You're Hahn, who are you looking to trade first?

caulfield12

Pick the player you think it's important to move first  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Which player has the most value now but is likely to lose some

• Jesse Crain
    • Matt Thornton
    • Matt Lindstrom
    • Alexei Ramirez
    • Alex Rios
    • Erik Johnson
    • Dayan Viciedo
    • Conor Gillaspie
    • Alejandro DeAza
    • Dylan Axelrod

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 03:41 PM)
Jake, if you start to trade Rios and Peavy, you're basically giving up on next year also. When organizations get in trouble is when they try to rebuild while contending. It's very hard to look at the roster without Rios and Peavy and think this team can even sniff competing against the powerhouse Tigers.

There is a good chance that we don't even feel the loss of Peavy, production wise.

Rios hurts which is why I would want the most for him and why I wouldn't be eager to move him unless someone gives me exactly what I want. If you got a high level prospect like Olt, there is a slight chance that he ends up being a just-as-important position player in the next year and almost certainly in the second year if all pans out.

The way I would do it is you try to bring enough in for next season that it looks like a .500 team -- and sometimes those teams happen to take off. You continue building through that year, maybe trade off a guy or two if you fall out of it and hope to be really ready the next season. We're going to have a decent amount of money to play with and you have to count on getting players that make you better in these trades and maybe, just maybe, somebody of our own contributes offensively in that time. Maybe a Phegley, maybe a Sanchez or Johnson, maybe Dayan breaks out.

This isn't the NBA...it doesn't really pay to be bad. A high draft pick is great, but not worth all the costs of losing. Teams can be rebuilt quickly with some savvy. We've seen it before (2005, anyone?).

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jake, if you start to trade Rios and Peavy, you're basically giving up on next year also. When organizations get in trouble is when they try to rebuild while contending. It's very hard to look at the roster without Rios and Peavy and think this team can even sniff competing against the powerhouse Tigers.

It depends what you get back. Jake was suggesting Mike Olt or a player of his caliber and readiness to contribute next year. If Olt plays like we all think he's capable of and you use the money saved to grab an impact bat or 2 then with this pitching you're set up to contend next year.

just for the sake of argument Olt/Granderson/Morales > Rios/Morales or Rios/Granderson.

war4.GIF

picture3.jpg

It's a total crapshoot, especially if you're not picking number 1 overall. The costs of picking first overall are just too high to justify the potential payoff. Let that happen when your whole team accidentally gets hurt or when you're a small market team that can't afford to compete.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 04:25 PM)
It depends what you get back. Jake was suggesting Mike Olt or a player of his caliber and readiness to contribute next year. If Olt plays like we all think he's capable of and you use the money saved to grab an impact bat or 2 then with this pitching you're set up to contend next year.

just for the sake of argument Olt/Granderson/Morales > Rios/Morales or Rios/Granderson.

I've seen Olt play a few times at AAA Round Rock this year. Not impressed.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 07:35 PM)
I've seen Olt play a few times at AAA Round Rock this year. Not impressed.

Looking at his stats it would be hard to be impressed. .191/.277/.366 and averaging better than 1 K for every 3 PA.

I remember some hardcore Angels fans in '07 salivating over our Josh Fields, and some of the questions re: Olt that were out there last offseason (why teams weren't biting on big packages headlined by Olt) made me think he may be another boom or bust Josh Fields type who just simply can't hit a fastball.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 07:19 AM)
OK, call me bonehead, meathead or whatever you want but here goes:

The Cubs farm is getting quite good and with the addition of Bryant at some point they may be top 5-10. If you had a choice of the below top 4 which would you start a package wish list with? Noting that Bryant cannot be traded until a year after he signs?

1. Javier Baez

1. Albert Almora

3. Jorge Soler

4. Chris Bryant

What other pieces would you demand back? Would you try and make it a 3 team deal?

We would send Sale (As untouchable as it gets) for the right package, why not? I know the Flubs are going to off load some of their one year contracts (Feldman, Baker) and others to get more prospects to either flip or keep growing.

I know we just locked up Sale to one of MLB's friendliest contracts but we need good hitting in our system. OK flame away.

Mr. Madison, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

At 28-38, it's time to dump or at least test. In addition to Rios/Peavy, Crain who is having an above average season is a must trade, so are any other bullpen arms. Need to leverage those guys in a trade to find critical every day OF talent. Guarantee they could also get something for Beckham because of his defensive skills... Mid-season, start there. Peavy ship has sailed. We should have traded him a month ago, at this point not likely worth it. Rios, definitely. DeAza, definitely.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 08:44 PM)
Mr. Madison, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A simple WRONG would've been just fine......

There is a lack of bullpen arms that will be on the trade block next month. Jesse Crain could bring in some solid prospects for the subpar farm system. A typically reliable source of relievers, the Padres are contenders right now. Unless they struggle over the next month and a half, Gregerson or Street will be staying put. The Sox should probably hope for that, as that increases Crain's trade value.

I have to wonder if they'd trade within the division, as the Tigers desperately need someone to close out games. Nick Castellanos or Avisail Garcia would likely be included in the deal.

Edited by jthunder93

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 07:41 PM)
My plan as Hahn is to get this team back on its feet again ASAP. No extended rebuilds.

We'll assume that not much is different around mid-July, which is when we'll be dealing.

Step 1. Crain: He's a must-trade. I think you could really steal from someone who wants Crain, but even if you don't love your offers, you have to pull the trigger on something.

Step 2. Peavy: Try to see the market. You should be able to get a lot for him, and this is a case where I'd be willing to wait until the offseason to move him if he needs to prove he is healthy or whatever else. He is the most replaceable star we have, in that our pitching depth is pretty damn good and we have a good track record of developing starting arms.

Step 3. Rios: Similar story to Peavy, but even in the offseason I would demand a king's ransom. He could be on this team until 2015 if we want him at about market value and if you want to rebuild quickly, this is an option. However, if you can pry away a Mike Olt type of player then you do that and be okay with the fact you will lose production in the short term. No A-ball prospects of any pedigree for Rios. Rios can still be a part of your next winner and you make the point clear to trading partners. You can always trade him next year, because again he is not blocking any prospects.

Step 4. De Aza. See about his value. He's a good player in a premium position and you might be able to get something nice for him. We just have to accept that we don't have a good way to replace him and if you want to compete in the near term you will probably have to buy a centerfielder. Again, I wouldn't be forcing the issue to trade him but if you can get a good player at any level I would probably go ahead and do it.

Step 5. Alexei. This is a tough one. He isn't the same player he once was and his contract is long but not fabulously expensive. With that said, a team in need of an SS will probably pay something nice for him. In this case, you're making Gordon your short term SS. Kep is your 2B and you hope Carlos Sanchez pans out in the next 12-18 months. If you go into the offseason and want to add parts to make a competitive team, you may end up frustrated that you don't have a half-ass decent SS. Part of the deal, though.

Offseason plans: you give PK the finish to what is likely to be a "meh" season, pat him on the ass, let him walk. He probably retires, I would guess.

You stick it out with Dunn. You're not going to get anything for him and after dumping some mixture of Peavy/Rios/Crain/PK/Floyd, you really don't even need to save more money. Dunn may very well hit 40 bombs again and is just the type of guy that can add a little excitement to a team that may be in a transition year. In the final year of his contract, if he still looks like a 40 bomb guy, he may actually become quite valuable in trade. He isn't blocking any prospects at this point, either.

Bring in one major FA piece. You have some choices and you'll try to get one that the market doesn't overvalue. My primary target would probably be Kendry Morales to give you a middle-of-the-order bat for the next 3-4 years, but it is important not to overpay. Brian McCann, Jacoby Ellsbury, Curtis Granderson, Nate McLouth, James Loney, and several others will be worth looking at as well. You don't have to get a top-top guy, but bring in a veteran that can fathomably be on your next playoff team. If you get good value, get another one. It's fine to accidentally win.

Tyler Flowers will either be good enough to be your starting C or you hand the keys to Phegley.

Tank gets another year, but his position is negotiable depending on your other moves.

No need to look at adding pitchers. You can bring in a Matt Lindstrom-type, because again sucking isn't fun so it isn't a problem to spend a million or two on a guy that will keep you from losing some games. In the very worst case, these guys get valuable at the deadline.

You should be in a position where a couple things can go right and you win and at worst you should be another productive offseason away from winning.

Jake, why in the hell should you stick it out with Dunn? I'd trade him so fast if anybody would take him. I'd get Tank out of here with his .267 OBP. Sick of guys who swing at everything, thus are easy outs.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 11:09 PM)
Jake, why in the hell should you stick it out with Dunn? I'd trade him so fast if anybody would take him. I'd get Tank out of here with his .267 OBP. Sick of guys who swing at everything, thus are easy outs.

You might be able to get something out of somebody looking for a bat off the bench...Sox might have to eat part of his contract though.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 08:33 PM)
Looking at his stats it would be hard to be impressed. .191/.277/.366 and averaging better than 1 K for every 3 PA.

I remember some hardcore Angels fans in '07 salivating over our Josh Fields, and some of the questions re: Olt that were out there last offseason (why teams weren't biting on big packages headlined by Olt) made me think he may be another boom or bust Josh Fields type who just simply can't hit a fastball.

His stock has dropped quite a bit from where it was not to long ago.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 11:09 PM)

Greg, who's having the better year: Paul Konerko or Adam Dunn? Just wondering.....

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 07:35 AM)
My prediction: Hahn doesn't make a move until at least July 20th, and when he does it'll be something like trading Lindstrom for a UT player prospect who is at least 2 years away.

I just don't see that happening. Hahn has to realize this offense is a mess and that we need some young, talented bats to build around. Taking advantage of buyers at the deadline will be one of his best opportunities to do so.

Peavy, Rios, Ramirez, De Aza, Crain, Thornton, & Lindstrom should all be available at the deadline for the right price. That doesn't mean you automatically trade them, at least not the relievers, but if you can get good value for Peavy and the position players you definitely move them.

I actually think this offense can be improved pretty quickly if Hahn can make the right moves and acquire two young bats that can be in the everyday lineup next year and is willing to spend in the offseason. But the key is getting a couple cheap, cost-controlled bats at the deadline, so you can afford to fill your others in free agency.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 10:17 AM)
I just don't see that happening. Hahn has to realize this offense is a mess and that we need some young, talented bats to build around. Taking advantage of buyers at the deadline will be one of his best opportunities to do so.

Peavy, Rios, Ramirez, De Aza, Crain, Thornton, & Lindstrom should all be available at the deadline for the right price. That doesn't mean you automatically trade them, at least not the relievers, but if you can get good value for Peavy and the position players you definitely move them.

I actually think this offense can be improved pretty quickly if Hahn can make the right moves and acquire two young bats that can be in the everyday lineup next year and is willing to spend in the offseason. But the key is getting a couple cheap, cost-controlled bats at the deadline, so you can afford to fill your others in free agency.

The problem is going to be, outside of Rios and Peavy...none of those guys would be expected to bring back an MLB-ready impact bat, and Peavy the answer might be "Maybe" depending on how his health goes at this point. You might be able to get an impact player, but not one who is ready to step in right away for the other guys.

Remember...if a player is nearly MLB ready, the team isn't going to give him up without a big return, because the team could make themselves better just by bringing that player up and fitting him into the rotation "somehow" even if he's not at a position of need.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 10:19 AM)
I'm sure they are targeting specific players to fit into the holes that this team has. Once a team is willing to meet the Sox price, you will see the domino's fall, whether that is June 20 or July is up to the other teams.

And until that happens, we'll hear posts complaining about how Hahn needs to start doing something.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 09:21 AM)
And until that happens, we'll hear posts complaining about how Hahn needs to start doing something.

Unless people have specific knowledge of what offers are on the table, it is completely ignorant to complain about the lack of deals. Dumping guys for any return on June 17, to make some sort of "statement" would destroy this franchise for a decade.

I honestly do not care what they do but if they simply dump players to reduce salary, I will not renew my ticket plan next year.

I am talking about the Ray Durham type trades.

I understand youth movements and trading guys at the deadline but if they trade Crain for a player that is four years away and not highly thought of that is when I get ticked.

I do not get a refund for watching this horses*** team try and hit a baseball.

The Mets are said to have interest in Rios....What would you guys think of a deal built around Wilmer Flores? 21 y.o. 3B prospect who's currently hitting over .300 in AAA with a .837 OPS....Kid still has room to grow and the fact that he's already made it to AAA is encouraging.....I would ask for some lower level talent as well.