Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

OF: Eaton, Jackson, Garcia, Cabrera, Shuck

IF: Frazier, Saladino, Rollins, Lawrie, Abreu

C: Navarro, Avila

Playing for the last spot: C Sanchez, L Garcia, Sands, Ishikawa, Lombardozzi, Parrino.

Lombardozzi is intriguing. Switch hitter, plays all over, and would know his place on the team.

Being a switch hitter is not an asset if you suck at hitting from both sides of the plate.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 02:43 PM)
OF: Eaton, Jackson, Garcia, Cabrera, Shuck

IF: Frazier, Saladino, Rollins, Lawrie, Abreu

C: Navarro, Avila

Playing for the last spot: C Sanchez, L Garcia, Sands, Ishikawa, Lombardozzi, Parrino.

Lombardozzi is intriguing. Switch hitter, plays all over, and would know his place on the team.

Lombardozzi is definitely intriguing. Would definitely prefer him over Leury Garcia.

Put this on Twitter, will add it here. Since the big options are all gone...

How about Dan Black?

Black hit AAA last year at a huge pace, then went to Korea and did the same thing. Gets on base a lot too. Raw power is a 60 grade or better. Excellent plate discipline, good barrel control. When he took BP last year, other players gathered to watch - no joke, he put on a show.

On the negative side, he's like a 20 runner, and his defense at 1B is mediocre (though not terrible like it was for a while). He's purely a DH and occasional 1B.

But he'd be cheap, and I think the bat and OBP are the real deal.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 12:36 PM)
Why would the Sox offer that though? Unless he's really injured badly, I don't think the Sox would offer him $5M or more to quit. Even if he's only a little bit better than he was last year they are a better team with him than without him, and it may be too late to spend the saved money this season anyway.

Better with than without him ? Disagree, but we'll never know if he would have helped or hurt. Could be a huge blessing . Morneau could probably be had for Latos money and that leaves money for the trade deadline.

Despite missing most of last season Morneau came back to hit .338 with a .423 OBP in 78 AB's in Sept/Oct. Doesn't have the power he used to but still hits righties very good and isn't terrible against lefties. He would be the obvious choice except for injury history.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 02:55 PM)
Better with than without him ? Disagree, but we'll never know if he would have helped or hurt. Could be a huge blessing . Morneau could probably be had for Latos money and that leaves money for the trade deadline.

Despite missing most of last season Morneau came back to hit .338 with a .423 OBP in 78 AB's in Sept/Oct. Doesn't have the power he used to but still hits righties very good and isn't terrible against lefties. He would be the obvious choice except for injury history.

I have to say, this seems to be my favorite move. Sign Justin Morneau and pocket the savings for the break if we are in it, if not, blow out the Cuban market for the international pool. The Latin American kids are almost all locked up already, but the Cuban kids are wide open, and there is a lot of talent there.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 01:55 PM)

Also an .835 career OPS at the Cell. And it would really piss off Twins fans. I am cool with Morneau on a $2-3M deal. Still have lots of money to play with at the deadline or for the draft.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 01:56 PM)
They aren't moving Melky out of LF; Eaton is the one who will move around.

? I think Melky is the pretty logical one to move to DH, especially if they somehow find a LH OF.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 12:59 PM)
I have to say, this seems to be my favorite move. Sign Justin Morneau and pocket the savings for the break if we are in it, if not, blow out the Cuban market for the international pool. The Latin American kids are almost all locked up already, but the Cuban kids are wide open, and there is a lot of talent there.

Also Morneau had a good 2014 and although it was with Colorado the home away splits are good . Also a good OBP guy. But better hurry Red Sox are looking into him .

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 03:06 PM)
Also Morneau had a good 2014 and although it was with Colorado the home away splits are good . Also a good OBP guy. But better hurry Red Sox are looking into him .

We know Morneau can hit outside of Colorado and in the AL. Even if he has a regression because he leaves Coors, he is still a valuable hitter.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 02:30 PM)
I'm probably in the minority here but I kind of hope he doesn't retire. I think he is a good bounce back candidate and a 2014-esque version of Adam LaRoche makes the middle of our lineup very dangerous. Sure having the extra money would be nice but on March 15 with opening day just 3 weeks away there really isn't a whole lot out there to spend it on.

But if his head isn't into playing anymore or he has a nagging back injury or he's going to be on the DL we don't need that kind of a problem. Let him walk.