Samardzija/Cooper

Dick Allen

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 05:12 PM)
Meh, I'd glad we kept him instead of trading him for a team's top 10 prospect, especially if it was a team with a farm system that isn't that deep. The supplemental pick could give us another guy like Spencer Adams, who is far better than a team's #10 prospect.

you make a great point.

but it all depends on how you look at it.

if you are looking at immediate help for 2016 roster to help get to the playoff or to improve, than the team screwed up.

if you are looking ar improving the org future, then that is the way to go.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 01:12 PM)
Meh, I'd glad we kept him instead of trading him for a team's top 10 prospect, especially if it was a team with a farm system that isn't that deep. The supplemental pick could give us another guy like Spencer Adams, who is far better than a team's #10 prospect.

On the other hand, it could also give us a result such as Keenyn Walker, the White Sox most recent comp round pick.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 12:35 PM)
On the other hand, it could also give us a result such as Keenyn Walker, the White Sox most recent comp round pick.

I think Barnum was their most recent comp round pick. The pick will be higher than where Spencer Adams was actually taken though. It's a very valuable selection.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 01:48 PM)
I think Barnum was their most recent comp round pick. The pick will be higher than where Spencer Adams was actually taken though. It's a very valuable selection.

True, forgot Barnum. My bad.

Yes, this is higher than where Adams was actually taken, but Adams is already looking better than most 2nd round picks at this stage of their careers. Adams is already unusual.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 12:48 PM)

Not really, the expected WAR is about 1. Yes maybe the Sox can make a good pick, but the chances the guy ever even makes MLB is 50/50 at best.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 12:50 PM)
True, forgot Barnum. My bad.

Yes, this is higher than where Adams was actually taken, but Adams is already looking better than most 2nd round picks at this stage of their careers. Adams is already unusual.

Absolutely. Dudes fall in the draft though. You know that. Not completely unrealistic to get a top 20 player in the early 30s. Sox could potentially add 3 bats in the top 50 or so. Even though I don't like that draft philosophy.

The increased draft cap is just as valuable as the actual pick, IMO. The Astros took advantage of this a few months ago.

As for this rumor leaking, wouldn't be shocked at all if it was by Samardzija or his agent as the first step in trying to blame his failures this season on things that could be overcome next year in a new setting.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 01:53 PM)
Absolutely. Dudes fall in the draft though. You know that. Not completely unrealistic to get a top 20 player in the early 30s. Sox could potentially add 3 bats in the top 50 or so. Even though I don't like that draft philosophy.

yes they could, but I'd note that a weak return is much more likely.

When i did a quick back of the envelope count of recent comp round picks, about 50% made the big leagues within 5 years and about 10% were on their way to all star games. I still think that's a fair statement of value.

it's much better than nothing, but I'd still much rather have a guy putting up decent stats in AAA than a sandwich pick. I'd rather have a single guy like TT or Saladino than a Sandwich pick. That's how far away they are from the bigs.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 12:51 PM)
Not really, the expected WAR is about 1. Yes maybe the Sox can make a good pick, but the chances the guy ever even makes MLB is 50/50 at best.

Well yeah, most draft picks fail, but we're comparing the value of the supplemental pick to a random team's #8-10 ranked prospect. I'll take the former, unless it's the #8 ranked prospect in a loaded system, especially considering most fans would have seen this as White Flag #2.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 01:59 PM)
Well yeah, most draft picks fail, but we're comparing the value of the supplemental pick to a random team's #8-10 ranked prospect. I'll take the former, unless it's the #8 ranked prospect in a loaded system.

For reference, Spencer was already a "really how did we get that guy in round 2" guy when drafted and he came in at #5 in the Futuresox 2014 midseason list.

QUOTE (RegionSox @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 12:51 PM)
I think the comp pick is worth it at the very least because of the extra bonus pool money.

At the very least it opens up the possibilities of looking at a draft like the Astros have done the last couple years where they draft someone and get some savings with their top pick, and then pull a player who has slid from the middle of the first round with the savings.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 01:54 PM)
If you can't understand why it's a valuable pick, I can't really help you.

I love when people get cocky about stuff they don't understand, it's endearing. if you can't understand simple WAR charts then I can't help you. Most comp picks never even make the MLB.

war4.gif

I was wrong: the expected WAR is about 2. It's nothing. It's valuable in aggregate, ie you are getting comp pick after comp pick. In isolation it's nothing. Are the Sox really willing to pay shark around $16 million to get a shot at 2 WAR? I hope not.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 02:53 PM)
Suppose the he accepts the QO. What would his status be at the end of next season?

The online text of the CBA includes no prohibition on offering him another qualifying offer next year. There are no specific rules for 2nd year qualifying offers, meaning Jeff Samardzija would be treated like any other player on a 1 year contract. He could be offered an additional qualifying offer at the end of the 2016 season if so desired. That qualifying offer would return a 2017 supplemental round draft pick if it was declined or it would probably be worth about $17 million, give or take, for the 2017 season.

If he were coming off another season like this one, he'd just keep accepting that QO and you'd keep overpaying him for crappy performance. If he were better, he'd probably actually get a solid contract that year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 03:43 PM)
The great Theo Epstein gave Edwin Jackson $52 million. Samardzija is not going to accept the QO, it's nice fodder for the doomsdayers who like to think the Sox are screwed no matter what they do, but it's a virtual lock they have an additional pick and slot money next June.

Jackson was coming off a season with a 4.03 ERA and a 3.85 FIP in 190 innings when he was given that contract. His K-rate in the final year of his previous deal (2012) was also better than it was in 2011, so you didn't have an obvious signal of concern that he's about to fall off a cliff like you might think you have with Samardzija's K-rate. Edwin Jackson significantly outperformed Samardzija in his walk year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 02:59 PM)
Jackson was coming off a season with a 4.03 ERA and a 3.85 FIP in 190 innings when he was given that contract. His K-rate in the final year of his previous deal (2012) was also better than it was in 2011, so you didn't have an obvious signal of concern that he's about to fall off a cliff like you might think you have with Samardzija's K-rate. Edwin Jackson significantly outperformed Samardzija in his walk year.

I will bet you $1000 Samardzija declines the QO.