Scott Carroll To MLB

Jose Abreu

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to figure the clock will eventually strike midnight and we will all want Carroll back in Charlotte, but if he can just get another good start or two under his belt and then Sale hopefully will be OK.

I could only imagine what it must of been like to be him at the start, yet he remained very composed. There is probably a reason he is 29 and never got a shot until now, but I'm sure if he stinks it up from here on out, he will say it was worth it. When RV yanked him, he did get a standing o, and it probably was the first one he has ever received. You could see the thrill.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 05:09 PM)
You have to figure the clock will eventually strike midnight and we will all want Carroll back in Charlotte, but if he can just get another good start or two under his belt and then Sale hopefully will be OK.

I could only imagine what it must of been like to be him at the start, yet he remained very composed. There is probably a reason he is 29 and never got a shot until now, but I'm sure if he stinks it up from here on out, he will say it was worth it. When RV yanked him, he did get a standing o, and it probably was the first one he has ever received. You could see the thrill.

9-2 win, the 29 year old making his major league debut doesn't give up anything until the pen comes in, and we get this.

No s*** he will probably come back to earth, but who gives a f*** right now? Take some time and enjoy the win. You can always blame Cooper for his downfall later.

This is a season of unexpected results and the birth of a beast. It's turning out to be a way better summer than I expected and I'm the Kumbaya singing manic. Perhaps he finds a spot in the pen at some point. Seriously, its the lowest hurdle to get over right now.

I honestly couldn't be any happier for Carroll right now. I was out golfing today but followed the game on my phone. Watching the highlights and seeing him get that standing ovation gave me chills. I can't imagine how both he and his family felt. What a great story.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 05:28 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 51m

Carroll had a torn labrum in his right hip repaired in '09 and Tommy John in '12. Pretty amazing story

What an incredible story, that's what sports are all about. Good for him. Never been happier for a pitcher to ruin my daily fantasy lineups, I stacked Rays all the way.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 04:12 PM)
I honestly couldn't be any happier for Carroll right now. I was out golfing today but followed the game on my phone. Watching the highlights and seeing him get that standing ovation gave me chills. I can't imagine how both he and his family felt. What a great story.

Ditto -- just a tremendous story. I'd be happy for this guy with any team, but I'm pretty thrilled he did it with the Sox.

Even if Carroll doesn't come close to do something like Humber or let's say Cal Eldred for the first half of 2000, it's already an amazing story of persistence and redemption, kind of like THE ROOKIE 2 (the Dennis Quaid/Disney movie about Rays' high school teacher turned pitcher Jim Morris).

from chicagotribune.com/sports story today...

"I mean, it starts with what Scotty did today coming in, and it's special," Ventura said. "You have a guy that gets his first opportunity in the big leagues and takes advantage of it. At 29, being up there, it's special. He was throwing strikes, ground balls. Even when guys got on, he had a sinker that you can use to get double plays and get out of innings. It's big. He showed everybody what it's like when you throw strikes."

Carroll benefited from another productive day by rookie Jose Abreu, who hit a two-run homer and a two-run single.

"We are all together, we're very happy," Abreu said through an interpreter. "I feel like the whole team contributed. We played well, and just getting to know the process and the steps that Scott has had to take to get here … it's a great thing and well deserved."

Carroll, who outdueled former Cy Young Award winner David Price (3-2), threw 100 pitches and left with one out in the eighth to a standing ovation as his mother was shown on TV shedding tears of joy.

"I had to hold back some tears and fight through that because it's been a long road for my family and (me)," he said. "For me to finally achieve my dream, my mom … she's an angel, and she's put in a lot of hard work taking care of me through two surgeries. It was pretty awesome."

After the long-awaited victory, Carroll said it was time to celebrate.

"You know, I have 36 friends and family here. We're going to try to meet up and I'm probably going to get a lot of hugs, a lot of kisses and stuff. It's awesome. Go grab a few drinks and have some dinner and just soak it all in."

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 05:28 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 51m

Carroll had a torn labrum in his right hip repaired in '09 and Tommy John in '12. Pretty amazing story

I was wondering why the "late bloom" on this guy, this makes more sense now.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 06:12 PM)

I was one section over from his family and friends and as the game went on, I found myself keeping an eye on them during the White Sox defensive halves. They were so excited and it added a very cool human element to the game today. This will be one of those cool human-interest sports stories that I hope continues. Carroll seems like he's got his head on straight, he just took some tough breaks. He was dealing in AAA this year before coming up and he dealt today, I'd say there's no reason not to see if he can't figure out how to be an MLB pitcher.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 06:58 PM)
I was wondering why the "late bloom" on this guy, this makes more sense now.

I was one section over from his family and friends and as the game went on, I found myself keeping an eye on them during the White Sox defensive halves. They were so excited and it added a very cool human element to the game today. This will be one of those cool human-interest sports stories that I hope continues. Carroll seems like he's got his head on straight, he just took some tough breaks. He was dealing in AAA this year before coming up and he dealt today, I'd say there's no reason not to see if he can't figure out how to be an MLB pitcher.

Only stories that come close in recent years were Humber's redemption/no-hitter in SEA and then Santos making the Sox...the reality show coverage of that team with Ozzie still at the helm.

When Abreu's family is 100% reunited in the U.S., that will be a huge moment as well.

It was a great pitching performance. He threw strikes and his pitches had all kinds of movement. I hope he stays in the bigs for several years and does it with the White Sox. A lot of White Sox fans will remember this game for a long time.