White Sox sign Micker Zapata for $1.6 million

caulfield12

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 12:14 PM)
from MLB.com

This is what I love about scouting reports. How can player A be less athletic than player B yet player B cannot play center field while player A can play all three OF positions?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 03:08 PM)
This is what I love about scouting reports. How can player A be less athletic than player B yet player B cannot play center field while player A can play all three OF positions?

At 16, I'm not sure how you determine that, but in the majors, you have guys like Jim Edmonds who read the ball off the bat really well that can do that sort of thing.

Still, you are right, it's silly.

If the White Sox still have $600K, I would expect them to take a long look and use that allocation on a player/players.

Remember, having Marco Paddy aboard, this brings credibility to the Latin America/international movement that the White Sox are now trying to do.

And...they can do what the Cubs did earlier...trade a player for prospects and some teams' allocation money, in order to increase the White Sox's international pool. They're not done yet IMHO.

Edited by OilCan

I know it's a small thing, but English being Micker's first language should really help his transition to the states. Being able to communicate clearly and easily with the majority of the coaching staff, players, and everyday people will make his life so much easier and aid in his development.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 07:26 AM)
I know it's a small thing, but English being Micker's first language should really help his transition to the states. Being able to communicate clearly and easily with the majority of the coaching staff, players, and everyday people will make his life so much easier and aid in his development.

Well, it sounds like the kid grew up in the USVI and only moved to DR three years ago to avoid the draft. If that's the case, without knowing anything at all about the family, he should have much less problems acclimating.

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 10:32 PM)
If the White Sox still have $600K, I would expect them to take a long look and use that allocation on a player/players.

Remember, having Marco Paddy aboard, this brings credibility to the Latin America/international movement that the White Sox are now trying to do.

And...they can do what the Cubs did earlier...trade a player for prospects and some teams' allocation money, in order to increase the White Sox's international pool. They're not done yet IMHO.

IIRC all of their guys last year were in that 200 to 300k range.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 12:10 PM)
Not sure if this has been posted yet but it's a good article about Micker Zapata. It also mentions their plans to sign 2-3 more guys.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...ws&c_id=cws

Lol at the last line of that article. Looks like the author forgot what he was going to type to end it.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 02:42 PM)
one comment i saw on Facebook: "why dont we encourage our young people to pursue their education?"

sometimes i want fierce winds to take my computer and let it fly far far away

Haha most of my friends that went to school with me to also become teachers are not working. I got lucky enough to find a teaching job. Most of them have not. People are morons.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 02:39 PM)
I know he is only 16 and some might say Hahn overpaid, but if the Cubs signed him we would have been drooling. It is nice to see the Sox take a gamble. Let's hope this pays off for the international department after the Molina recommendation. I'm pumped.

Can anyone honestly assess underpaid and overpaid before 3-4 years from now?

It's like throwing darts at the wall and hoping some stick....or a mutual fund company investing in 100 individual companies and hitting it out of the park on maybe 5-7 of them.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)
I know he is only 16 and some might say Hahn overpaid, but if the Cubs signed him we would have been drooling. It is nice to see the Sox take a gamble. Let's hope this pays off for the international department after the Molina recommendation. I'm pumped.

Marco Paddy?