White Sox sign Belisario, 1-year, $3 mill

dayan024

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 10:15 PM)
I recall Coop talking about this before. The Sox front office identifies arms they like and just bring them in. I have my doubts as to whether Cooper has even seen the guy. He's not infallible either.

That could have been how it worked with the last administration, he may not have the same setup with this one, and we also know he's dropped names before with Matt.

If nothing else, he might have given some suggestions about the type of stuff or mechanics he would like to work with.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 09:22 PM)
Not too worried about it. Closers are easy to make. Cash in on the value if you can. I'm not saying definitely trade Reed, but if the right package came in return that's definitely something we should consider.

Absolutely.

I like this signing.

Is Webb a ceiling middle reliever?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 04:35 AM)
Absolutely.

I like this signing.

Is Webb a ceiling middle reliever?

Now I know why u guys didn't like my haiku format of posting when I used to do that. It seems kind of weird to see my haiku format in print.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 07:02 PM)
When you're out all night pulling b****es, 10 AM is early. He was probably still out doing his thang at that point when he looks down at his cell phone, half-tuned, and sees it's 10:33 and says "oh s*** (in Spanish)" and gets to the ballpark at 11:52, just in time to get his gear on, scratch his nuts, and take his spot in the bullpen.

(keep him away from Starlin)

My "flake" reference was more a joke about his (past) cocaine use anyway more than an indictnent of his lateness :P

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 11:16 PM)
Webb have starter potential?

Webb picked up like 8 mph on his fastball when he switched to relieving. He was throwing low 90's at best as a starter and hitting 100 as a reliever. When a guy does that, you keep him in relief.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 02:13 AM)
Funny thing is I've actually seen a few people praise us for this move...more pen help isnt a bad thing. I must say though(off topic)....Jesse Crain's market is pretty dead.

I would still like Jesse Crain in a Sox uniform and being injured last season might keep his price down a bit

QUOTE (Jillian Michaels' Abs @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 05:04 PM)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

As I've stated in other threads... I am a big Dodgers fan. Almost as much a Dodgersfan as Sox fan.

Belisario is terrible. He is incredibly frustrating to watch. What was even more frustrating to watch was Don Mattingly's continued use of him in high-leverage late inning situations. And now, as a Sox fan I have to watch him load the bases in the eighth inning.

Hopefully he will have a short leash.

*puke*

As someone who watches a lot of Dodger games I disagree. He's not terrible. Inconsistent? Yes. Overused? Yes. But when he's on he's still very, very good.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 04:06 PM)
Not happening. You can bet the ranch on it.

I'd agree with that after this signing. Reed/Jones/2 lefties/Belisario/Lindstrom is already 6 and I'd be stunned if they're not going to have one spot for either Petricka/Webb/whoever earns it. And heck, they may need to drop to a 6 man pen sometimes this year based on carrying an extra DH on the roster.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 12:45 PM)
Leesman and Veal.

Quite frankly, I'd rather start the season with 6 righties than carry both of those guys. I have very little confidence in either of Leesman or Veal, so either sign or trade for a left-handed reliever or start the season with just one of them in the bullpen.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 01:50 PM)
Quite frankly, I'd rather start the season with 6 righties than carry both of those guys. I have very little confidence in either of Leesman or Veal, so either sign or trade for a left-handed reliever or start the season with just one of them in the bullpen.

Both of these guys have some upside and Leesman gives the extra benefit of being a potential long reliever. Veal clearly has upside based on what we saw in 2012, we clearly can't just toss guys like that aside with where we're at.

Leesman, ok, if we find someone better I promise not to be mad. He seems like a guy who will find a slot as a 2nd lefty in bullpens over a number of years, maybe bouncing back and forth between AAA and the bigs because there are always guys who do that.

We've got to try to get something out of Veal for at least one more year since we've already seen what he can do if he finds a groove.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 07:37 AM)
Webb picked up like 8 mph on his fastball when he switched to relieving. He was throwing low 90's at best as a starter and hitting 100 as a reliever. When a guy does that, you keep him in relief.

Shouldn't Sale be in the pen then? He threw harder out of the pen, most pitcher do when they don't need to worry about 5-7 innings of work.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 03:10 PM)
Shouldn't Sale be in the pen then? He threw harder out of the pen, most pitcher do when they don't need to worry about 5-7 innings of work.

Matt Thornton is available and he would probably come cheap.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 03:10 PM)

Sale only picked up a couple mph. His average fastball in '11 was 94.9, in '12 was 92.3 (and remember he was tired the entire season from having been in the bullpen the year before), his fastball in a full season in '13 was 93.3. By all accounts, Webb's velocity jump was several times larger, Sale's fastball picked up 1.6 mph while being in the bullpen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 03:24 PM)
Both of these guys have some upside and Leesman gives the extra benefit of being a potential long reliever. Veal clearly has upside based on what we saw in 2012, we clearly can't just toss guys like that aside with where we're at.

Leesman, ok, if we find someone better I promise not to be mad. He seems like a guy who will find a slot as a 2nd lefty in bullpens over a number of years, maybe bouncing back and forth between AAA and the bigs because there are always guys who do that.

We've got to try to get something out of Veal for at least one more year since we've already seen what he can do if he finds a groove.

Ya, Veal was actually pretty good the final 2 months last year as well, with just 3 runs in his final 16 innings.

I'd like for the Sox to add another LH arm for the pen, but if they don't plan on competing then it doesn't hurt to go with just Veal and maybe Leesman down there.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 04:58 PM)
Ya, Veal was actually pretty good the final 2 months last year as well, with just 3 runs in his final 16 innings.

I'd like for the Sox to add another LH arm for the pen, but if they don't plan on competing then it doesn't hurt to go with just Veal and maybe Leesman down there.

Whenever I think about Veal I think about that Sunday FOX game in Los Angeles where he allowed that terrible home run.