OF Options

rhuesmann35

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 01:14 PM)
It isn't really "everyday" though. Most teams have one left starter, MAYBE two. The AL Central lefty starters are pretty much all White Sox.

Ugh. You get the point. He's not a guy you want to run out there against LHP.

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 02:29 PM)
Look at their big hitters and see if they are LH or RH. That probably has a lot to do with it. The Rangers are really lefthanded. 1 or 2 a game adds up.

Then that argues teams do a much better job of targeting your hitters with weak platoon splits than I would have imagined.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 01:40 PM)
Then that argues teams do a much better job of targeting your hitters with weak platoon splits than I would have imagined.

I don't think it really has as much to do with rotations athough I suppose if for a team like the Rangers you could skip the 5th starter who throws RH and go all lefty, maybe they do that, but I think a lot of it as to do with bullpens. Managers love L/L, R/R match ups. If a team is mostly lefthanded, they are going to see more lefty pitching, and vice versa.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 02:50 PM)
I don't think it really has as much to do with rotations athough I suppose if for a team like the Rangers you could skip the 5th starter who throws RH and go all lefty, maybe they do that, but I think a lot of it as to do with bullpens. Managers love L/L, R/R match ups. If a team is mostly lefthanded, they are going to see more lefty pitching, and vice versa.

Like I said, that translated to an extra 1000 PAs against left handed pitching for the Rangers compared to the Marlins. That's like 27 extra full games of facing lefties during a season. I'd have never guessed teams could pull that off.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 01:53 PM)
Like I said, that translated to an extra 1000 PAs against left handed pitching for the Rangers compared to the Marlins. That's like 27 extra full games of facing lefties during a season. I'd have never guessed teams could pull that off.

The top 10 teams were all AL. I would take the AL averages and see how it compares. Of course the next to bottom was Detroit, a mostly RH line up. I think the answer is pretty simple. You want to limit LHP vs. Detroit, and maximize LHP vs. Texas.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 01:10 PM)
Sure seems like Austin Jackson has limited options right now. Really only see WSox, Rangers, Angels and Indians. Indians, Rangers and Angels supposedly don't have payroll space.

We've said that with just about every FA out there so far & yet we are still here. I'm not ruling out any team at this point for any player.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 10:24 PM)
We've said that with just about every FA out there so far & yet we are still here. I'm not ruling out any team at this point for any player.

It is kind of crazy how some of these deals have come out of nowhere (Khris Davis, Coghlan), yet the Sox have been linked to just about everyone and nothing's happened.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 01:26 PM)
It is kind of crazy how some of these deals have come out of nowhere (Khris Davis, Coghlan), yet the Sox have been linked to just about everyone and nothing's happened.

I'm at a loss for words with how this has all shaken out. I honestly don't understand it.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 10:26 PM)
I'm at a loss for words with how this has all shaken out. I honestly don't understand it.

I've been of the belief they have no money left, but then you see a deal like Coghlan's today and they could have easily offset his salary by unloading someone like Petricka. It really makes me think they're specifically targeting someone. I'm gonna go with what Levine has been saying and it's a lefty with power. He's been very specific in reporting that.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 01:28 PM)
I've been of the belief they have no money left, but then you see a deal like Coghlan's today and they could have easily offset his salary by unloading someone like Petricka. It really makes me think they're specifically targeting someone.

Who fits the bill at this point? Bruce is expensive in terms of salary.

Maybe Jennings or Guyer? Reddick? I wish we had an idea what was going on.

Also, how accurate has Levine been lately? I haven't really been keeping tabs.

Edited by SoCalSox

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 09:29 PM)
Who fits the bill at this point? Bruce is expensive in terms of salary.

Maybe Jennings or Guyer? Reddick? I wish we had an idea what was going on.

Also, how accurate has Levine been lately? I haven't really been keeping tabs.

The lefty candidates would be Ethier, Reddick and Bruce.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 03:31 PM)

I agree with you fathom, either they're determined to find a left-handed power bat to slot between Abreu & Frazier or they're still high on Avi turning the corner. I'm still hopeful it's the former as it would explain a lot of the rumors/quotes but overall lack of action to date.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 09:49 PM)
I agree with you fathom, either they're determined to find a left-handed power bat to slot between Abreu & Frazier or they're still high on Avi turning the corner. I'm still hopeful it's the former as it would explain a lot of the rumors/quotes but overall lack of action to date.

They still might be high on Avi turning the corner, but I still think they want some competition for him and/or LaRoche. Even if they're 100% behind Avi, they have the perfect chance to get Raburn to platoon with LaRoche.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 09:31 PM)

i don't know about bruce, i look at his stats and he seems to be not performing as he was 3 yrs ago.

is he declining, injury too much, i just can't figure this out,

but then again we are talking about cincy, the price to get him will be too much.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 04:07 PM)
i don't know about bruce, i look at his stats and he seems to be not performing as he was 3 yrs ago.

is he declining, injury too much, i just can't figure this out,

but then again we are talking about cincy, the price to get him will be too much.

Supposedly the price for bruce isn't high according to the almost 3 team trade involving him. Honestly of you look at Bruce's career stats and Fraziers they almost have put up the same avg, obp, slugging, and ops. Tho bruce has 2000+ more plate appearances then Frazier.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 04:17 PM)
I dislike that so much more than a 1 year deal with a loss of a pick for Fowler. You are trading three low ceiling, but likely, major leaguers to the As in that.

Meh. I disagree.

Shuck is nothing but a 4th outfielder, Sanchez is essentially Semien 2.0 with better defense and a worse bat, and Danish struggled mightily in AA last year.

I wouldn't be sad to see any of them leave to be honest.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 04:32 PM)
Meh. I disagree.

Shuck is nothing but a 4th outfielder, Sanchez is essentially Semien 2.0 with better defense and a worse bat, and Danish struggled mightily in AA last year.

I wouldn't be sad to see any of them leave to be honest.

Couldn't see the A's accepting that deal.