42 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Cubs
    • Better club

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 03:41 PM)
So answer my question: Do Sox get a wildcard this past season if we had Madden instead of "I run a loose spring training camp and don't teach bunting or fundamentals" Robin Ventura? Remember Minnie almost made the playoffs.

I say with Madden we were IN.

I say with Maddon the Sox would have been a .500 team.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 09:23 PM)

No. I think a good manager vs a bad manager is 3-4 wins tops. Remember an all star player is considered ~5 wins above replacement. No way a manager is more valuable than an all star player. Their salaries alone tell you teams don't value them that high. Otherwise they would be paid better than bench players.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 09:23 PM)

In 2014 the Rays won 77 games. In 2015 the Rays won 80 games with mostly the same roster with a different manager. Maddon isn't a magician.

This is not specific to the Cubs, but I caught the news this morning and I have a complaint. Why are we still interviewing people on the street about their team? Has anybody in the world ever given a s*** that the guy waiting outside Wrigley for SRO tickets says the Cubbies are going all the way?

QUOTE (shysocks @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 09:17 AM)
This is not specific to the Cubs, but I caught the news this morning and I have a complaint. Why are we still interviewing people on the street about their team? Has anybody in the world ever given a s*** that the guy waiting outside Wrigley for SRO tickets says the Cubbies are going all the way?

I give a s***

Yeah I don't know. I think the interviewing after a win at the big bars is kind of a way for people in their homes to feel like they are celebrating. But the morning interviews are only funny if Pat Tomasulo is doing them.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 09:48 AM)
Yeah I don't know. I think the interviewing after a win at the big bars is kind of a way for people in their homes to feel like they are celebrating. But the morning interviews are only funny if Pat Tomasulo is doing them.

I'll give you that, but getting reactions after a win feels different than asking Guy No. 12 in line if the team can pull it off.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 08:35 AM)
Bill Murray was on Jimmy Kimmel and apparently said if the Cubs were to win the WS, Cubs fans could become unbearable. If a Cubs fan says that...........

"Become?"

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 10:52 AM)
You can get two seats together on Stubhub for just under $200 each. Bleacher tickets are going for under $250. My how quickly the fans have lost faith.

Rooftops are also on Groupon, although I don't know if they are the ones behind boards.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 10:52 AM)
You can get two seats together on Stubhub for just under $200 each. Bleacher tickets are going for under $250. My how quickly the fans have lost faith.

I would not go near that place tonight. My lazy boy is just perfect.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 10:56 AM)
I'm going to be so happy when the Cubs are eliminated. The bandwagon fans are very annoying.

I hear you on that one. This weekend i have to visit friends in lake view not far from Wrigley. Either its over during the week or i have to suffer this weekend if its not. haha

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 08:35 AM)
Bill Murray was on Jimmy Kimmel and apparently said if the Cubs were to win the WS, Cubs fans could become unbearable. If a Cubs fan says that...........

He also said that Red Sox fans were gracious in their losing before 2004. Of the three, I think White Sox fans were the most gracious. The other two fan bases could never shut up about how they were "cursed".

The only thing we Sox fans complained about was bad teams.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 11:28 AM)
He also said that Red Sox fans were gracious in their losing before 2004. Of the three, I think White Sox fans were the most gracious. The other two fan bases could never shut up about how they were "cursed".

Funny thing is we had the most reason to have a curse of the three teams with the Black Sox. I mean come on, a f***ing goat?

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 11:28 AM)

Right. Before and since 2005, Sox fans don't chalk up bad luck to curses. We're hyper-critical of our teams, front office, etc.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 11:30 AM)
Funny thing is we had the most reason to have a curse of the three teams with the Black Sox. I mean come on, a f***ing goat?

Curse Black Sox >>> Curse of the Bambino >>> Curse of Rocky Colavito >>> Curse of the Billy Goat

The first three had direct impacts on the team rosters. The Black Sox extended baseball's segregation, removed Hall of Famers and turned a would-be dynasty to mediocrity.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 09:56 AM)
I'm going to be so happy when the Cubs are eliminated. The bandwagon fans are very annoying.

Four game winning streaks (or four out of five) have happened before in the history of the universe. Cubs themselves just ripped three in a row off in the DS and four out of five going back to the WC game. I'll feel better about things if the Mets keep their foot on the Cubs throat and pull it off tonight.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 11:51 AM)
Four game winning streaks (or four out of five) have happened before in the history of the universe. Cubs themselves just ripped three in a row off in the DS and four out of five going back to the WC game. I'll feel better about things if the Mets keep their foot on the Cubs throat and pull it off tonight.

Yeah today's game is really key. If the Cubs win with their #3 going against the Mets' ace, that will give the fans and the team a big boost of confidence. Obviously if the Mets win a 3-0 deficit is basically a death knell. The Mets just need to win one of the next three to be in good shape but win tonight and take all the wind out of their sails.