ESPN predicts Sox at 71-91

southsider2k5

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 08:58 AM)
That's just ridiculous, this isn't the NBA. Do you know what happened the last time the Sox won 79 games in a season? They drafted Chris Sale with the following year's draft pick. That mediocrity sure destroyed the franchise.

Sure your odds are better of hitting on a pick when you draft in the top 3, but there are great players all over the draft and internationally. And one player doesn't determine a franchise's entire future success like in other sports.

We went through this exact conversation over the summer, and I'm not going to circle the wagons again. You are fine with a mid round draft pick, I prefer a top 3 pick. Agree to disagree.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 05:18 PM)
Offensively, he might be a better offensive "prospect" than Davidson but I can't come to any reasonable argument by which he's a more fully developed offensive player. I'm similarly not sure he's a better offensive player in the big leagues than Alexei right now. His numbers in AAA were worse than Davidson's in a cup of coffee there, his numbers in the big leagues were worse than Davidson's when they both were up in September.

Davidson's had a full year at AAA already. Semien's had most of a year at AA. Semien might well keep tearing it up this year and by midseason tell everyone "I'm going to destroy the big leagues", but he's not there yet.

Semien had a wRC+ of 123 in AAA, Davidson a 117. I would argue Semien was the better offensive player, especially given that Semien was still adjusting to the league at the time. Obviously the major league stats lean heavily in Davidson's favor, although I think Semien might have simply been worn down by that point from a long season. Honestly, I think both guys could probably use a month or two of seasoning at AAA to start next year.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 04:35 PM)
I hate this argument so much. If it's June/July and you're 10 games out then f*** it move some pieces and give young guys a chance and the worse you finish the better. If we finish with a top 3 pick next year this will be another miserable season for all of us. Hopefully our young guys perform well and we pick up some additional prospects in July. Let's improve 10-12 games this year and another 10 games in '15 and get back in the playoff picture. That's what Hahn is trying to do.

We are trying to add long term value. 95+ losses offers very little likelihood we're moving towards that goal.

Tell it, rodent.

Long term suckage is bad for the franchise and bad for the fanbase, and the positives of draft position don't come close to outweighing it.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 08:19 PM)
Tell it, rodent.

Long term suckage is bad for the franchise and bad for the fanbase, and the positives of draft position don't come close to outweighing it.

We can't become the Astros or Cubs. If that happens, our attendance will look like the A's.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 08:29 PM)
We can't become the Astros or Cubs. If that happens, our attendance will look like the A's.

Or the Indians...or the Rays.

Although in terms of blipping up when there's a winning team, we have some similarities with KC and Balt too.

Edited by caulfield12

No idea what the Vegas line for the White Sox wins is, but if it was 71.5 I'd be betting over. Otherwise I thought it was a good assessment because we definitely have some offensive concerns and hopefully there will be some improvement this year. It is fascinating that the Sox alternate between good and bad every other year though.

Speaking to Marty's general point of adding Santana/Jimenez -- I think the problem is that there's a very good chance that Ervin Santana won't be very good as soon as next year, let alone in 3 or 4. If there was a better piece, we might sign it. But the White Sox presumably agree with many of the posters here that it wouldn't be a wise investment. If we find we need Ervin Santana for 2015, there's a guy that will be as good for us to sign then.

Hahn basically said that Davidson starts in AAA this year. ST should be more interesting any other season.

Four/five spots on the bench go to:

Catcher

Konerko

Danks

L. Garcia

Kepp/Gillaspie

ADA/Viciedo

Gotta be at least one move before OD.

AAA now getting very crowded, especially if Leury Garcia doesn't make the team. Obviously Davidson starts at 3B but who at SS/2B? Semien or Sanchez? Rotation? Does Garcia start in CF? If Thompson was supposed to go to AAA is he now staying in AA? A lot to shake out.

Danks, DeAza, and Viciedo will not all be on the roster. If neither of the last two get traded, then Danks goes to AAA.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 5, 2014 -> 09:11 AM)
Good job, insult posters using words we deem so offensive that we've filtered them, and then break the word up so that we can see it even clearer.

You're an extremist. The fact of the matter is a top 3 pick next year would be a devastating blow for this franchise when all is said and done. It would mean that nobody has progressed, there were severe injuries in the pitching staff, and the coaching staff has shown pure incompetence and that this offseason was a complete and utter failure. Yes, in a vacuum, if I had to choose between the 3rd pick and the 16th pick, I'd take the 3rd pick, but this isn't a vacuum, and that pick depends upon how well the team has played, and if they end up with the 3rd pick, then it sets the organization back about 5 years because they need to scrap everything and start over.

They're likely going to end up with a pick in the 8-14 range. That's a perfectly good draft pick where there will be a large number of very, very talented players available. That's a success. What is not a success is when the team is decrepit, the minor league system is rather barren, and the team finishes about 84-78. That's when it's bad.

I would take 74-78 wins in a heartbeat if Sale/Quintana stayed 100% healthy/productive, EJ looked good, all the young hitters progressed AND Courtney Hawkins and Anderson looked legitimately like future superstars in the making.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 5, 2014 -> 09:18 AM)
I would take 74-78 wins in a heartbeat if Sale/Quintana stayed 100% healthy/productive, EJ looked good, all the young hitters progressed AND Courtney Hawkins and Anderson looked legitimately like future superstars in the making.

If all that happened on the major league level, they would win more than 74-78.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 5, 2014 -> 09:26 AM)
If all that happened on the major league level, they would win more than 74-78.

As of now I'm prediction right in the middle of those numbers with 76 wins. I guess to me this year is all about the improvement and development of the younger players. How's Sale and Quintana going to do? Will Eaton and Davidson help us instantly? Will Garcia and Abreu be factors as well? I'm not banking on postseason at all this year, so if they don't make it to the playoffs I'm not automatically going to say this season was a bust. I'm looking for individual improvement and overall success as a team. But if we have a repeat of last year, then there's going to be bigger issues to address next year, starting with the coaching staff in my opinion.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 04:09 PM)
Hahn basically said that Davidson starts in AAA this year. ST should be more interesting any other season.

Four/five spots on the bench go to:

Catcher

Konerko

Danks

L. Garcia

Kepp/Gillaspie

ADA/Viciedo

Gotta be at least one move before OD.

AAA now getting very crowded, especially if Leury Garcia doesn't make the team. Obviously Davidson starts at 3B but who at SS/2B? Semien or Sanchez? Rotation? Does Garcia start in CF? If Thompson was supposed to go to AAA is he now staying in AA? A lot to shake out.

I wouldn't mind LGarcia refining his OF skills in Charlotte til the moves shake out. His future is PR/D replacement/utility. Sanchez at SS, Marcus at 2B - get him prepared for displacing Gordon.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 5, 2014 -> 08:20 PM)
One fundamental of every sports league is an understanding that every team should try to win every game. Once that gets ignored the sport becomes tarnished and nothing more than a scripted reality show.

Well obviously the players and coaches on the field, court, or ice feel this way. That's a given. A front office has to look at things differently. Getting the team closer to a championship is the only thing that a team owes you. If Gregg Popovich sits Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobli, and Tony Parker for 2 games because they are old and tired, it is perfectly acceptable. In his mind, the only way to win a championship is to keep guys like that fresh. I am sure that while their backups are playing they are trying to win but the organization has decided that even if they lose the 2 games, it gives SA the best chance at winning a championship. Sometimes teams need to take a step back to get better. I know this is a baseball board and a baseball topic but it just depends man.