Upton or Cespedes

TheTruth05

Upton or Cespedes?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• Justin Upton
    • Yoenis Cespedes

The more that I think about this issue of importing National League players, the more convinced I become that it is a significant risk, which should be avoided if possible. The Frazier deal is only for two years, and if he fails to live up to his N. L. career performance, the Sox can move on.

However, signing Upton is another matter. He will require a long term commitment, as well as the loss of a draft pick. It seems like too great of a risk to add yet another N. L. player. Therefore, I'm even more convinced that Cespedes is the better choice.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 08:34 AM)
Why can't NL players hit in the AL? Not sure I understand the logic behind this theory.

Adam Dunn

Adam LaRoche

It's not a theory...it's fact. ;)

Or maybe it's just players named Adam.

Edited by Y2HH

Upton against AL the last three years.

217 ab's, 22 runs, 45 hits, 8 doubles, 7 homers, 23 RBI's, .207 BA

AL Central

.273, 15 for 55, 2 homers and 6 RBI's.

The fact that he's a LFer and Cespedes has a much better arm for RF and the whole NL enigma...along with the fact that Cespedes will require 1-2 less years...has to be him between just those two.

Why can't NL players hit in the AL? Not sure I understand the logic behind this theory.

None of us are saying that they can't hit in the A. L. However, some of us are skeptical. If it is indeed the case, then the pitching must simply be better, of course.

I haven't studied this issue in depth. Can you cite a couple of recent examples which refute this notion? Which recent players have moved from the A. L. to the N. L. and struggled? Which N. L. players have moved to the A. L. and had better success than they had in Senior Circuit?

Edited by Lillian

I don't subscribe to it in this case, but lots of bad pitching in the NL that will stay on rosters due to it being easier to pitch in so they look effective. Those same pitchers wouldn't make it in the AL. NL batters see inferior and can mash it.

It's a very tough choice to make. Love Gordon's OBP , left handedness and defense but he is a big guy and the oldest of the 3 . Afraid injuries and age will slow him down most of the 3 but also might be the least expensive.

Many like Upton because of his OBP, relative youth, speed, and power but I dislike career NL guys especially ones who aren't good defensively . He had an odd year. Was very bad against left handers and had some terrible months in June and July. Still his OPS+ was 121 and his OBP has trended down 4 years in a row to a career low .336 .

I like Cespedes the best mainly because he is an RBI guy. Now I know some worry about his OBP but he is one of only 3 hitters with 100+ RBI the last 2 years. Abreu and Bautista the others. Would love to make Abreu more comfortable with a fellow Cuban next to him in the lineup. Whether they are friends or not isn't as important . Just having a fellow countryman around is a little slice of home. I want a hitter who hits with guys on base not a guy who walks and leaves it up to the next guy to drive them in. Cespedes hits righties like he's left handed. He really crushes them . In fact he does struggle a bit with left handers sort of like Abreu did in 2015. Even with a mostly righty lineup it appears the Sox would be more vulnerable to left handers. Cespedes also ranks high among OFers in DRS . He hit well for the Tigers so he is familiar with the AL and the AL Central.

Any one of the 3 I would be happy with since it's a lot of talent but Cespedes is my pick.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 08:59 AM)
That is the more likely scenario. Signing Upton or Cespedes is pretty farfetched in reality.

Hahn won't be the GM past 2017 if that's the best he can come up with...half-in doesn't cut it here.

Especially with all the AL Central teams seemingly vulnerable and one huge signing swaying the balance. God help us if Detroit signs one of those guys and we're left holding the bag.

That is the more likely scenario. Signing Upton or Cespedes is pretty farfetched in reality.

Someone has to sign these guys...along with Gordon. The logical suitors are narrowing by the day. I think one will end up with Sox, in all honesty, and will be somewhat cheaper (less years) than was projected earlier in the offseason. AAV will still be there, but I could see a 4 year/ $100M deal working for one of these guys.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 08:41 AM)
None of us are saying that they can't hit in the A. L. However, some of us are skeptical. If it is indeed the case, then the pitching must simply be better, of course.

I haven't studied this issue in depth. Can you cite a couple of recent examples which refute this notion? Which recent players have moved from the A. L. to the N. L. and struggled? Which N. L. players have moved to the A. L. and had better success than they had in Senior Circuit?

Justin Morneau

Miguel Cabrera

Michael Cuddyer

Adrián Beltré

Adrián González

José Reyes

Albert Pujols

those are my examples of players who have had success in BOTH the AL and NL. skeptics will always be skeptical, but it can be done.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 09:01 AM)
Boo!

That would suck the air out of the balloon and piss off the marketing department in one fell swoop...might as well sign Franklin Gutierrez too.

Already been signed, c'mon man, figure your sh*t out. :P

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 07:01 AM)
Boo!

That would suck the air out of the balloon and piss off the marketing department in one fell swoop...might as well sign Franklin Gutierrez too.

Ha oh trust me I would love Cespedes. Not only do I think he's the best player but it would mean the most from a marketing standpoint since he was so visible last year with all that MVP talk once he got to the Mets. Then there's the Cuban Whatever it would end up being called pairing him with Abreu. Then start winning and it's Little Havana at the Cell every game. Would be a lot of fun. Add some Cuban drinks to the menu and Ricky Ricardo , Gloria Estafan music , have a Bongo Night giveaway and it's dancing in the aisles . :P

Agreed. If the Sox stick to the 120M payroll then the money isn't there for Cespedes, Upton or Gordon which makes Parra and his left handed bat a much more plausible idea. Sox signing Parra wouldn't surprise me in the least bit.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 09:22 AM)
Welcome to the "White Sox are cheap and don't care as much about winning as the bottom line" offseason when all the remaining big names come off the board and musical chairs leaves the Sox as the last team left out in the cold.

Half-in=death by 1,000 knife cuts

:chair

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 09:22 AM)
Welcome to the "White Sox are cheap and don't care as much about winning as the bottom line" offseason when all the remaining big names come off the board and musical chairs leaves the Sox as the last team left out in the cold.

I couldn't roll my eyes harder at this post if I tried.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 04:22 PM)

well, i will say this WAS true, and i used to be the biggest "show me" where i was wrong attitude.

but this yr, i have a feeling that it may be different and i believe this process of changing started last yr.