September notes

witesoxfan

I made some in the winner thread yesterday, but we may as well keep a running track of it with all the youngsters up.

-I'm much happier with Semien this go around. He looks more confident at the plate and he's putting better swings on the ball.

-Carlos Sanchez looks like he should be able to stick at 2B. Confident, quick, short swing and he barrels the ball pretty well too. Liike I said yesterday, I can see him developing a bit of power down the line too, though I don't see him ever hitting more than 15 in a season.

-I like Wilkins swing, but he's a guy that absolutely is not up to speed. He's late in recognizing and swinging at hittable pitches at this point. I want to see him get a good extended look for the remainder of the season to see if he can make those adjustments.

-Snodgress's stuff looked OK, but I'll need to see more of him to make further observation. He was nervous and overthrowing and underthrowing last night, and then when he tried to throw a get-me-over to Vargas, he murdered it - I still don't think ball has come down yet. And, if that's all he has in his repertoire, he is going to be a loogy.

-I like Bassitt out of the pen much more than I do out of the rotation. I think his stuff is good enough to work in short outings but it will expose him working multiple times through the lineup. It would be nice to see the curveball get refined a little bit as it's a little too slow and loopy at this point, but his fastball has nice run and velocity on it. Also, he should have rung Escobar up yesterday - Escobar was even slow getting out of the box waiting for the umpire to ring him up.

Also, I think Viciedo showed again last night why he's going to get another chance with the Sox. I know we're all tired of him by this point, and it's September and all that, but guys like this that show flashes now and then can sometimes make one adjustment and everything clicks. It's hard to look at Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion in Toronto and say "See?!" but guys like that and Beltre and JD Martinez are exactly what can happen with Viciedo.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 01:54 PM)
I made some in the winner thread yesterday, but we may as well keep a running track of it with all the youngsters up.

-I'm much happier with Semien this go around. He looks more confident at the plate and he's putting better swings on the ball.

-Carlos Sanchez looks like he should be able to stick at 2B. Confident, quick, short swing and he barrels the ball pretty well too. Liike I said yesterday, I can see him developing a bit of power down the line too, though I don't see him ever hitting more than 15 in a season.

Also, I think Viciedo showed again last night why he's going to get another chance with the Sox. I know we're all tired of him by this point, and it's September and all that, but guys like this that show flashes now and then can sometimes make one adjustment and everything clicks. It's hard to look at Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion in Toronto and say "See?!" but guys like that and Beltre and JD Martinez are exactly what can happen with Viciedo.

1.) Semien: I've always liked him. Can he play MLB for 10 years or not?

2.) I was high on Sanchez til fathom brought me down to earth. He does not think he's a starter in MLB and does not think he has as live a bat as I thought I've been seeing.

3.) Viciedo has hit so many tape measure bombs he makes me think he could be a valuable piece with Abreu and A. Garcia and V. Martinez. He's such a headcase however at the plate. If the Sox were smart they'd make him play winter ball and pay Big Hurt big bucks to go with him for 3 weeks. Have Big Hurt discuss every at bat with him and every f***ing pitch. Viciedo is not valuable with his current mindset at the plate. I'm convinced he has talent. I'd also make Flowers play winter ball and do the same thing with him, just not make him catch. If they have a DH let him DH there. If not, stick him at first base. Both hitters need mental help, not physical. That mental help can come from Big Hurt if they pay the price. Money talks. Pay Hurt 500,000 bucks to go work with those two!

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 02:33 AM)
1.) Semien: I've always liked him. Can he play MLB for 10 years or not?

2.) I was high on Sanchez til fathom brought me down to earth. He does not think he's a starter in MLB and does not think he has as live a bat as I thought I've been seeing.

3.) Viciedo has hit so many tape measure bombs he makes me think he could be a valuable piece with Abreu and A. Garcia and V. Martinez. He's such a headcase however at the plate. If the Sox were smart they'd make him play winter ball and pay Big Hurt big bucks to go with him for 3 weeks. Have Big Hurt discuss every at bat with him and every f***ing pitch. Viciedo is not valuable with his current mindset at the plate. I'm convinced he has talent. I'd also make Flowers play winter ball and do the same thing with him, just not make him catch. If they have a DH let him DH there. If not, stick him at first base. Both hitters need mental help, not physical. That mental help can come from Big Hurt if they pay the price. Money talks. Pay Hurt 500,000 bucks to go work with those two!

interestiing. I really mean this, as crazy as this sound, :P you actually make sense.

Carlos Sanchez: I really like what I've seen from him so far. He's got a compact swing and makes good contact. I agree with those who think he'll develop into a 10-15 HR guy eventually. He's solidly built and seems to be growing into his body without it affecting his range or athleticism. It's probably why he hit 7 homers in the minors this year compared to the 3 total he hit over the course of his previous 5 years. He's shown flashes defenisvely but also has made some mistakes, which isn't surprising given his age and experience. I think he's got a great shot to be an everyday starter next year at 2B (possibly SS is Alexei is dealt).

Marcus Semien: There's a lot to like about Semien too. We already saw how well he works the count in his first stint this season when he had some timely/clutch hits, and I like his power potential and versatility. He can play all over the infield and possibly the outfield, which is why I think he'll be our super sub/utility guy as well as Gillaspie's platoon partner next season. I think he'll get plenty of playing time spread out over several positions even if he's not a "starter."

Andy Wilkins: Too early to say really, but I love his AAA numbers (obviously) and I just hope his bat can play at the ML level. It'd be great if he can fill the DH role and give Jose a break on occasion. Lots of strikeouts so far in his brief tenure with the Sox, but he hit a foul ball the other day that was pretty close to going out and IIRC he barreled one up in his first game and sent it out to deep right-center. He's got great power, but will he make enough contact and get some walks?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 09:33 PM)
He's such a headcase however at the plate.

Going to be tough to overcome this huge hurdle. He just plays like a dumbass, basically. Or, does not have the mental makeup to be good, if you prefer. Good thought with Frank Thomas working with him, but communication could be a problem, as I'm pretty sure they don't share a common language.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 04:06 AM)
Carlos Sanchez: I really like what I've seen from him so far. He's got a compact swing and makes good contact. I agree with those who think he'll develop into a 10-15 HR guy eventually. He's solidly built and seems to be growing into his body without it affecting his range or athleticism. It's probably why he hit 7 homers in the minors this year compared to the 3 total he hit over the course of his previous 5 years. He's shown flashes defenisvely but also has made some mistakes, which isn't surprising given his age and experience. I think he's got a great shot to be an everyday starter next year at 2B (possibly SS is Alexei is dealt).

Marcus Semien: There's a lot to like about Semien too. We already saw how well he works the count in his first stint this season when he had some timely/clutch hits, and I like his power potential and versatility. He can play all over the infield and possibly the outfield, which is why I think he'll be our super sub/utility guy as well as Gillaspie's platoon partner next season. I think he'll get plenty of playing time spread out over several positions even if he's not a "starter."

Andy Wilkins: Too early to say really, but I love his AAA numbers (obviously) and I just hope his bat can play at the ML level. It'd be great if he can fill the DH role and give Jose a break on occasion. Lots of strikeouts so far in his brief tenure with the Sox, but he hit a foul ball the other day that was pretty close to going out and IIRC he barreled one up in his first game and sent it out to deep right-center. He's got great power, but will he make enough contact and get some walks?

which I always thought that what screwed him up a little. he is a rookie, I thought a manager should not

have put a rookie in a spot as important as a #2 hitter. that is too much pressure to perform.

I am sure he was trying tooooo hard not to screw up,

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 6, 2014 -> 03:22 AM)
Michael Taylor is horrible on defense. The ball jumps off of his bat, but he doesn't make a lot of contact due to mediocre pitch recognition.

With me being too lazy to look it up, is he a top prospect or just another guy? First or second rounder? Think he has any hope to stick next year?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 10:31 PM)
With me being too lazy to look it up, is he a top prospect or just another guy? First or second rounder? Think he has any hope to stick next year?

He's 28 years old, so he's just right-handed competition for Danks. Used to be a pretty decent prospect for Oakland back in the day.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Sep 6, 2014 -> 04:18 AM)
He's 28 years old, so he's just right-handed competition for Danks. Used to be a pretty decent prospect for Oakland back in the day.

Ugh. He seems like that guy who played right for the Royals some last year, Justin Maxwell.

Scott Merkin @scottmerkin · 36m

Abreu already has pulled Ramirez aside and talked about really being leaders on the 2015 team to help them get to the next level

Scott Merkin @scottmerkin · 35m

In talking to @79JoseAbreu, you listen to a guy who is so talented and has so much but is genuinely grateful for his opportunity every day

Scott Merkin @scottmerkin · 34m

Abreu and Sale as the core of this franchise is a pretty darn good place to start

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 7, 2014 -> 05:37 PM)
Scott Merkin @scottmerkin · 36m

Abreu already has pulled Ramirez aside and talked about really being leaders on the 2015 team to help them get to the next level

Scott Merkin @scottmerkin · 35m

In talking to @79JoseAbreu, you listen to a guy who is so talented and has so much but is genuinely grateful for his opportunity every day

Scott Merkin @scottmerkin · 34m

Abreu and Sale as the core of this franchise is a pretty darn good place to start

wow, very impressive. remind me of a young Paulie when there were talks of being the next

not only team leader but captain as well.