It's cold outside

Rowand44

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 01:54 PM)
AND is vastly different than 4WD. I love spinning my little RWD Miata around in the snow. Throw the all seasons on (lol) and it basically goes sideways if I even turn the steering wheel

Most fun you can have in a car is a footish of snow, an empty parking lot and a Mazda Miata on summer tires.

Yes it is actually. AWD is weak in the snow, especially those little SUV's that the dealer convinced females would be great when the weather got bad. Even the new explorer is weaker because they shifted to this type of system.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 10:17 AM)
I meant that they were, my phone auto corrected AWD to AND because it's sentient. All AWD really means is your FWD car can send power the rear wheels too sometimes.

I thought AWD means all the time? That's the main difference between the two. 4x4 is either electronically started depending on the situation or manually set. But in both cases power is shifted to all wheels. Whereas awd is basically limited power to all four wheels all the time.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)
I thought AWD means all the time? That's the main difference between the two. 4x4 is either electronically started depending on the situation or manually set. But in both cases power is shifted to all wheels. Whereas awd is basically limited power to all four wheels all the time.

Kind of. AWD is usually on all the time as its electronically controlled.

Decent article

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/whats-th...ll-wheel-drive/

Its a little skewed towards "older" 4wd systems as most newer ones are as robust for off roading but are also more intelligent. Mine for example has a switching system that changes the behavior of my system, but its still on all the time. Most AWD systems these days are used in smaller vehicles and cars and generally arent as advanced as what that article explains.

Edited by RockRaines

It really depends on how the differentials and controls are set up. Something like an AWD Lamborghini? It's going to be power to the rear wheels most of the time, whereas a ford escape might be sending most of the power to the front wheels most of the time. And if you don't have limited-slip differentials, you can still get stuck with spinning wheels.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 08:39 PM)
Iirc you can count the numbers of plows they own on one hand.

Haha, this is probably true. I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but it hasn't snowed here in 4 years. No real need for plows.

Atlanta has succumbed. It's been pouring snow for 2 hours now. It's accumulating on the ground. The roads are slick. I've made it home but only have enough food to survive a week. Hopefully our heat stays on. I'll keep you all posted.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
Polar Vortex 2.0 in Chicago was much weaker than the original.

Yup, I was at least able to get around these last few days, a couple weeks ago I had no such luck.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 03:48 PM)
It still sucks.

And yup. I'm seriously ready to get the hell out of Chicago.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 01:00 PM)
Atlanta has succumbed. It's been pouring snow for 2 hours now. It's accumulating on the ground. The roads are slick. I've made it home but only have enough food to survive a week. Hopefully our heat stays on. I'll keep you all posted.

I have a few Facebook friends in Birmingham, it's mayhem out there. Cars stranded on the highway, kids forced to spend the night at schools, I think they got two whole inches of snow!

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 08:02 PM)
I just got a load Yakima WA to Atlanta GA. It delivers the 3rd, I pray you'll have your s*** together by then.

Oh yeah, you'll be fine. It's supposed to be in the 60's all weekend.

It was a wild day of weather. I feel bad now for poking fun at the usual overreaction of people here. It was actually really bad today. It took people 6-8 hours to get home in what usually would take 45 minutes. There's black ice everywhere. Hundreds of wrecks. People just left their cars on the roads. Kids are stuck overnight in schools because the buses couldn't get them home and/or their parents could make it to the school. Yeah, it's only two inches of snow but the issue is the ice. It's been below freezing here all day so there is ice everywhere and we have only a few trucks to spread salt/brine.

Edited by dasox24