's also set himself up to be, when he loses this job, pretty much PNG for all major league teams.

At least with this, people will see the truth. All the BS about Ozzie being bright should be a thing of the past. He won't get fired over this, but he won't last his contract, and he'll never manage another major league team. No one will touch him. Loria only hired him for drawing power, not baseball acumen. Once that is out the window or another major crisis or 2, Ozzie, he gone. Oney, he'll be looking for a job.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 05:19 AM)
Wow, it only took 3 games and some are already calling for the clown's head.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/break...0,6384867.story

In the past, when interest groups over-react and make irrational demands over silly s*** like this I've found myself questioning that group's credibility and entirely disregarding their irrelevant opinions.

My favorite part of this story is that he's getting hell for an opinion of his that isn't popular with a group of people. Can anyone think of another place that punishes people for the expression of their beliefs if they stray too far from, or run contrary to an accepted norm?

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 12:55 PM)
In the past, when interest groups over-react and make irrational demands over silly s*** like this I've found myself questioning that group's credibility and entirely disregarding their irrelevant opinions.

My favorite part of this story is that he's getting hell for an opinion of his that isn't popular with a group of people. Can anyone think of another place that punishes people for the expression of their beliefs if they stray too far from, or run contrary to an accepted norm?

Um, everywhere?

that was my favorite part of the story too.

LOL. There are still places where you pay for a differing opinion with your life.

my favorite part of the story is how Ozzie had to read his comments to realize that they offended people. I imagine a NSFW Skanberg comic with Ozzie reading a Time magazine and his thought balloon saying "what kind of asshole would say something like that?".....flips page "oooh, me. damn"

Back when Schott made her comments there were alot of people that said, well only the jews would really find her comments insensitive. I feel like the same is being done now with people saying only the Cubans should care. I think everyone in Miami and Fla should care that they are being represented by an idiot.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 01:31 PM)
All I can do is laugh...what the hell did they expect?

He's been pulling this s*** for 7-8 years now...it was no f***ing mystery.

Seriously. They essentially hired Keith Olberman and then were surprised when he clashed with management. Um, duh?

This is what the Marlins and their fans wanted, they wanted a yearlong storyline and we got it. It isn't really a problem until it begins to effect the product on the field.

Also, I'm taking off my marlins shades when i say this but when i initially read the story i took Ozzie's comments (as boneheaded as they were) as if i were to tell my friends that while i was in Iraq i respected al qaeda because they really took it to us when we were out there. My friends aren't going to bash me and say I'm a muslim extremist. All i was saying is that they are some tough son of a b****es, just like ozzie said he respects fidel because everyone wants him dead and the f***er is still ticking.

Edited by flippedoutpunk

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 02:48 PM)
This is what the Marlins and their fans wanted, they wanted a yearlong storyline and we got it. It isn't really a problem until it begins to effect the product on the field.

Also, I'm taking off my marlins shades when i say this but when i initially read the story i took Ozzie's comments (as boneheaded as they were) as if i were to tell my friends that while i was in Iraq i respected al qaeda because they really took it to us when we were out there. My friends aren't going to bash me and say I'm a muslim extremist. All i was saying is that they are some tough son of a b****es, just like ozzie said he respects fidel because everyone wants him dead and the f***er is still ticking.

There's just no safe way to make a statement like that. The idea is that it is in fact gutless to use your power to have others go kill/oppress innocent people. If Fidel Castro went rambo and did all of that with his own bare hands, maybe there'd be a certain semblance of respect there based on the physical feat of it. But even that sounds wrong. There's no way to put it without it sounding like Ozzie believes that Fidel takes off his dictator cap now and then and is actually a cool guy.

Maybe if he said he was "in awe" of what had happened that'd be a less divisive way to say what he was possibly trying to say. But he's an idiot, so he didn't say it the right way and he's too arrogant to just get away from the entire statement and must clarify to try and show that he never did say anything wrong in the first place.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 03:02 PM)
So glad OG is gone ................did not take him long to piss off the fanbase.

The fan base isn't pissed. A certain population is. Just like how Chicago is supposedly the second largest population of polish people in the world, if a manager in chicago said something detrimental towards the polish population id be willing to bet that wrigley would still sell tickets and the white sox would do the same.

Also.. great win by the marlins today!

Infante :headbang :headbang :headbang

Tosh's twitter thread has been on fire on this:

Ozzie Guillen on the 9/11 highjackers: those guys knew a thing or two about teamwork! #ozziemisquotes

Ozzie on John Lennon "He did provoke that shooting" #ozziemisquotes

Ozzie on Stephan Hawking, "great footwork" #ozziemisquotes

Ozzie Guillen on Rosa Parks: "She never called shotgun." #ozziemisquote

Kim Jong Il was a natural provider." #ozziemisquotes

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 02:48 PM)

Muslim Extremist.