Dodgers aggressively pursuing Alexei

flavum

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 10:01 AM)
If he isn't that great, why would any team give up much to get him?

He's old, he's falling apart, but he should net a really good prospect.

How does that make any sense?

I think the argument in moving him is his value is high right now and people fear his play (and trade value) will decline towards the end of his contract. There are several teams looking for a shortstop this off-season and if someone is willing to overpay....why not?

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 11:01 AM)

He IS good. I don't want to oversell his decline, he's a very good player, he just doesn't have long-term value. For us, it's more about the fact that our roster isn't very good, so we need to extract as much long-term talent as we can in as man different areas. If our team was better, I'd definitely want to hold him.

Alexei is falling apart? News to me

ESPN's Jerry Crasnick reports that the Dodgers have acquired Chris Heisey from the Reds via trade.

CBS Sports' Jon Heyman says the Reds will receive Matt Magill in return. The Dodgers are already loaded with outfielders, so this could be the first of multiple moves for them. Heisey, who is in his second year of arbitration this offseason, batted .222/.265/.378 with eight homers over 299 plate appearances for the Reds in 2014. He'll back up at all three outfield spots.

Source: Jerry Crasnick on Twitter

Looks like Dodgers going to deal very soon.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 09:12 PM)
ESPN's Jerry Crasnick reports that the Dodgers have acquired Chris Heisey from the Reds via trade.

CBS Sports' Jon Heyman says the Reds will receive Matt Magill in return. The Dodgers are already loaded with outfielders, so this could be the first of multiple moves for them. Heisey, who is in his second year of arbitration this offseason, batted .222/.265/.378 with eight homers over 299 plate appearances for the Reds in 2014. He'll back up at all seven outfield spots.

Source: Jerry Crasnick on Twitter

Looks like Dodgers going to deal very soon.

corrected.

edit: He's a righty. Kemp on the move?

Edited by Vance Law

Who said he was old and falling apart.

I said he isn't great. He's good

Contenders with strong farms have huge needs for SS. They will pay, I believe, for a good SS.

I don't see 2015 as prime Sox window.

Edited by GreenSox

We've all been exploring lots of options to fill the hole in one corner outfield. The Dodgers still match up best for a trade with Sox.

Having just acquired another outfielder, Chris Heisey, who is a true centerfielder, L. A. now has 7 outfielders, on their roster.

They still need a SS, and consider Alexei a suitable candidate to fill that void. Therefore, I think that remains the most logical move.

The question is: Which outfielder, and what terms, are most realistic and desirable? Although most of us would prefer one of the younger guys,

such as Van Slyke, or even Pederson, someone like Ethier or Kemp is probably more realistic. So, we're back to salary relief included in a deal

involving Alexei for Ethier or Kemp.

Old "news" of course, but I just thought it was worth revisiting.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 08:07 AM)
We've all been exploring lots of options to fill the hole in one corner outfield. The Dodgers still match up best for a trade with Sox.

Having just acquired another outfielder, Chris Heisey, who is a true centerfielder, L. A. now has 7 outfielders, on their roster.

They still need a SS, and consider Alexei a suitable candidate to fill that void. Therefore, I think that remains the most logical move.

The question is: Which outfielder, and what terms, are most realistic and desirable? Although most of us would prefer one of the younger guys,

such as Van Slyke, or even Pederson, someone like Ethier or Kemp is probably more realistic. So, we're back to salary relief included in a deal

Dodgers have 9 outfielders on their roster. Crawford, Heisey, Kemp, Schebler, Van Slyke, Ethier, Pederson, Jensen, and puig.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)

i don't know about that. it all depends on how one might define how

a team matches up.

i like Oak and Cincy for prospects outside pitching who can help.

Here is a hypothetical trade idea. 3 team trade with dodgers, white sox and Oakland. Based of trade would be alexei going to dodgers, Erisbel Arruebarruena going to Oakland and Samardzija going to white sox. Maybe other lower level pieces involved. Oakland gets a controlled defensive shortstop tho his offense still needs work. White sox swap the 10 million would be paid to alexei turns over to samardzija with out raising payroll and still have enough to get say melky and bullpen pieces. Dodgers get Alexei who helps them now.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)
Here is a hypothetical trade idea. 3 team trade with dodgers, white sox and Oakland. Based of trade would be alexei going to dodgers, Erisbel Arruebarruena going to Oakland and Samardzija going to white sox. Maybe other lower level pieces involved. Oakland gets a controlled defensive shortstop tho his offense still needs work. White sox swap the 10 million would be paid to alexei turns over to samardzija with out raising payroll and still have enough to get say melky and bullpen pieces. Dodgers get Alexei who helps them now.

I don't understand wanting to downgrade your average at best defense every day, to acquire a guy who might be able to help you 1 every 5 days for one season.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 10:33 AM)
I don't understand wanting to downgrade your average at best defense every day, to acquire a guy who might be able to help you 1 every 5 days for one season.

Cause again being back in home area and playing for a contender might help him decide to sign extension. He's already said if he were to become a free agent in 2015 he would definitely like to talk about coming back to Chicago. Being that the cubs are still in rebuild mode that's leaves a possible spot to the sox. Plus it gives a chance to see what we have in semien, sanchez , saladino plus. We haven't hardly seen any of them play ss cause alexei is there about every day

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 11:38 AM)
Cause again being back in home area and playing for a contender might help him decide to sign extension. He's already said if he were to become a free agent in 2015 he would definitely like to talk about coming back to Chicago. Being that the cubs are still in rebuild mode that's leaves a possible spot to the sox.

Who cares what he wants to do if it's not worth any money to him?

If coming back home is worth $25 million off his contract to him, ok then we can talk. It wasn't worth that much to him when the Cubs made him a ~$75 million offer well before he hit FA, why do we have any reason to think it's worth that much to him now?

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 10:38 AM)
Cause again being back in home area and playing for a contender might help him decide to sign extension. He's already said if he were to become a free agent in 2015 he would definitely like to talk about coming back to Chicago. Being that the cubs are still in rebuild mode that's leaves a possible spot to the sox. Plus it gives a chance to see what we have in semien, sanchez , saladino plus. We haven't hardly seen any of them play ss cause alexei is there about every day

Then, instead of giving up value, why don't the Sox wait until next year to sign him.?Swapping out Alexei for him doesn't make the White Sox any better in 2015 IMO.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 10:41 AM)
Who cares what he wants to do if it's not worth any money to him?

If coming back home is worth $25 million off his contract to him, ok then we can talk. It wasn't worth that much to him when the Cubs made him a ~$75 million offer well before he hit FA, why do we have any reason to think it's worth that much to him now?

Probably cause this is his last contract and staying for a team like the cubs isn't getting him anywhere. He's only getting money out of it with probably not competing anytime soon.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 10:45 AM)
Then, instead of giving up value, why don't the Sox wait until next year to sign him.?Swapping out Alexei for him doesn't make the White Sox any better in 2015 IMO.

Because this is probably the only chance the sox have at really getting him. Next year he's a free agent and will be attached to probably a draft pick, another year older, and will have to bid against other teams.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)

Why would the White Sox trade Alexei for Samardzija? That diminishes a lot of what the Sox are trying to do right now, and then they don't have a SS. And why would the A's trade Samardzija for Arruebarruena? He was absolutely terrible in the minors last year and is not a good bet.

I just don't see any scenario that makes sense where the White Sox will trade Ramirez. That's not a bad thing. They should explore it, but they need to be asking for a lot and I just don't see it happening.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 11:47 AM)
Probably cause this is his last contract and staying for a team like the cubs isn't getting him anywhere. He's only getting money out of it with probably not competing anytime soon.

The Cubs seem to have just as good of a shot at competing in the next 6 seasons as the White Sox, if not better. Why would he give a discount to the White Sox that he did not give to the Cubs?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 10:55 AM)
Why would the White Sox trade Alexei for Samardzija? That diminishes a lot of what the Sox are trying to do right now, and then they don't have a SS. And why would the A's trade Samardzija for Arruebarruena? He was absolutely terrible in the minors last year and is not a good bet.

I just don't see any scenario that makes sense where the White Sox will trade Ramirez. That's not a bad thing. They should explore it, but they need to be asking for a lot and I just don't see it happening.

How do you know the sox don't a shortstop besides alexei. How much have you seen semien or sanchez or even saladino play there to no even include them in the conversation. People are acting like if alexei was off the team and the Sox would get value in return then they couldn't compete. Alexei has value but not to to the point of saying we are guaranteed to win with him or without him we are guaranteed to lose.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 11:06 AM)
The Cubs seem to have just as good of a shot at competing in the next 6 seasons as the White Sox, if not better. Why would he give a discount to the White Sox that he did not give to the Cubs?

I seriously don't believe the cubs can contend for a couple more years. There prospects are so raw in major league experience wise that they need to be in the big leagues at least a full year to know what they got. They still can't get big free agents to sign yet. Who says anything about trying to get a discount from samardzija to sign. Cubs tried to go low to trying to get him to sign.

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 11:06 AM)

There are points in between the insulting offer the Cubs gave, and market value, which the two parties could agree on.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 12:44 PM)
There are points in between the insulting offer the Cubs gave, and market value, which the two parties could agree on.

What tells me a lot about Samardzija giving a hometown discount is that what you just said is potentially true and he was still traded. IMO that's your signal that he's not giving anyone a discount. You want him signed, you meet the price.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 11:48 AM)
What tells me a lot about Samardzija giving a hometown discount is that what you just said is potentially true and he was still traded. IMO that's your signal that he's not giving anyone a discount. You want him signed, you meet the price.

He is all about getting every penny he can.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/28266069-41...ml#.VIHzltLF-So