One of the worst Sox losses I've ever witnessed

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 06:27 AM)
I'm just curious, for anyone out there who really likes Robin Ventura.

What, in your mind, is he one of the five or ten best managers in MLB at doing? What aspect of his job does he excel in?

A couple of seasons ago, I would have said he has the right amount of patience and that "player's manager" feel...but without all the baggage and unpredictability of an Ozzie Guillen. We also knew he was never going to be a great post-game interview or wizard dealing with the press/media, such an important role for modern-day managers.

With how the defense and fundamentals haven't clearly improved coming off last year's debacle...and yet with new players at many position, you start to wonder if the institutional culture (outside of Cooper) needs to be changed at the big league level.

If it wasn't for the fortune of bidding on Jose Abreu in the perfect offseason for him to be available, this team would be 5-10 games under .500 and foundering, with no or little help available from the minors other than Rodon (assuming he signs).

I think Robin is doing a great job this year keeping this team around .500. Like I've written many times, when we are 2 over .500 he's actually a candidate for manager of the year because of the injuries and the lousy roster. Now when we dip below .500 I amend that comment a bit.

I think someday we are going to learn Coop makes all the pitching decisions.

I'm telling you guys, it's tough with these "aces." They don't want to come out of games. Managers, including Robin, manage them differently. They let them keep going in games. Remember Peavy? He wouldn't leave games either. Or got really pissed when he got yanked.

I am pretty convinced Coop is calling the shots. I think Coop got burned tonight (with no proof). I think Robin looked at him and Coop said, 'You f***ing leave him in. He's Chris Sale.' Then boom, grand slam. s*** happens.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 01:04 AM)
We simply don't know that.. I assume he would have a lot of say but it is ultimately up to Robin I would assume

I switched channels, at what point did Coop make a trip to the mound? I would think Robin, as a former hitter and having "one of the best pitching coaches in the league" would listen to him if he said it's time to pull him.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 01:08 AM)
I switched channels, at what point did Coop make a trip to the mound? I would think Robin, as a former hitter and having "one of the best pitching coaches in the league" would listen to him if he said it's time to pull him.

Right before facing Trout.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 12:02 AM)
Were you the one saying it was a fastball during the game thread??

Yes, because that's what Mark Langston said.

It's very hard for the radio announcers to call pitches from the press box until they can later watch the replays.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 01:26 AM)
Yes, because that's what Mark Langston said.

It's very hard for the radio announcers to call pitches from the press box until they can later watch the replays.

I really didn't know. I was just going off what Hawk and Stone said and how the pitch looked. Good to know Hawk wasn't wrong.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 12:09 AM)
At least I can't remember giving up 6 runs up, up 5 going into our last AB.

Ventura did not manage very well.

Hopefully this doesn't wreck our season. As demoralizing as it can get.

What kind of pitch did Trout hit?

Classic second guessers out there tonight.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 12:58 AM)
Yes. And right after Alexei's error is where I would have pulled him, although I don't think the bullpen started warming up yet until the run scored on the previous batter. I feel like that moment probably took the air out of Sale, or at the very least pissed him off. Whether or not it affected him, I'm not sure, but i had just had a bad feeling at that moment. Not getting the bullpen going at the beginning of the inning was probably the biggest mistake, IMO. But not sure if that's on Coop or Robin. I feel like I usually see Coop picking up the phone to the bullpen.

He had Trout 0-2. Your ace didn't have issues and his stuff was still there

Trout then hit a good pitchers pitch out. Turns out he's pretty good.

Edited by RockRaines

Another f***ing brutal loss. God damn it. I really thought we had it. I'm like, 0-4 with Sox games since moving to LA :( and I think in all 4, they were leading at some point.

This one is 100% on Ventura. Absolutely ludicrous to leave Sale out there after the double.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 01:50 AM)
He had Trout 0-2. Your ace didn't have issues and his stuff was still there

Trout then hit a good pitchers pitch out. Turns out he's pretty good.

Trout has some eye opening ability. How in the world he knew that pitch was coming is beyond me.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 03:33 AM)
Trout has some eye opening ability. How in the world he knew that pitch was coming is beyond me.

He was way behind on 2-3 consecutive fastballs.

He must have anticipated that Sale would JUST KNOW Trout was expecting another one at 3-2. Therefore, the change.

In the end, it sped up his bat. But only about 5 players in baseball take that ball out.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Jun 7, 2014 -> 11:56 PM)
Another f***ing brutal loss. God damn it. I really thought we had it. I'm like, 0-4 with Sox games since moving to LA :( and I think in all 4, they were leading at some point.

This one is 100% on Ventura. Absolutely ludicrous to leave Sale out there after the double.

I grew up for decades watching the Sox lose to the Angles. My dad and I seriously went to almost every white sox game in Anaheim for a twelve year stretch. It was a rarity that the Sox won. That all changed in 2005 and we'll have our time again.

This was a hard loss and it can be second guessed thousands of times over... But in the end - it was what it was and my choice was to stand up, tip my cap to the other team, and know that tomorrow is another day.

Game over. Go get em tomorrow with your heads held high and use this as motivation to become better. That's the only acceptable outlook in my eyes.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 12:35 PM)
I grew up for decades watching the Sox lose to the Angles. My dad and I seriously went to almost every white sox game in Anaheim for a twelve year stretch. It was a rarity that the Sox won. That all changed in 2005 and we'll have our time again.

This was a hard loss and it can be second guessed thousands of times over... But in the end - it was what it was and my choice was to stand up, tip my cap to the other team, and know that tomorrow is another day.

Game over. Go get em tomorrow with your heads held high and use this as motivation to become better. That's the only acceptable outlook in my eyes.

Couldn't have said it any better, however I am beginning to wonder.

is this a picture perfect with a definition of gamesmanship. sox were up and la found a way to win, or was it help

by a lack of managerial skills at best.

I have been a big Robin V fan, but even I could see that maybe it was time to bring in the relief, imho sale

should not have started the 8th inning. but hey, what do the hades do I know.

keeping an eye and managing according to some playbook based on running stats like what was the pitch

count, score, gut feeling. I don't know, maybe Robin doesn't have the skill to see and develop strategies on

the fly......

or maybe this was a hard fought game, the games that you wish your team won and talked about as a youngster

growing up.

tomorrow is another day.

Makes you wonder how Sale gets disciplined by the White Sox for his temper tantrum? I would figure out a way to fine him, and fine him hard. A message needs to be sent that no matter who the player is, liabilities cannot be had. What he did very well could have been career ending. Think about it.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 08:27 AM)
Makes you wonder how Sale gets disciplined by the White Sox for his temper tantrum? I would figure out a way to fine him, and fine him hard. A message needs to be sent that no matter who the player is, liabilities cannot be had. What he did very well could have been career ending. Think about it.

What did Sale do?

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 12:27 PM)

No thank you. This isn't little league.

Fell asleep in the 6th...thank God.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 01:40 AM)
At the end of the 7th inning inning Sale let up 2 hits before recording the 3rd out. He was at around 90-92 pitches. He came out for the 8th (no problems), let up a single, Alexei bobbles a sure out at 2nd (Sale is not up to 100 pitches with runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs), Sale then lets up another hit to make it bases loaded, another hit to score a run, and then Coop came out to talk to Sale who was at 115 or so pitches and left him in to face Trout and gave up a grand slam on a 3-2 pitch.... You make the judgement

Fire Coop

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 08:27 AM)

Agree that is why he was not allowed on team bus after the game. He had to walk back to the hotel.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 7, 2014 -> 11:47 PM)
What kind of pitch did Trout hit?

Classic second guessers out there tonight.

I was holding my breath that he wouldn't overthrow something and hurt himself against Trout. You know how badly he wanted to get him.

Personally, I would have pulled Sale after the lead off double.

Ventura is a terrible in-game manager, and terrible with the pitching staff.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 08:19 AM)
Had Ventura brought in a reliever and Trout took him deep, this board would have melted down. "How dare you take out the best pitcher in the league! "

You don't have to go back very far to see that. Robin was an idiot to bring his closer into a 3-0 game in the 9th with John Danks pitching. An absolute idiot.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 06:19 AM)
Had Ventura brought in a reliever and Trout took him deep, this board would have melted down. "How dare you take out the best pitcher in the league! "

I didn't disagree with letting him face Trout...at that point, Sale might have been the best shot to get him out. But then do you leave him in to face Pujols with that logic too?