2014-2015 NFL Football thread

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 04:45 PM)
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 1h1 hour ago- The first words Pace spoke in his interview " I'm here to beat Green Bay".

Oh Boy...LOL

Trying to appeal to the meathead fans is all i can think of.

But yeah they need to beat GB.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 04:45 PM)
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 1h1 hour ago- The first words Pace spoke in his interview " I'm here to beat Green Bay".

well that makes me like him less. His job is to get the team to the playoffs and the Superbowl, not to appease meatheads.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 05:50 PM)
well that makes me like him less. His job is to get the team to the playoffs and the Superbowl, not to appease meatheads.

Who is to say there isn't a meathead who needs to be appeased in order to get hired?

Hearing that the interview went very well. I do think it's premature of anyone to say he is about to sign. I think they will wait and see what happens with Kubiak and maybe even interview a guy like Marrone.

This was the commentary from the person who scooped the Pace hiring.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 04:50 PM)

They are currently the best in the division. What he said is true. It would be different if GB was a losing team. Right now they need to beat GB.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 10:38 PM)
Radio talk seems to indicate pace turned down a few gigs and bear job is total control and ideal place for him.

Seems like a great move.

He turned down jets, but all did.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 04:50 PM)

True

Focus should be on making a quality team, if you do that, being able to beat GB would be a result of that.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 10:09 PM)
They are currently the best in the division. What he said is true. It would be different if GB was a losing team. Right now they need to beat GB.

He should be here to get this team to a Superbowl. Beating GB can be a part of that, but it isn't absolutely necessary and it isn't goal #1. We'd all rather have a 14-2 SB champ than a 2-14 "Beat GB!" champ. It's not that laying out a plan to supplant GB as NFC North champions is bad, it's just that the first words being "I'm here to beat GB!" rubs me as the same-old, same-old from the Bears.

but like jake said, maybe the McCaskeys are part of the meathead group...

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 10:38 PM)
Radio talk seems to indicate pace turned down a few gigs and bear job is total control and ideal place for him.

Seems like a great move.

Yeah of course it's full control. Phil Emery had full control as well. Ted Phillips and George McCaskey aren't making football decisions and they don't want to be making football decisions. Harry, you didn't suggest this but in general, I don't really understand where those thoughts come from. Ryan Pace is essentially in charge of Football Operations for the Bears as the General Manager.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 08:15 AM)
He should be here to get this team to a Superbowl. Beating GB can be a part of that, but it isn't absolutely necessary and it isn't goal #1. We'd all rather have a 14-2 SB champ than a 2-14 "Beat GB!" champ. It's not that laying out a plan to supplant GB as NFC North champions is bad, it's just that the first words being "I'm here to beat GB!" rubs me as the same-old, same-old from the Bears.

but like jake said, maybe the McCaskeys are part of the meathead group...

Have the Bears ever made it to the playoffs without beating Green Bay?

I see what you are saying that beating Green Bay isn't the number one goal. It's winning the super bowl. However in this division, that road starts by beating Green Bay.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 06:59 AM)
He turned down jets, but all did.

A reporter from New Orleans felt that he had been sought out and offered more jobs over the past couple of years but he always wanted more control than was offered.

Ted Phillips is the President of Football Operations while not making moves or evaluating talent he has a role and the GM reports to him so he is a layer of management that has some over-site along with the Board over the GM