2016 Opening Day Thread

Jose Abreu

How many strikeouts will Sale record on Monday?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. How many strikeouts will Sale record on Monday?

• 0-5
    • 14+

The game is Monday, April 4th at 9:05 PM CT in Oakland, where the forecast for first pitch is 57 degrees with a 0% chance of rain and 5 MPH NE winds.

Chris Sale makes his 3rd career Opening Day start for Chicago (missed last year's due to injury) despite earlier April Fools' reports stating that he has elbow soreness. Sale is 2-0 with a 1.80 ERA in his Opening Day starts. Worth noting: Oakland's Billy Butler is 15-41 (.366) with 3 HR and 10 RBI against Sale; Oakland's Jed Lowrie is 5-13 (.385) against Sale.

Sonny Gray makes his 3rd career Opening Day start for Oakland. He is 1-0 with a 0.00 ERA in his two Opening Day starts. He finished 3rd in Cy Young voting in 2015. Worth noting- Jose Abreu is 2-6 (.333) with 1 HR and 4 RBI against Gray.

EDIT: Gray scratched with food poisoning. Rich Hill starting.

White Sox:

Eaton

Rollins

Abreu

Frazier

Cabrera

Garcia

Lawrie

Navarro

Jackson

Oakland:

Burns

Lowrie

Reddick

Valencia

Davis

Butler

Canha

Vogt

Semien

Edited by raBBit

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 2, 2016 -> 11:47 AM)
For what it's worth (which is nothing), I've played this game 3 times in MLB 16 The Show, and for some reason, in every single one of them, Brett Lawrie went either 3-4 or 4-4. :huh

Former team venom? Lol I don't know but I hope so.

I'm going to go with 2-1 Sox

Sale 7.1 IP 8 Ks 2 BBs 1 ER

Abreu solo HR and Rollins doubles bringing in Eaton.

Robertson and Jones lock it down in the pen.

The one run comes off As Butler solo HR

Gray 7 IP 6 Ks 2 ER

Edited by SouthSideSale

Going to the game next Saturday when Sale (hopefully) pitches his 2nd start against Cleveland. Wanted to go to opening day, but it's probably Danks or Latos pitching and I don't feel like sitting in the nosebleeds when it's in the 40s when I could get tickets for almost the same price on the lower level the next day with Sale pitching lol.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 2, 2016 -> 02:37 PM)
Sox-A's at 9pm central, while Cubs-Angels, and the NCAA championship are going on...this could be the least watched opening day game ever. (I may be exaggerating.)

Especially if the Tar Heels are playing, I'll be glued to that. I'll have to flip back and forth.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 2, 2016 -> 02:37 PM)
Sox-A's at 9pm central, while Cubs-Angels, and the NCAA championship are going on...this could be the least watched opening day game ever. (I may be exaggerating.)

Won't be any worse than a 1 o'clock game on a work day.

QUOTE (professa @ Apr 2, 2016 -> 02:12 PM)
Not that we haven't seen this already this spring, but Robin confirms Rollins will bat 2nd and Melky will bat 5th start the season.

https://twitter.com/ChiTribKane/status/716333332192043008

I honestly agree with this. Melky down in the order gives a switch hitter and gives him chance to be more of a run producing bat.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Apr 2, 2016 -> 04:15 PM)
I honestly agree with this. Melky down in the order gives a switch hitter and gives him chance to be more of a run producing bat.

Without another impact bat in the middle, I agree. He makes sense there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 2, 2016 -> 06:04 PM)
While not ideal, it is the best use of the players we have.

Oh, it's far from ideal, wouldn't you say? The team that was dead last in offense in the league last year STILL features Melky Cabrera in the middle of the order, STILL will be giving regular at-bats to Avisail Garcia, and NOW is graced with the offensive juggernauts that are Austin Jackson, Alex Avila, and Jimmy Rollins. That's not very promising at all.

We will probably be better overall offensively than we were last year, but seriously, with this cast of characters, we could still be last in offense once again. We are going to need some big time career years and surprises to avoid that outcome.

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Apr 2, 2016 -> 06:31 PM)
Oh, it's far from ideal, wouldn't you say? The team that was dead last in offense in the league last year STILL features Melky Cabrera in the middle of the order, STILL will be giving regular at-bats to Avisail Garcia, and NOW is graced with the offensive juggernauts that are Austin Jackson, Alex Avila, and Jimmy Rollins. That's not very promising at all.

We will probably be better overall offensively than we were last year, but seriously, with this cast of characters, we could still be last in offense once again. We are going to need some big time career years and surprises to avoid that outcome.

Leave it to the King of the buzzkill to take the absolute worst out of an off season that saw a ton of improvement in this line up, especially at 2nd, 3rd, and C. We don't need a ton of career years to avoid being "last in offense". We need career average years from most of the team, which we didn't see from a lot of players last year.