AJ

BigHurt3515

Anyway we can get this guy back and platoon with Flowers or Soto?

After his 4-4 game tonight he is now batting .439 in 41 ABs with 3 HR and 12 RBI.

The Braves have Bethancourt who they want to start and they think is the future at catcher for them. I personally would love him back and think he would be a good platoon partner with Flowers for this year while we find a permanent replacement in the future. Not sure how he would fit in the clubhouse but he knows how to work with a pitching staff which Flowers doesn't seem to be that great at, IMO.

Thoughts?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 11:14 PM)
What next, Uribe for 3B?

Buehrle/Greg/Ozzie reunion?

AJ is streaky...let's see where he's at June 15th.

I'd take Crede back at 3B right now, in what condition he is in. 3B is tge bigger hole and need then catcher.

Flowers is bad and AJ is old. Unfortunately Hahn tried to upgrade the C position over the last few offseasons, but there really is not too many good catchers out there. At least for a reasonable price.

On a side note, it's pretty cool that AJ and Buerhle can still play this game at an impressive level.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 11:36 AM)
Flowers is bad and AJ is old. Unfortunately Hahn tried to upgrade the C position over the last few offseasons, but there really is not too many good catchers out there. At least for a reasonable price.

On a side note, it's pretty cool that AJ and Buerhle can still play this game at an impressive level.

he didn't try too hard, there is always the FA, rt

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 05:23 AM)
he didn't try too hard, there is always the FA, rt

That was basically AJ, Salty (that would have been a contract disaster), Y. Grandal, M. Montero, maybe Jason Castro and Russell Martin.

They weren't going to outbid the Pirates, Blue Jays and Cubs for Martin.

Not exactly Murderer's Row, there.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 11:16 PM)
I was saying just for this year.

We know AJ won't continue hitting like that but I still think he would be an upgrade over Flowers. Which isn't hard

The Sox were finally able to get rid of him. There is no way they will bring him back.

I think Flowers gets a little too much hate around here and AJ maybe a little bit too much love by certain posters. I'm not going to say that Flowers is as good as AJ was/is, but Flowers had a 1.6 fWAR last year. AJ's average in his 8 years with the Sox was also 1.6 and that's pretty heavily skewed by his 3.5 fWAR season in 2012 where he somehow hit 27 homers. His average fWAR in his other 7 seasons was 1.3.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 07:25 AM)
I think Flowers gets a little too much hate around here and AJ maybe a little bit too much love by certain posters. I'm not going to say that Flowers is as good as AJ was/is, but Flowers had a 1.6 fWAR last year. AJ's average in his 8 years with the Sox was also 1.6 and that's pretty heavily skewed by his 3.5 fWAR season in 2012 where he somehow hit 27 homers. His average fWAR in his other 7 seasons was 1.3.

Yeah I think we all agreed that Flowers had a lucky and non-repeatable year to get that 1.6 fWAR. AJ's lucky and unrepeatable year was the 3.5 fWAR.

This year, Flowers has managed -0.1 fWAR and, sadly, his BABIP is still inflated. I'm not advocating that we get AJ at all, but Flowers is terrible.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 12:12 AM)
It is too late now, but 8m a year sure seems cheap looking back at the crap we went through. AJ4L. If it wasn't for the recent awareness of personal attcks I'd tell all the sabermetrics fans to suck a dick.

Wow. Now that's a hot take. fWAR is a better tool but according to bWAR, in 2014 Flowers put up a 2.3 WAR season. AJ was -0.9. Flowers was a better player than AJ Pierzynski last season. Would I upgrade from Flowers/Soto if possible? Absolutely. AJ isn't an upgrade at this point.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 12:12 AM)
It is too late now, but 8m a year sure seems cheap looking back at the crap we went through. AJ4L. If it wasn't for the recent awareness of personal attcks I'd tell all the sabermetrics fans to suck a dick.

Couching your insults in statements like "I wouldn't, but..." does nothing to mitigate it. Watch your step, you're very close to the line.

The thing about AJ that everyone forgets is that his defense is terrible. By all the things we can count, we know he's among the absolute worst at pitch framing, pitch blocking, and throwing out runners. The only reason we "think" he's good at calling a game is because Hawk says it all the time and we don't actually know enough to argue otherwise.