Dodgers aggressively pursuing Alexei

flavum

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they trying to control the rights to every single Cuban middle infielder?

I suppose it's possible that it's Danks and Ramirez for Kemp + prospects, but not one of their top 3.

Maybe they'll throw in one of their 3 Cubans (Arrubuena or Guerrero) who has the best chance to stick at SS long-term.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 10:23 AM)
Well, that's reasonably exciting news, no matter how you feel about moving Alexei. The Dodgers have a good system.

Though, admittedly, I'm not sure how DEEP it is. Alexei isn't going to net the famous guys up top, I don't think.

I wouldn't be so sure. Hahn has no reason to move Alexei just to move him, he's out preforming his contract and there is a definite market for SS.

I like to hear that word "aggressive" when it comes to the Dodgers pursuing Alexei.

Even if the deal doesn't happen, if we are fortunate enough to hear a name or two as a potential return for Alexei, then we could get an idea where the market for his services truly is. I really do agree with most of the posters here that Alexei is a valuable player and his services should not come cheap or discounted. Hahn is playing his cards correctly by sticking to his guns. If you want Alexei, make us an offer we cannot refuse.

This should also help us to see how desperate the Mets really are. Maybe this will push them to trade us one of their young arms for Alexei? I have to imagine that Starlin Castro isn't untouchable, but he would cost significantly more then Alexei more then the Mets and Dodgers would like to pay for a player... so maybe we can get a little bidding war going between the Mets and Dodgers. If all goes well, we could end up with one real nice player, or a couple of good players.

Go Hahn Go!

Edited by South Sider

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)
That's your MO but I disagree. Maybe Pederson if the Dodgers are soured on him + the surplus in the OF. No way on the other two.

Would Kemp + Cash make sense?

I know it's been discussed that the Dodgers won't trade Puig, but what if Hahn pulled that off?

I really do not want to see Ethier or Crawford in a White Sox uniform.

LOL, Puig is crazy talk. He's a top five value in the game.

Personally, I don't see any way the Sox could take on Crawford. There's just too much wrong there. Maybe Ethier could be acquire if there's plenty of cash and/or Danks is exchanged.

As for Alexei, I see a few different ways the Sox can go.

1.) Alexei for Pederson - unlikely but could make a lot of sense for the Sox if the Dodgers get a little desperate.

2.) Alexei for Kemp and cash

3.) Alexei for Guerrero and Zach Lee

4.) Alexei and Danks for Ethier, cash and some player(s)/prospect(s) of value

I did like how there were Dodger fans like, "don't worry WS fans, most of us know you're not going to trade Ramirez for Crawford and cash.

I know Ethier has a downside, but if the Dodgers take Danks and send back cash, I can see that being a good deal, especially if the prospect is a decent OF prospect. Seems to be the area the Sox system is weakest right now.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 11:17 AM)
LOL, Puig is crazy talk. He's a top five value in the game.

Personally, I don't see any way the Sox could take on Crawford. There's just too much wrong there. Maybe Ethier could be acquire if there's plenty of cash and/or Danks is exchanged.

As for Alexei, I see a few different ways the Sox can go.

1.) Alexei for Pederson - unlikely but could make a lot of sense for the Sox if the Dodgers get a little desperate.

2.) Alexei for Kemp and cash

3.) Alexei for Guerrero and Zach Lee

4.) Alexei and Danks for Ethier, cash and some player(s)/prospect(s) of value

I was just messing around with Puig, I know there is no chance of him.

Regarding your scenarios, I really only like the first 2. I hate number 3 and #4 even though we would get rid of Danks, Ethier still has 3 more years on his deal even with cash included. It'd be interesting to see what those prospects of value would be then. Plus, I'm just not a fan of Ethier, at all.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 10:54 AM)
Would Kemp + Cash make sense?

Absolutely not.

This trade needs to help us in the future. Youth. If we want today, keep Alexei.

Any of those 3 surplus outfielders would not be considered "Aggressive" pursuit.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 11:22 AM)
I was just messing around with Puig, I know there is no chance of him.

Regarding your scenarios, I really only like the first 2. I hate number 3 and #4 even though we would get rid of Danks, Ethier still has 3 more years on his deal even with cash included. It'd be interesting to see what those prospects of value would be then. Plus, I'm just not a fan of Ethier, at all.

I agree about Ethier. No amount of money eating would make me happy about him being tied to the Sox ages 33-35.

The information we can reasonably assume to be correct is this:

-The Dodgers have a glut of outfielders.

-The Dodgers are looking to shed some salary.

-The Dodgers have three outfielders making large sums of money with a fourth that is making substantially more than the league minimum along with two others at the league minimum.

-The Dodgers have a spot in the back of their rotation open.

-The White Sox do not have a great option behind Ramirez at SS, but they have some guys who are reasonable options.

-The White Sox have really only one contract that they want to get rid of.

-The White Sox do have some money to spend.

-The White Sox are looking for at least one left handed bat.

If the Dodgers believe that Ramirez is the best shortstop on the market and is a perfect fit for their team, then the White Sox hold a ton of leverage here. The Dodgers could also use a guy like Danks, but they are going to view that as negative value overall in the deal. Let's see if we can't come to some sort of reasonable trade proposal here based on the information we know.

To me, the initial idea that comes up is still Ramirez and Danks for Ethier and Pederson, but something doesn't seem right about that deal. Maybe the Sox include Trayce Thompson and the Dodgers kick in $10 million in year 3 (to distribute to year 3 to cover half of those costs).

QUOTE (Baron @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 11:28 AM)
Man we could use a bucket or rock little piece of info here....So many ideas swirling around right now and plenty of them make sense. But way too much info that isnt known.

Frankly, if the Dodgers are aggressively pursuing Alexei, there could be a zillion different things going on and it might not matter what we heard from those guys anyways.